This salad makes a regular appearance at my house. It looks very summery but I serve it all year long, assuming I can get decent tomatoes.
It’s almost not even a recipe because there is nothing to putting it together. Some light chopping, opening a can and pouring the seasoned rice vinegar over the top. But it’s so delicious, so flavorful. In fact, this would be enough for me to call it a meal. However, I have a husband who claims it’s not a meal without meat. So yeah.
I always have these ingredients in my house. I often run out of lettuce but these ingredients are around…always.
The seasoned rice vinegar is the key (not the regular). It’s the perfect dressing and it’s so low in calories compared to salad dressing. No oil is needed either. Give it 15 minutes to marinate and you are done. I won’t tell you how good it is with crusty garlic bread.
Cucumber, Tomato and Chickpea Salad
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 English cucumber (this is the one without the seeds), chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (Garbanzo beans)
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup chilled seasoned rice vinegar (more or less if needed)
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl gently toss together tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion and chickpeas with seasoned rice vinegar. Let sit for 15 minutes to marinate, stirring a couple of times. Season with pepper and serve.
- Serving size: 4
- Calories: 181 per serving
- Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 36
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 8
Make this and tell me what you think. I know it will become a staple in your house too.