Happy almost Easter everyone. If you have a house full of kids coming over to celebrate, this is the perfect dessert to serve the younger crowd.
Sure you could just buy vanilla ice cream but if you really want to taste a super-extra-vanilla ice cream, this recipe is amazing. As a bonus I added pastel M&M's to the churned ice cream. You would think M&M's would turn into jawbreakers in the frozen ice cream but they don't. The M&M's soften and are crunchy. They look pretty too. Top with your favorite sprinkles and you have an easy to make and serve holiday dessert.
This post is short and sweet since I am still in Hawaii and we are off to the beach. Have a great day!!
Extra Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 vanilla beans
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups very cold cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bag (12.5 ounce) pastel colored M&M's
- Split vanilla beans lengthwise with a knife and scrape out all the seeds into a medium sized saucepan. Place the empty pods into the saucepan as well. Add milk. Heat the milk until warm (about 125 degrees) not boiling, and remove from heat. Let milk cool and place milk-vanilla bean mixture in the refrigerator for 10 hours. This is where you are going to get that extra vanilla flavor. Don't rush this.
- Next day, combine egg yolks and sugar and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; about 5 minutes.
- Return cold milk mixture to the stove and bring just to a simmer. Pour about 1/2 cup of the warmed milk into the egg mixture and whisk constantly until blended. Keep adding the warm milk mixture about 1/2 cup at a time until all has been combined.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture can coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cold cream. Pour through a sieve into a bowl to catch the vanilla bean pods and let cool completely, best if overnight.
- Pour custard into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacture's directions. Chill until ice cream is set. Stir in M&M's and place in the freezer for at least 3 hours and up to one week.
- Serve in a cone or bowl topped with sprinkles.
The kids will really love this. You could also decorate the cones with Easter sprinkles like I did for the Fourth of July.
One Year Ago: Blueberry-Lime Pound Cake
Three Years Ago: Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese
Five Years Ago: What's This Stuff?