I love, love chicken salad sandwiches and I’ve made so many versions over the years. I love adding avocado, grapes, sunflower seeds, green onion…there are so many possibilities.
It is also the perfect entertaining sandwich. However, when I’m serving chicken salad to company, I like to make it a little fancier and more hardy.
I came up with a dressing I really like and I toast the buns in butter in a hot skillet. I also buy a whole rotissserie chicken just to make sandwiches. I use whole pieces on top and make chicken salad for the bottom layer. It’s really a nice presentation and the perfect texture when you take a bite.
For the bread I use small, crusty rolls. You want a crispy texture on the outside and soft bread on the inside.
The Ultimate Chicken-Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- 3-1/2-4 pound whole rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 crusty 6" rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- Carve off breast portions from the whole chicken and cut them into chunks, about 3-4 pieces per sandwich. Shred and use the rest of the meat to make the chicken salad.
- Combine mayonnaise, seasoned rice vinegar, garlic, pepper and cayenne in a large bowl. Stir until well mixed. Fold in shredded chicken.
- Toast bread in a skillet with butter over medium heat, insides only.
- Divide chicken salad among four slices of the toasted bread. Layer each with romaine lettuce and place three or four slices of the breast meat on top of the lettuce. Top with a second slice of bread.
Serve it to your guests at your next afternoon luncheon with a side of chips.