Gnocchi Mac n’ Cheese

This takes comfort food to a whole new level...wow. I thought I was in love with Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese and then I was smitten with Ranch Mac and Cheese. But this dish...oh my goodness this is the one.The best mac n' cheese I have ever had.

The little gnocchi make this dish so light and airy and puffy....it's just....well, there are no words.

While making homemade gnocchi is on my culinary bucket list, I used good quality purchased gnocchi for this dishand it was still out of this world. Not to mention a time saver.

You just have to try it, you must!!! We served it with our Noble Pig Pinot Noir and it was amazing. Pinot Noir being the perfect food wine, it cut right through the fatty cheese with its acidic backbone. Itwas just yummy together.

We can't wait to have this again. Soon.

Preheat oven to 375o F. Prepare gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and place gnocchi in a single-layer in a 1-1/2 quart shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.

Pour sauce over gnocchi and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano over top.

Bake gnocchi until they puff and cheese is golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes.

Let gnocchi rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Print Recipe

Gnocchi Mac n' Cheese

Recipe from: Inspired by Cuisine at Home | Serves: 6

Ingredients

• 1 pound purchased or homemade Gnocchi
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon All-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup Milk
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
  • Salt & white pepper to taste
  • 1/3 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Basil leaves for garnish, optional

Directions

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and place gnocchi in a single-layer in a 1-1/2 quart shallow baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
  • Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in flour until it thickens and bubbles, then whisk in milk and Dijon. Continue to whisk mixture and cook until slightly thickened, about 3-5 minutes.
  • Combine Gruyere and fontina, then add by the handful to milk mixture, stirring until melted before adding the next handful. Once all cheese is melted, season sauce with salt and pepper.
  • Pour sauce over gnocchi and sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano over top. Bake gnocchi until they puff and cheese is golden and bubbly, about 25 minutes. Let gnocchi rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Gnocchi Mac n Cheese youve never tasted something so good

Wine Pairing
; 2013 Noble Pig Pinot Noir

58 Comments and 3 Replies

1. Amber 1

My boyfriend and I make our own gnocchi (spinach gnocchi is our favorite — a little work but a fun group project) and we will definitely be trying this out! Thanks so much for the great idea!

2. I have some frozen gnocchi that I made earlier thsi year that would be perfect for this. I LOVE this idea Cathy.

3. Anna 3

This looks very similar to a dish I had at one of my favorite Savannah restaurants this weekend, except I think it was made with orecchiette. My fiance LOVES gnocchi, so I will definitely be making this soon!

4. June 4

Oh my! You’ve done it again.

5. Vashti 5

This looks yummy, I am not a big fan of gnocchi but this just might sway me!

6. Ginny 6

wow! yum! :)

7. Rose 7

Rocco has a gnocchi mac and cheese in his fast cook book that I just flipped over the recipe and dismissed. Now that I have seen your photos, I am definitely trying your version!

8. Susan 8

Besides looking totally over the top, is this actually legal? Oh my gosh!!!

9. Looks fantastic! I’m so making this one. You always have the recipes I want to try right away!

10. Kitty 10

yummmmm, I want to make this right now! xx

11. Andrea 11

Oof. We just made, then consumed, this. Sooo good. Sooo full. Thanks for the recipe!

12. This looks so so sinful, and truly truly delicious.

13. Lawsy. Will you bring this to Iowa, too?

14. OMG this looks amazing. I will make it this weekend for my weekend treat – I LOVE GNOCCHi

15. Julie 15

That first picture, with the bubbly brown cheese and basil leaves, makes me want to dive right in. Yum!

16. Megan 16

I have everything I need to make this and it’s on the menu! We just had Gnocchi last night with tomatoes and basil but I have another package!!!
    You know, It’s a little embarrassing how much food can excite me, but believe me, this recipe does.
    Oh crap. I swore off wine till the weekend. But if I must cave, I must!

17. elra 17

What a delicious dish Cathy. I am sure I am going to like it.

18. Gilly 18

That looks delicious, I’m going to have to try and make it!

19. What a great idea! That’s one of those things I felt I (or someone) should have thought of years ago. Yummy gnocchi baked in cheese sauce? I’m in. I’m so in!

Looks delicious and your photo with that bubbly brown cheesy topping looks fantastic! Definitely a new twist to Mac N Cheese. Thanks for the recipe. I will try it for sure.

21. Hayley 21

This was sooo delicious! Both my picky dad and picky boyfriend loved this! Would definitely make this again!

22. sharon 22

You know…I have tried all your mac ‘n cheeses. THIS, though looks like the mac of my dreams. Great idea.

23. Christine 23

I made this last night and it was divine! The only changes to the recipe I made was to add about 100 grams of imitation crab (just pull it into long pieces and spread it over the gnocchi) and to add a 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil to the sauce! My boyfriend said it was the best thing he ever ate. :)

24. kelly 24

This speaks to me on so many levels it’s crazy. Wow. Saw on FB that you’ve set up shop and are taking orders. Love your wine site & congrats to you for all your hard work. Order is coming :)

25. Definitely an amazing idea!

26. What an INCREDIBLE recipe. I adore gnocchi and can’t even imagine how good this tastes! (still want to try the Buffalo Chicken mac too!)

27. I had not been able to stop thinking about this since I saw your post. I went to get the ingredients today and after I got over the sticker shock from the cheeses, I made it. It was delicious. I think I might add a little more dijon mustard into it next time!

28. Ally_R 28

OMG! I think I am inlove. This combines my 2 favourite things, Gnocci and Cheese. How have I not thought of this before? I have to make this!!

29. Hillary 29

I started reading this blog a few weeks ago and have added so many of your recipes to my queue. My husband and I made this last night and it was delicious. We used mushroom gnocchi, mozzarella (no fontina at three stores I tried!), gruyere, fresh thyme, and extra mustard. Then, we gobbled it all up and began fantasizing about future variations. Thanks for the fantastic recipe.

30. jeanette 30

My husband passes on his thanks. This was delicious. I never had all the cheeses called for, but even with substitutions, it was delish.

Thx for a great recipe.

31. Simon Jones 31

I tried this for Sunday dinner. I didn’t have the cheeses so I used Red leicester and it went down really well. Even had enough for leftover lunch today. I would definitely make this again.

32. Emilee 32

Made this on Saturday, delicious! Although the oil from the cheese on top proves that it may not be the best for you, we couldn’t help but eat the whole pan. Highly recommended!!!!

33. Lauren 33

SO DELICIOUS. just made this tonight with my friends. definitely a keeper.

34. Shannon 34

How many servings does this make?

35. Noble Pig 35

Four.

36. Kam 36

I just made this tonight with potato gnocchi. It was so good!

37. Kati 37

Absolutely delicious. This is the first time I’ve had Gruyere cheese and will not be the last. My life is now complete.

38. Made this last night and it was great comfort food! Thank you!

39. Love the cheese combination… I can’t wait to make this!

40. Alissa 40

Making homemade gnocci is INCREDIBLY simple and infinitely better than the storebought stuff, honestly so worth it.

41. Wendy 41

Are the gnocchi cooked before or do they cook during the baking process?

42. Martha 42

Cathy,

Every time I need a recipe to impress, I look to Noble Pig. I’m going to a dinner party tonight and making gnocchi mac n cheese (the one and only featured) for the fifth or sixth time! I’m not only obsessed with this recipe, but many many others. You’re wonderful, keep it up!

On a side note, I’ve been meaning to find a way to get your Oregon wine all the way down to Louisiana. I must try it if it’s anything like your cooking!

Thanks for all the good advice.

43. Noble Pig 43

We ship wine directly to Louisiana.

44. Jenna 44

I notice that “garlic” is not on the ingredient list so i am not sure how much to add. Also, some of the steps seem to be missing. I assumed you add the milk after cooking the butter and flour mixture.

45. Madeline 46

What type of milk did everyone use?

46. This was D-licious and my very picky husband loved it!! I used shredded chicken breast over top of the gnocchi and added halved cherry tomatoes! This was fantastic and I can’t wait to make it again! Thanks so much for the recipe.

47. Erin 49

I want it for breakfast!! Can’t wait to try it!

48. Jen 50

Oh…my…goodness!!!

49. Oh my gosh this looks amazing!!

50. Jeanne P 52

Just made this for dinner….no leftovers :( The husband and son loved it!!! this will be made again and again!
    Thanks!!!

51. Marcia 53

Where I live it is difficult to find prepared gnocchi but I did find packages of mini gnocchi, so wondering if those would work except to use more than a pound? Also, do you suggest a pasta that would work with the dish since I have all of the ingredients except the gnocchi and that cheese was expensive.

• Cathy 54

One pound of mini gnocchi is the same as one pound of big gnocchi. Also, there is not a substitute pasta for it as gnocchi is filled with potato and is what makes it special. The gruyere cheese is also a very distinctive taste for this dish, I can’t imagine changing it.

52. looks gorgeous, worth trying

53. Oh my goodness, this looks fantastic!! I’m planning on making this soon, yum!

54. jason 57

my mom started cooking this recently and all i have to say is it is the greatest dish ive ever had. ever. hands down.

55. Brianna 58

As macaroni and cheese is both my fiance’s and my own favorite food, I had to make this for him as soon as i saw it. I edited the recipe a bit, replacing the three cheeses listed with preshredded Kraft Macaroni Cheese Blend and Italian Cheese Blend 😉 I cooked this while he was mowing the lawn, and then we sat and ate with a glass of chardonnay. It was like we were already an old married couple! Trust me, everyone needs to try mac and cheese made with gnocchi at least once. This will now be my “go to” recipe for pot lucks and family dinners in the future! 5/5 stars, highly recommend.

56. Stacy Davis 59

I made this last night and it was amazing. I used gruyere and monterey jack and added just a little garlic and nutmeg to the sauce. I loved it! Thanks for the recipe

57. This is my favorite guilty pleasure. I have made it so many times, and I just keep coming back. Cathy, I love all of your recipes………but this one takes the cake. It is a superb blend of magnificence.

58. madsad 61