The Best 5-Ingredient Sausage Gravy for Biscuits

The Best 5 Ingredient Sausage Gravy your breakfast just got better
Have you guys seen the wildfires burning out of control here on the West Coast? It's so awful! And really, I'm not anywhere near them, but the sky here is still covered in a thick layer of smoke. I think the wind from the North is funneling the smoke into our valley from Washington state.

The swirly, grey haze coupled with temperatures in the nineties, is just really depressing. Walking outside and smelling the smoke and feeling the heat makes me feel "bleh". I can't even imagine what it's like to have to fight these fires in these types of conditions (or any condition). I really hope we get some type of rain soon to help. However, that doesn't seem likely.

The Best 5 Ingredient Sausage Gravy sausage
Of course the fire situation has nothing to do with biscuits and gravy, other than looking to comfort food in times of feeling dull. And biscuits and gravy sure would brighten my day.

So, here's a tip, when browning sausage or ground beef, use a potato masher to smash the meat into smaller pieces while it's still cooking. This way you do not have any large lumps in your final dish.

The Best 5 Ingredient Sausage Gravy ready for breakfast
This particular recipe has two REALLY specific ingredients that make it great; Jimmy Dean Sausage and Old Bay seasoning. These two items are what make it possible to only use five ingredients....no other seasoning is necessary.

The Best 5 Ingredient Sausage Gravy so easy to make

The Best 5 Ingredient Sausage Gravy
Pour the gravy over your favorite biscuits, (these are mine), and enjoy.

Print Recipe

The Best 5-Ingredient Sausage Gravy for Biscuits

Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com | Serves: 4

Ingredients

• 1 lb package Jimmy Dean sausage, regular flavor
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning

Directions

• Brown sausage, mashing it down with a potato masher while cooking to break into small, finer pieces. Remove from pan and set aside. Add butter to the same pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted add flour, stirring until fully incorporated. Slowly pour in milk, whisking constantly to break up any lumps. Continue to whisk over medium heat until gravy begins to thicken, coating the back of a spoon. Add sausage back into the gravy. Stir in Old Bay seasoning. Serve over your favorite biscuits.

Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Biscuits with Sausage and Sage Gravy
Biscuits and Gravy Dip
Rosemary Beer Biscuits with Stout Sausage Gravy

19 Comments and 4 Replies

1. April 1

This is my exact recipe minus the Old Bay. I’ll have to try that next time!

• Roy 2

I also put in a tea spoon of bacon grease. The best store bought is “McCormicks” regualer the peppery is tooooo peppery.

2. Kristin 3

My cousin is fighting the wildfires out there. He lives in Dayton, OH. He’s also getting married in just 3 weeks! Prayers for all the brave men & women fighting to keep others safe out there.

• Llinda Toan 4

These fires are just terrible here in Washington. God bless your cousin for helping to save homes and lives. I wish for his safety and am thankful for his help.

3. I confess I’ve never made biscuits with gravy and I didn’t know you could add the sausage in with the gravy. I’m going to try this for my kids breakfast tomorrow, I know they’ll love it!

4. I had sausage, biscuits and gravy recently and couldn’t believe I had never tried it before! This looks even better than the version I had so I have to try it again :)

5. Cathy this looks all kinds of comforting! The smoke was heavy here in Seattle this weekend too. Never thought I’d be wishing for rain here but I am now.

6. This is my Hubby’s favorite breakfast! I am still working on getting the seasoning right. I need to try the

7. Growing up in the South, we always had biscuits and gravy. Your version looks so much better than the ones I’ve tried. I know my family would love it!

8. My hubby loves biscuits and gravy … but he doesn’t really like my gravy. Need to make this for him!!

9. This looks absolutely dreamy!

10. Sara 12

We have a lot of smoke here in California too even though we’re a few hours from the fires. This looks amazing, I have actually never had sausage gravy before but clearly it’s time I tried it!

11. I’m so saddened by all the wildfires. My prayers go out to them.
    Biscuits and gravy is one of my favorites. I must try adding Old Bay to it!

12. Helen Livermore 14

Should I drain the fat off from from the sausage?

13. Helen Livermore 16

Thanks Cathy! I am going to make this tomorrow morning!

14. Barbara 17

This is the perfect sausage gravy recipe and very similar to mine, but I’m married to a Cajun. Every time I see “Old Bay Seasoning”, my brain automatically translates it to “Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning” We like it with a ‘bite”!

• Annie 18

That’s what I use in everything, thanks to a friend in Alabama – I’m in Michigan!

15. Linda 19

This was the very best sausage and gravy I have ever made/eaten. My husband raved about it too. Thanks for sharing it. We’ll not make it any other way again. It’s perfection!

16. patty 20

Mine is only 4 – Jimmy Dean Hot and no old Bay

17. Vicky 21

I had never had biscuits and gravy, and when I saw them for the first time, I decided I really didn’t want to try them! But, my taste buds are all grown up at this point in time. “Looks”” good. I may make them.

18. Vicky 22

The easiest way to crumble sausage and ground beef is to plop it in the pan, add water, start smashing. The water will evaporate and the meat will be a nice texture.

I make mine similar to this, but after cooking and breaking up the sausage, just add your flour right into the sausage and cook and stir, and then add the milk, stir and then simmer until thick. There is no need to use all that butter at all, it’s fattening enough already! :-) I also use 1% milk which is all i buy, and it works just fine. I will definitely try the addition of old bay seasoning! Thanks!