I am now my children's hero. I kid you not, this Lucky Charms Ice Cream tastes like cereal in a bowl. The mouthfeel I have created here will rival ANY ice cream giant. Ben & Jerry's will be begging me for the recipe. Oh wait, I am going to publish it here...lucky, lucky them.
Here's what I did, I soaked the cereal, not the marshmallows, in the cream and milk to get it started; kind of an infusion process, so the liquid would take on a cereal with milk flavor. And yeah, that's been done. But I took it a step further and took the cereal-milk mixture and dumped it in the food processor, pulverizing the tiny bits of cereal with the milk and cream to create the "real" cereal flavor. It turned out to be a magical idea. Then I made a custard and the rest is history. It was all kind of brilliant on my part.
It's so yummy looking. Don't have an ice cream maker? Here's my favorite one.
It tastes like you are eating Lucky Charms, straight out of a cereal bowl. You add in the marshmallows at the end of the ice cream making process and well, it's magically delicious!!
Your kids are going to love you for this, and well, adults WILL like it as well. So good, so good. Have I ever steered you wrong?
Lucky Charms Ice Cream
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (full-fat if possible)
- 1-1/2 cups Lucky Charms cereal (marshmallows removed)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Lucky Charms marshmallows
- In a large pouring vessel combine cream, milk and buttermilk. Add cereal (no marshmallows) and let soak for 15 minutes, stirring at least twice. Pour contents into a food processor or blender and blend until cereal is pulverized into bits. Mixture will be slightly frothy and thick.
- Pour milk mixture and sugar into a large saucepan. Heat on low until the sides of the pan are slightly bubbly and mixture is starting to warm. Stir constantly. Remove a 1/4 cup of the milk mixture and mix with egg yolks in a separate bowl. Add another 1/4 cup and so on, until egg mixture is at the same temperature as what is in the saucepan. Add egg mixture to the saucepan and stir until mixture coats the back of a spoon, do not boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Cool completely and place in the refrigerator until mixture is very cold, preferably overnight. Add mixture to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufactures direction. When Ice cream is done, pour in marshmallows while machine is still churning. As soon as they are combined, turn off machine and place ice cream in freezer until hardened, about 4 hours.
It tastes even better when you serve it in a sweet little cup. Try it!!!
Other Lucky Charms Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Lucky Charms Marshmallow Treats
Lucky Charms Cupcakes
Lucky Charms Martini
Lucky Charm Treat Pops
Boozy Lucky Charms Cereal Milkshakes