The Best Cherry-Orange Sangria

Cherry Orange Sangria
It’s been hot lately, well, hot for Oregon. We tend to melt a little in the Pacific Northwest when the mercury rises…we’re just not used to it. And when it’s hot, nothing tastes better than a nice, cool drink. Especially an adult beverage.

Sangria is the famed drink served throughout Spain and Portugal in the summer months. It is traditionally made with red wine and the white wine versions are often referred to as sangria blanca. I suppose I should call this sangria blanca but that would likely just confuse everyone since it looks red. I’m going to stick with just “sangria”.

Anyway, it is a wonderful drink to serve for a crowd. It’s festive and attractive looking. The possibilities are endless when it comes to the added fruit and it tastes amazing….especially the version I have here.

This recipe concludes my 10 lb Cherry Challenge with OXO and NW Cherry Growers. I didn’t use all 10 lbs in recipes (but almost) because one of the best ways to eat cherries is just as they are. Cherries are part of summer’s perfect bounty and my family and I love sitting around and enjoying them in the raw. Not to mention the cherries I received were so gorgeous, I literally had to put a kabosh on everyone scarfing them down.

Cherry Orange Sangria a pitcher full
Cherries work really well in sangria because their flesh is hardy. When your glass is empty, the cherries are wonderful to snack on after they have soaked up some of the alcohol. They still have a nice crunch to them too.

I really recommend making two pitchers because this disappears quickly!

Cherry Orange Sangria the best youll ever have

Print Recipe

Cherry-Orange Sangria

Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com | Serves: Serves 6

Ingredients

• 1 bottle (750 ml) dry white wine (I used Pinot Blanc)
  • 1-1/2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (about 8 oranges)
  • 1 cup brandy
  • 1/2 cup orange curacao
  • simple syrup*
  • 1 lb fresh cherries, pitted
  • 2 cups red seedless grapes
  • 2 plums, sliced in wedges
  • 2 oranges, sliced in wedges
  • 1 lime, sliced in wedges

Directions

• To a large pitcher add white wine, orange juice, brandy, orange curaco and simple syrup. Stir well.
  • Add cherries, grapes and plums. Chill for 12-16 hours. Stir sangria and just before serving add oranges and limes (adding them before will add a pithy-rind taste to the drink).
  • Fill six glasses 1/2 full with ice and use a slotted spoon to add fruit from the pitcher to each glass. Pour liquid over ice and fruit and serve.
  • *For the simple syrup, add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Cool completely.
  • ~Blueberries work nice in here too but were not used in this recipe. Add a 1/2 cup right on top.

Cherry Orange Sangria summertime drink
Since last weekend I have made this three times! Yes, it’s that good!

Cheers!

Here is a list of other bloggers who are participating in the 10 lb Cherry Challenge! Give them a visit and see what they made.

Sweet Sensations
Maede For You
52 Kitchen Adventures
Bright Eyed Baker
Sweet Remedy
Panfusine
Me and My Pink Mixer

Disclosure: This post is sponsored content by OXO and NW Cherry Growers. As always, all opinions are my own.

28 Comments and 2 Replies

1. Ashley 1

I am a sangria fool lol. It’s my drink of choice usually when we go out to eat – as long as it’s good sangria : ) Love this version with the cherry and orange flavors!

2. So pretty, Cathy!

3. I love it! Hooray for cherry sangria. I think we have the same pitcher too! 😀

4. I want to dunk my face in this and slowly marinate for hours. This definitely looks like the best sangria I’ve seen!

5. Aren’t these cherries gorgeous? So big and so sweet! We love them too! This Sangria looks amazing, Cathy! Wish we could cheers together! :)

6. Oooohhhh I like!! I need to order some of your wine – it has been WAY too long since I have had it!! This sangria would go AWESOME with your ceviche, which by the way I make at least once a month because it has been my favorite for years now. I added in pineapple last time just because I had it to use up. Me having a pineapple laying around the house is so surprising right? ha ha This really looks so good and I am loving all the cherry recipes from everyone working with OXO. I need to get a hold of them, I want 10lbs of cherries too!! ha ha

7. I love seeing a big pitcher of sangria on the table when I go to a barbecue! I am going to have to give cherries a try in it the next time I whip some up –probably tonight 😉

8. I’m totally going to try a non alcoholic version of this and I cannot wait! Love those colors, pretty!

9. Gorgeous, Cathy! I love the colors and all of the fruits you used. Such pretty photography, too!

10. This sound sensational and refreshing. What a tasty summery drink. Can’t wait to make a pitch now.

11. jeri 11

I WAS enjoying a nice cold beer here in NYC where it’s 85 degrees and 300 percent humidity (I do know that’s impossible, but it certainly feels like it). Now I need some sangria.

12. Sangria is one of my very favorite beverages and cherries happen to be my favorite fruit. So I know I would fall was over heels for this beautiful pitcher of goodness. Lovely!

13. Ohhhh my! This looks so yummy!

14. Meghan 14

Gorgeous sangria, Cathy! I definitely need to make a few pitchers of this!

15. katie 15

Loving all the cherry sangria recipes floating out in blog land–need to try this stat… looks uber refreshing.

16. Sheila 16

Ok this looks super luverly…wish I had a glass of it in front of me right now! Just got home from vacation and I’m bushed!

17. Susan 17

Great colors and flavours in this classic wine punch!

18. Mmmm! This sounds fantastic!! I’m so tired of the heat, this would hit the spot!

19. Des 19

Brace yourself….I’ve never even tried sangria before! It always looks so pretty too and so refreshing. I don’t know why I’ve never tried to before. I should totally change that very soon. And yes, us PNWers do not handle heat well. Seriously, when it gets above 80 I am not a happy camper and by this time of year I am always already ready for fall :)

20. What a fun drink to remind me that it is STILL summer and not to rush it along (because I am so excited for apples and pumpkin)- fall is my favorite time of year!

21. This is seriously way too pretty to drink…wow. VERY well done.

22. You are slaying me with all of these wonderful cherry recipes! Gorgeous!

23. Sues 23

I just bought a super huge bushel of cherries and this looks like the perfect thing to do with them!

24. This is making me extremely thirsty! I love this flavor combination of sangria. Beautiful and delicious!

25. Why yes… I DO want to drink that whole pitcher!!! Gorgeous!

26. This is absolutely perfect for this how weather. I can’t wait to make this myself.

27. I love sangria in all forms and this looks and sounds delicious!

The last time I made sangria it was oranges, lemons, grapes, blueberries and a moscato/chardonnay/pinot noir mix. It was divine… and lethal :-) heh

28. Kristen 29

I have really enjoyed seeing everything you’ve done with all those cherries! And this sangria too – sign me up for a glass or two next time we see each other :)