Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley + VIDEO

Light and healthy this colorful Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley salad is full of vitamins. It is the perfect healthy choice! See this recipe MADE ON VIDEO HERE.

Southwest Quinoa with a Black Bean Mango Medley 1
Just a quick post to tell you about this amazing recipe.

When I was at the Dole Summit a few weeks ago in Los Angeles, we had this amazing salad. Its colorful palate and great taste had me thinking about recreating it in my kitchen. When I got home I immediately checked a flash drive Dole gave us, hoping the recipe would be there. It was! Isn't it beautiful?

The Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley salad is full of anthocyanins, vitamin C and fiber. The recipe originally comes from Sharon Palmer, R.D. who wrote The Plant-Powered Diet (it's full of recipes too). She spoke to us while we were at Dole, mostly about eating a more plant-based diet.

I'm glad I now have this salad to put into rotation at home. However, I really don't want to share it with anyone. It's a great side dish or a great main dish if served with some tortillas and soup.

Southwest Quinoa with a Black Bean Mango Medley
  You will want seconds and thirds.

Two Years Ago: Margarita Braised Chicken Thighs
Four Years Ago: Electricity or Fire?

Print Recipe

Southwestern Black Bean, Quinoa and Mango Medley

Recipe from: The Plant-Powered Diet by Sharon Palmer, R.D. | Serves: Serves 6

Ingredients

• One (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa (according to package directions)
  • 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped fresh mango
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or 2 teaspoons dried)
  • 1 smaill jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced

For the dressing:

• Juice from 1 medium lemon
  • 1-1/2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric

Directions

• Combine all ingredients for dressing in a mason jar and shake until combined. Place in refrigerator until you are ready to use. Can be made way ahead.
  • Mix together all salad ingredients, drizzle dressing over top and toss to combine. Refrigerate until serving time.

10 Comments and 5 Replies

1. WOW, just beautiful. I love healthy salads like this that have a little spice, a little sweet. Quinoa has such a nice texture for salads, too. What a winner this is!

Beautiful salad…love all of the colors and touch of spices! Perfect addition to a meal.

3. I NEED this salad in my future. I love EVERYTHING about it. Thanks for sharing, Cathy!

4. I love every single part of this medley… now if only a bowl of it were in front of my face!

5. Dee Padgett 7

Love this salad. Love all your recipes and your Blog. However, I must maintain my weight. Down 35 pounds. Feel great. Keep these coming. Dee

• Cathy 8

That is such great news! Wow, wish we could see you. This salad is really low cal and super healthy…have seconds!!

6. Wendy 9

This salad looks great I am allergic to mango plan to substitute apricots I think it will taste as great

7. jodi forsell 11

Any idea what calories per serving is on this?

• Cathy 12

I feel like I remember 160 per cup but I’m really not sure. You’d have to put the ingredients into one of those calorie counter websites.

8. Judy 13

I made this a few days ago. It was ridiculously good. A definite keeper.

9. Sarah 14

Just made this to tonight as a main course with toast on the side. It was tasty and colourful. I added some freshly diced tomatoes and substituted the red onions for sweet onions. I also used cranberry/mango cocktail instead of the lemon juice simply because I did not have any lemon juice in the house. I will make this again & again – thanks for sharing!

10. Andrea Scott 15

I mad this last night and it was delish, I did not have Black Beans in my supermarket but used red kidney beans, which were still YUMMY, Cannot wait to make it again, the Mango in it is perfect. Thanks Cathy, please keep those Salad recipes coming, us folk in Australia are loving it.