Buttermilk Lemon-Scented Cake Loaves

Noble Pig Buttermilk Lemon Scented Cake Loaves
This crazy weather is making me bake. First it was the snow and now it's the rain. Sheesh, like serious flooding rain, for days now. The meadow I normally look out upon is now a lake with a swift moving current. Kind of crazy. Is it just me or are we seeing more "weather" all over the United States this year. I feel like its been a crazy winter.

Do you bake when the weather turns nasty? I can't help myself. And it's not possible to eat everything I whip up, so I have to find homes for all my goodies. It's usually not too hard. When you love to bake, it becomes an urge that must be fulfilled or an itch that must be scratched.

What's nice about this recipe is it makes three cakes. It's perfect if you are having a crowd over or just need to serve a large group. Also, it's not too sweet and is light and airy. This is not a dense pound cake by any means. But it is that perfect afternoon pick-me-up cake. And who doesn't need that?

Lemon Scented Buttermilk Loave Cakes 8 x 4 pans
These are 8 x 4 loaf pans...not 8-1/2 x 4-1/2....it makes a big difference. Make sure to use the right size.

Lemon Scented Buttermilk Loave Cakes makes three

Noble Pig Buttermilk Lemon Scented Cake Loaves slices
Lemon anything always brightens my day...

Print Recipe

Buttermilk Lemon-Scented Cake Loaves

Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com | Serves: 3 cakes

Ingredients

Cake:

• 3-1/4 cups (13 oz) cake flour, more for dusting
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sour cream room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1-1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature

Lemon Glaze:

• 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • zest of one lemon

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare three 8 x 4 loaf pans by spraying with cooking spray and dusting with flour. Place on a baking sheet.
  • Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer beat butter, sugar and lemon zest until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl once they have all been added. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add flour mixture at low speed, alternating with the buttermilk and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined, do not over mix.
  • Divide batter evenly into three pans (I weigh mine to make sure they are the same size.) and smooth tops. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
  • Let loaves cool on a rack 20 minutes before turning them out and placing right side up.
  • While the cakes cool, place all ingredients for the glaze in a bowl and mix until thick, but pourable. Drizzle over cakes. I added a little more lemon zest to the top for looks, but that is optional.

13 Comments and 3 Replies

1. Any kind of lemon cake has me swooning. This recipe sounds great!

2. Kelly Keagy 2

Yum. I have a bucket of Meyer lemons from the backyard tree. Perfect recipe. Thank you!

3. I seriously love everything about this. I do a lot of baking with buttermilk and sour cream. They both add such great richness and texture to baked goods. And, lemon…LOVE!

4. katie 4

This sounds so good… must make ASAP!!!

5. My mouth is watering just looking at these. I heart lemon! And ugh the rain. Send some to CA! :)

6. DC CLARKE 6

hello! New to your blog so thank you for this moment to say Hey!
    I was all set to try this recipe till when gathering the ingredients I discover no cake flour no sour cream only dried buttermilk. argh. Lemon in hand and then the bitter disappointed sigh
    so I came back to your blog and read the whole post. sigh again. You made me smile! glad you are still blogging after 6 yrs!! <3

7. These loaves look so moist and fluffy, I wish I could reach through the screen and cut off a big (real big) piece. Looks amazing!

8. oh goodness, i’ve been craving lemon bread lately! this looks amazing.

9. nancy geragi 9

just made this cake….such a find! i have 2 old nordic ware loaf pans with lemons as the motif on top of the loaf and one that actually looks like a big half slice of lemon . my old recipe was more of a pound cake, dense and rich. these are light and tender and full of flavor! to say the least this is the recipe i will use from now on…. a cup of earl grey and yum! yum!

10. It’s been far too long since I made a lemon loaf, especially considering how fond I am of them. I often have left over buttermilk from making pancakes and never know what to do with it so thanks for the recipe!

11. Pingback: 55 Delicious Buttermilk Recipes Beyond Just Pancakes

12. Pingback: 66 Delicious Buttermilk Recipes Beyond just Pancakes

13. Margaret Thomas 13

Your recipe looks delicious! I do have a question….you call for 2 sticks of butter…are those 1/4cup sticks or 1/2 cup sticks? I’m used to the longer size sticks, but have noticed that all the butter I’ve purchased lately have been the little short 1/4cup sticks…..
    Thanks!

14. hilary 15

Hi, I was curious, how long will these stay fresh? It is only me and my hubby and I see this calls for 3 loaves. Can you freeze it? Put in the fridge? It’s a rainy day here in GA and it would be great to pass the time…plus sounds deelish! TIA!

15. Helen 17

Hello,
    These look delicious! Have you ever made this into a bundt cake? If so, how long would you bake it. Thanks.