Sausage Gravy

What is better than good old-fashioned sausage gravy over buttermilk biscuits. This recipe for sausage gravy goes perfectly with the buttermilk biscuits posted yesterday.

This gravy recipe also has bacon in the mix, giving it an amazing flavor and texture with a twist. We loved it. The bacon drippings also add to the overall flavor....a big plus!!!

What a breakfast we had with this gravy over the warm, flaky biscuits. Heaven.

This is great for the weekends, especially if the early signs of Fall have hit your town like they have here.

Cook bacon in saute pan over medium heat. When bacon is nearly crisp, stir in sausage and sage breaking up any chunks with a spoon. Cook sausage until browned, 8-10 minutes. Transfer bacon and sausage to a bowl; reserve drippings.

Sprinkle flour into hot drippings while whisking to remove lumps. Whisk until mixture thickens and begins to brown. Whisk in milk. Cook gravy over medium-high heat, whisking until thickened and flour taste is eliminated, about 15 minutes. Season gravy with pepper to taste. Stir bacon and sausage into gravy; serve with buttermilk biscuits.

What a meal.

Sausage Gravy
From Cuisine at Home

4 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
1 lb. breakfast pork sausage
1 Tablespoon minced fresh sage
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3-1/2 cups whole milk
Black pepper to taste

1. Biscuits and gravy is an everyday occurence in the Southern States. I must say the onkly time I ever tried this was in a bus station somewhere in Oregon. Certainly not the primo experience you have here:D

2. Dan 2

Ok just when I was going to quit the stuff, lol.

Thanks

3. Your recipes never cease to amaze me. :)

4. Cassie 4

I like a little heat in mine and stir in some cayenne *drool*

5. Do die for. I love bisuits and gravy and so many of the ones you get in restaurants skimp on the sausage and taste like they were made with cream sauce mix. You prove that it’s silly to make shortcuts because it’s not hard to make. I never thought about adding bacon, but bacon does make everything better, so bring it on!

Mmmm…creamed meat!

7. Dave 7

How did you know exactly what I’m making for breakfast this weekend ;)? The biscuits look incredible. Being gluten-free, I make a version with basted eggs and GF waffles and call it Country Eggs Benedict. Thanks for sharing.

8. Arland Dorais 8

I use about a teaspoon or two of Kitchen Boquet, which is a browning and seasoning sauce in my sausage gravy. It darkens it a bit, and adds perfect flavor. I love all your recipes, everything is so easy and soooo good! Thank you!

9. Yum! I really love the bacon and sage you’ve added to your gravy and your biscuits look just about perfect! This would be a great weekend breakfast at my house!

10. LilSis 10

Ahhhh!!! Being from Texas, I grew up on this stuff. Brings back memories. When I was a teenager, I worked in a deli and made a version of this every day for the breakfast crowd.

11. Kimberely 11

I looove this. I have found that if you put your flour and a little milk together in a jar (with a lid) and shake prior to adding to drippings is much easier!

12. melanie 12

I couldn’t wait to make this for breakfast so I made it for dinner instead along with oven baked chicken. My husband proposed to me all over again after he devoured the meal. The gravy is SUPER easy to make and so delicious! Thanks for posting, noble pig is my favorite foodie site ever!!!

13. Susan 13

My family is originally from Texas–my grandmother’s version of this was made with bacon drippings, flour, salt and pepper–no actual bacon or sausage was used during the Depression when she learned to cook–I like your way!

14. if one were to break a low carb diet THIS is what one would eat!!! sweet jesus.

15. dental 15

i make this same pork sausage treat, adding a couple cooked up scrambled eggs into the gravy, seasoned with black pepper and cayenne. pouring it over hot buttermilk biscuits. i call it breakfast stuffing. everyone just raves over it.mmmmmmmmmmm mOO

16. ohh this is he thing i was searching for thanks for the best suggestion….

17. Frank 17

Wow, even after lunch these photos make me hungry! Look’s like the recipe my Grandma used to use when she cooked home made sausage and gravy! Thanks for sharing.

18. I absolutely love sausage gravy. I like lots of black pepper on mine and my biscuits served open face.