Once you realize how simple it is to put together this Super Easy Mushroom Gravy, you just might serve it with everything. We love it on meatloaf, pork chops and petite steaks to name a few of our favorites. It's even fancy enough to serve with a holiday meal.
Gravy does create a lot of stress when it comes to meal making. Everyone has a story about the lumpy-flour laden gravy they were either served or made themselves. But honestly, making gravy, and especially this Super Easy Mushroom Gravy is easier than you think.
Make sure you are using a saute pan with a large available surface area and a good whisk. Do not attempt to make gravy in a nonstick pan as you won't be able to vigorously whisk the flour without scratching your pan.
Button mushrooms work great for this Super Easy Mushroom Gravy and you can buy them already sliced at the market to save you even more time in the kitchen.
Once your mushrooms and onions are sauteed, it's just a mater of reducing slightly before getting your delicious gravy to finish on the stove.
It's such a delicious way to top off so many of your favorite meals. We've also really enjoyed this gravy on plain hamburger patties we've grilled on the barbecue. This mushroom gravy is extremely versatile.
A bowlful is going to disappear quickly. You may want to double the recipe.
Super Easy Mushroom Gravy
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 8 oz package sliced button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 Tablespoon water
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Melt butter in large saute pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute until brown and most of the moisture has been released and evaporated; 8 minutes. Stir in onion and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour, cook 1 minute more. Stir in broth and pepper and bring to a boil. Use your whisk to break up any obvious flour clumps. Turn down heat and let simmer and reduce, about 10 minutes. Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small cup. Slowly whisk cornstarch mixture into broth and continue whisking for one minute. Remove pan from heat and stir in vinegar. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve immediately or reheat later when ready to use. Keeps for several days in the fridge.
More Gravy Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
- The Best 5-Ingredient Sausage Gravy for Biscuits
- Chicken Broth Gravy
- Poor Man's Gravy
- Savory Herb Gravy