Pumpkin, Barley and Sage Soup

Soup weather has hit hard today, very rainy and gloomy all around.  A good day for a fire and just hanging out.

With Fall in full swing, some type of pumpkin soup seemed in order.  This particular recipe is spicy (from the andouiile sausage) and a little bit sweet from the addition of maple syrup.

Served with fresh baked bread it was the perfect afternoon meal.

This soup is so easy to make, no other pictures were necessary.  So enjoy the Fall season and hopefully you have soup weather too.

Pumpkin, Barley and Sage Soup
From BHG

8 oz. cooked andouille or smoked sausage links, sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon snipped fresh sage
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup quick-cooking barley
1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
Garnish with green apple slices and additional fresh sage

In a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven cook sausage, onion and sage in hot oil over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring often.  Add barley, 4 cups water and bouillon granules.  Bring to boiling.  Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in pumpkin, maple syrup and vinegar; heat through.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. garnish with apple and more sage.

Two Years Ago Today:  Pumpkin Pie Martini’s

1. I love anything with sage… this looks delicious. As always, the photo is stunning. :D

2. Lisa 2

This soup looks so good. I love that it’s sweet and spicy at the same time.

3. laura 3

pumpkin and sage is my favorite flavor combination. this looks fantastic.

4. Dawn 4

Oh this is fabulous!

5. wow….that looks awesome…I will definitely try that one.

6. This looks like something I could do. It might be a few weeks from now, because I’m andouilled out. I made a vat of gumbo yesterday for the guys doing the concrete for our shop. After 5 pounds of chicken & 3 1/2 pounds of andouille, I don’t think I’ll look at another link of sausage for at least a month!

7. annbb 7

I’ve been so bad about visiting you, one of my very favorite stops! And every time I come back here I find something that intrigues me! Any soup that combines sage, pumpkin and barley has my name written all over it! That’s three of my very favorite things!

8. Beautiful soup Cathy, another bookmarked. Please send that weather our way, we’ve had no notable rain since the first week of August…and the heat. I want some soup weather.

9. Karen 9

sounds delicious.

10. Kathe 10

Made this for lunch today – thank you for a fabulous recipe, Cathy. My DH doesn’t like spicy, so I used ground turkey breakfast sausage. Added 1 diced zucchini, two handfuls of chopped spinach and 3 sliced mushrooms – Major YUM!!!

11. yes..soup season is definitely here! Sounds so delicious!

12. Flavorful sausage in soup is one of the not very well kept best secrets ever! Here, we are all ready for fall, but summer keeps showing her face. I feel bad to even complain.

13. I love barley in soup, I have never tried pumpkin soup though! I want to try this.

14. Brigit 14

This looks amazing, Cathy! I’m a novice cook and a recent college graduate so I am low on skills and have a tight budget. I don’t have fresh sage but will the dry type suffice? If so, does the measurement stay the same? Thanks!

15. Brigit 15

I am a HUGE fan on your blog. As a recent college graduate and novice cook, I have a tight budget and am low on skills. Can you substitute dry sage for fresh? If so, do the measurements stay the same? Thanks!

16. Brigit 16

Sorry! First time posting…didn’t mean to post twice!

17. Jen 17

This looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing it. I can’t wait to try it.

Brigit – I’m not a seasoned chef, but in general, one teaspoon of dried herbs is the equivalent of one tablespoon. In my opinion, sage is one that is always better fresh but dried should work. You might want to simmer your soup for longer to allow the flavor a little more time to come out.

18. Trixxee 18

Definitely bookmarked. Picture is beautiful.

You have so many tasty new recipes posted! I am loving this soup – perfect for this time of year.

20. Kat 20

AMAZING! I just made it for dinner tonight, the whole family enjoyed it.

21. Joshua 21

Looks great for the cold, damp weather we’re having, but I was wondering what it would be like with diced pumpkin instead of pure (I like my soup chunky)

22. Emma 22

I made this soup last night and it was absolutely delicious. I added a few large handfuls of fresh kale and paired it with a hearty garlic loaf and it was a perfect satisfying and flavorful meal for a COLD blizzardy day in Maine. I will definitely make it again!