Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing

Who doesn’t love chicken salad?  It’s kind of a staple at our house.  And even though I love it simple, with just mayo and celery, I always have a need to change it up.  I also love eating it this way

This recipe was originally a low-cal recipe, aka, no mayo.  I tried it and it just didn’t have the smooth and creamy taste all chicken salad should have.  So, I changed it up a bit, making it a delicious and satisfying lunch.

I might add that the bread used for chicken salad is also an important factor in the taste.  I think sourdough rocks it out perfectly, don’t you.  That little bit of tang in the bread goes a long way.

Give this a try for something new and different.  There is also no reason bacon would not play nicely here.

Chicken Salad with Avocado Dressing
Adapted from Everyday Food

3-1/4 cups shredded cooked chicken (from 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 large shallot, finely chopped
1 avocado, diced small
3 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Hidden Valley ranch dressing powder
3/4 cup Avocado dressing (recipe below)
Coarse salt and pepper
4 large slices sourdough bread, toasted

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, celery, shallot, avocado, mayonnaise, ranch dressing powder.  Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.  Serve on toast.

Avocado Dressing
From Everyday Food

2 avocados
1 cup buttermilk
1 scallion (white and green parts)
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, packed
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, packed
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup water
Coarse salt and pepper

In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients and pulse until smooth.  Will keep up to three days in the refrigerator.

One Year Ago: Huevos Rancheros Salad
Two Years Ago: Acorn Squash Stuffed with Chard and White Beans Drizzled with Agave Nectar

1. Dave 1

Both the dressing and the sandwich recipe sound tasty. I’ll be making this soon. I might have to add a little bacon to the sandwich, though.

2. Looks delicious!

3. Carolyn 3

Do you think you could make the dressing and freeze it?

4. Noble Pig 4

Hmmm, it might be okay…you’d have to try it.

5. Kali 5

OMG! This was so delicious! By the time I had a bite and savoured the taste, my boyfriend ate half of his sandwich! I omitted the shallot and used just green onions and I used sour cream instead of buttermilk. Thank you for sharing!

so yummy!

7. Jason 7

Have a whole chicken in the smoker today to use pull, I can’t wait. I suspect some pepper bacon is going to find it’s way too. Thank You!!!

8. Linda Lee Bradford 8

Just made this today. It was easy to make though I bought a few things, like buttermilk and fresh parsley, that I usually don’t buy. It was good and I will make it again but I put this in my good but not great category of recipes to make.

9. Ryan 9

Made this for dinner tonight/lunch tomorrow. It was amazing! One of the best things I’ve made in a long time. I added the bacon because well… it’s bacon! It was surprisingly easy to make too. I’m going to have to make some more with my left over dressing sometime this weekend :) I could see this becoming one of my favorite lunches to make! Thanks for posting it!

10. Robyn Rands 10

Simply organic makes a Ranch dressing powder. Might be a healthier alternative to Hidden Valley Ranch powder.