This from scratch Strawberry Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake is a deliciously rich cake that is not overly sweet. I've incorporated cream cheese, which is unusual for pound cake. The cream cheese gives the cake a springy crumb texture, richness and tenderness, while keeping the cake moist for several days. It is the perfect choice for strawberry season and beyond. See this recipe MADE ON VIDEO HERE.
I have this little addiction when it comes to fruit in my cake. I love a bite of buttery cake that is chock full of strawberries, blueberries, peaches or whatever might be in season. I've learned the hard way how baking a cake with too much fruit incorporated in the batter can go deliriously wrong. Weight measurement is key with fruit.
I know I have preached here before how important it is to have a baking scale when it comes to baking from scratch. It makes all the difference in the world when it comes to how your baked goods turn out. Plus, if you have a scale, you can weigh your letters, making sure you need only one stamp. So versatile.
You also need a 12-cup Bundt pan. It does not even need to be fancy.
Serve this cake at all your spring and summer gatherings, anytime you can get a hold of fresh strawberries. The combination of strawberry and lemon goes hand in hand when it comes to taste. It's perfect for brunch or afternoon dessert.
Grab a slice and head outdoors to enjoy in the sunshine.
Strawberry Lemon Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- 13 oz (about 2-1/2 cups) strawberries that are washed, drained (on paper towels) and chopped
- 8 oz (1 cup) butter, softened
- 10-1/2 oz (2-1/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs, plus one large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 4 oz (1 cup) confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, more as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 12-cup Bundt pan by greasing it with butter or shortening and flour.
- Prepare strawberries making sure they are as dry as possible. (You do not want excess moisture in the cake.) Set aside.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl.
- With a stand mixer using the paddle attachment or a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2 minutes. With the mixer still running, add the whole eggs one at a time and then add the egg yolk followed by the lemon zest and strawberry extract. Stop to scrape down the bowl. Reduce mixer speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl and beat until batter is smooth. Don’t overmix. With a rubber spatula, gently fold the strawberries into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, spreading it evenly with the spatula. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Set the pan on a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes before inverting the cake onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- In a small bowl whisk the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice together until smooth. The glaze should be thin enough to pour. If not, add more lemon juice in small increments. Drizzle the glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Top with lemon zest if you like.
- Note: Make sure to use room temperature strawberries. Cold fruit will prevent your cake from baking evenly.
Other Strawberry Lemon Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Strawberry Lemon Cream Scones
- Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- Strawberry Lemon Snack Cake
- Strawberry Lemon Basil Pasta Salad
- Strawberry Lemon Sangria