We've all had the usual carrot salad recipe; shredded carrots, raisins, mayo. While that's okay, I wanted something a little more exciting with varying textures. For me, food is all about the texture and I am forever seeking how to balance the soft with the crunch.
So I found myself with two bags of shredded carrots that were previously slated for coleslaw, but plans changed. I started thinking about flavors and things that might go together, and of course texture.
Chopped, sweet apples were an immediate choice, along with golden raisins and mandarin oranges. Pineapple might also be a good addition to this salad, but I have not tried it.
The limes are just for garnish and are not included in his salad.
Tangy Sweet Shredded Carrot Salad
- 2 (10 oz) bags shredded carrots
- 1 large sweet apple (Pink Lady), chopped in cubes
- 2 (4 oz) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- juice of one lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix until combined. Refrigerate at least four hours or overnight.
This is a great side dish to serve at your next gathering.
Two Years Ago: Biscoff-Nutella Blondies
Four Years Ago: Blueberry Crisp