Lucky Charms Ice Cream is not the end of the rainbow, but just the beginning of some magically delicious, cereal-infused milk with pots of gold and colorful marshmallows in every bite.
Lucky Charms Ice Cream
There’s no other way to describe this ice cream other than it tastes like over-the-top cereal in a bowl (which is a good thing).
This particular ice cream has a very pleasant texture and mouthfeel with the help of heavy cream, whole milk and buttermilk. The cereal bits and Lucky Charm’s marshmallows add the perfect crunchy interest.
The ice cream’s best flavor comes from a sort of infusion process created by soaking the cereal, not the marshmallows, in the cream and milk to get it started. As a result, the liquid takes on a cereal with milk flavor. I took the flavor profile a step further by pulverizing the cereal-milk mixture in the food processor and it’s these tiny bits of cereal with the milk and cream that made the “real” cereal flavor. If you’re an ice cream lover like me, you’re going to appreciate this extra step.
Lucky Charms Ice Cream Ingredients
This end of the rainbow ice cream tastes magically delicious, just like the cereal.
heavy cream – high fat content of heavy cream coats ice crystals, preventing them from enlarging and is what makes ice cream feel smooth on the tongue; think mouthfeel
whole milk – make sure it’s full fat
buttermilk – adds a nice tanginess and look for Bulgarian buttermilk, it’s a version of cultured buttermilk where the cream cultures are supplemented or replaced by yogurt cultures and fermented at higher temperatures for higher acidity; it can be more tart and thicker than cultured buttermilk and is really delicious
Lucky Charms Cereal – buy the big box, you’ll want the extra for garnish
granulated sugar – adds the sweetness
egg yolks – size large and save the egg whites for breakfast
vanilla extract – flavor booster
GET THE FULL (PRINTABLE) LUCKY CHARMS ICE CREAM RECIPE BELOW. ENJOY!
What Does Lucky Charms Ice Cream Taste Like?
It really does taste like you’re eating Lucky Charms cereal straight out of the cereal bowl, which makes it novel and fun.
Your kids are going to love it and I’ve never had an adult turn down a bowl.
It’s a fun St. Patrick’s Day dessert, but is a welcome treat all year long.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Favorite Ice Cream Maker
My favorite simple, ice cream maker, and it doesn’t take up a lot of room.
Additional Topping Ideas
More St. Patrick’s Day Desserts
These desserts are better than a pot of gold, so make it a sweet celebration.
- Irish Cream Cake
- Chocolate Guinness Doughnuts
- Key Lime Cupcakes
- Potted Chocolate-Mint Puddings
- Guinness Sundae
FYI: Please join our NOBLE PIG FACEBOOK GROUP for a more in depth look at recipes, cooking tips and other member contributions.
IF YOU DO MAKE SOMETHING FROM NOBLEPIG, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE HOW YOURS TURNED OUT! TAG @NOBLEPIG ON INSTAGRAM WITH YOUR CREATION. DON’T FORGET TO RATE THIS RECIPE AND LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW. ALSO FOLLOW ALONG ON INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR LOTS OF FOOD INSPIRATION AND A PEEK INTO EVERYDAY LIFE.
Lucky Charms Ice Cream
- In a large pouring vessel combine cream, milk and buttermilk. Add cereal (no marshmallows) and let soak for 15 minutes, stirring at least twice. Pour contents into a food processor or blender and blend until cereal is pulverized into bits. Mixture will be slightly frothy and thick.
- Pour milk mixture and sugar into a large saucepan. Heat on low until the sides of the pan are slightly bubbly and mixture is starting to warm. Stir constantly. Remove a 1/4 cup of the milk mixture and mix with egg yolks in a separate bowl. Add another 1/4 cup and so on, until egg mixture is at the same temperature as what is in the saucepan. Add egg mixture to the saucepan and stir until mixture coats the back of a spoon, do not boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Cool completely and place in the refrigerator until mixture is very cold, preferably overnight. Add mixture to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufactures direction. When Ice cream is done, pour in marshmallows while machine is still churning. As soon as they are combined, turn off machine and place ice cream in freezer until hardened, about 4 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.