Panzanella

I know, I know...I've been missing in action for a while. Sorry! I had to go underground and complete a very important project for the McMinnville AVA (American Viticultural Area), an association I am very proud to have membership in. We launched a new website and it was my responsibility to get it up and running. It was an incredible amount work, requiring many, many days of working very late into the night. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the final design, showcasing each of the wineries, vineyards and other members of the AVA in their own unique way.

I urge you to come preview our new site and see for yourself where we make our wine, the amazing people I get to work with every day and mostly, the beautiful place I call home. And for those of you stumped about what to get your dad for Father's Day, I even wrote a blog (over there) about matching Dad's personality with certain wines, you'll have to check it out.

In August we will be pouring our wine at a local event here in McMinnville,known as "Discover the McMinnville AVA".This will be one of our first wine events andI hope many of you "locals" will come out and taste with us.Being on the event committee is another aspect of my life keeping me very busy. Details are on the website as well! Hope to see you there!

Anyway....Bread Salad! Who doesn't love bread salad? It's one of my favorite indulgences. This particular recipe is very summery with all the added veggies. I know you will love it!!

Heat oven to 400o F. Line a jelly-roll pan with foil. Arrange bread cubes in a single-layer on pan. Toast in oven 10 to 12 minutes, tossing once, until evenly browned.

Meanwhile, put tomatoes, onion, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes or until tomatoes release their juices. Toss occasionally.

Add peppers, cucumber and parsley to tomatoes. Let stand at least 15 minutes for flavors to blend. Just before serving, add bread cubes; toss to blend thoroughly.

This was just awesome!

Panzanella
From Woman's Day

Serves Twelve

6 cups cubed Italian bread or rustic bread (stale bread works well too)
4 large ripe tomatoes (about 3 lb), cut in chunks
1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 medium yellow peppers, seeded and cubed
1 large seedless cucumber, quartered lengthwise, cut into 1" pieces
1/3 cup chopped parsley

45 Comments and 1 Reply

1. Mmmm, all the lovely juices being soaked up into the bread makes me swoon. I am heading over to your website now. See ya:D

This is all so exciting! I’m following all your comings and goings on Facebook.

3. This recipe looks so good! I am going to make this for our 4th of July party! And the website looks great! Pat yourself on the back, you did a great job!

4. Tupper 4

Wicked looking salad- I love the colors, and yes, that’s be good for those warm summer days. Oink!

5. I love the web site! Very nice. The pictures are beautiful and the layout is very easy to navigate.

6. This is one of my favorite summer salad and most of the ingredients will soon be available at the farmers market. The new website is great and I’m looking forward to checking it often for info and events.

7. Greg 7

Your new McMinville AVA website is great and so is panzanella. I make a version of this for every lab party I go to. Who doesn’t like bread IN a salad?

8. That looks beautiful and defintely a bit more kicked up than your typical panzanella that is all tomatoes.

Wish I were local and could enjoy your vineyard events. :-( You need to come join some wine events in the Hudson Valley!

9. Julie 9

This looks so delicious! I love all the colors. I’ve never even had bread salad but I’m sure I’d love this.

Not only does it look gorgeous, I’m sure it smells incredible and tastes even better. This is going on my summer list of must makes!

11. Kayola 11

I love the colors in this dish!!! Plus it looks pretty dang yummy! You are one of the MOST AMAZING people I know…I don’t know how you do it all!!! AMAZING I TELL YA!

12. Lydia 12

Panzanella is one of my favorite summer dishes, especially when the tomato season begins (usually in late July for us). It’s also great with some slow-roasted tomatoes tossed in.

13. June 13

Love panzanella and it’s perfect when the garden starts producing. Congrats on the new website. Great work!

14. Pat 14

You have built a beautiful website and, believe me, it is going to draw my Husband and me to the McMinnville area on a roadtrip this summer.
    The Panzanella looks sooooo healthy and I know exactly where my first making of it is going; an eightieth birthday party in Oregon City!

15. Alanvla 15

Great! Especially for the heat wave we are stuck here!

16. Lea Ann 16

I’ve never had bread salad and this just looks wonderful. Fabulous photo. Congrats on the web site – I did subscribe.

17. Cheryl 17

Wow, I guess I did not realize you were a local, I will have to give your wines a try! I love the salad, I have been wanting to make one myself!

18. i don’t know how you do it all woman, i really don’t. i’ve been mia too, but because i’ve had too much housework, pool care, lawn care to do. i feel bad now compared to what you have on your plate.

19. Megan 19

It looks awesome! I cant wait for the vine ripened tomatoes.

20. This looks incredibly good. I’ll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

21. What a beautiful salad, showing off the fruits of the season!

22. The bread salad and the new website are both gorgeous! So glad things are coming together!

Looking good…..pouring wine in August? Great! The new website is super. You deserve a gold medal. Love and panzanella recipe. It looks to be the perfect summer lunch. Very refreshing.

24. Melynda 24

The new site is wonderful! I took a look around, you should be proud. PS the salad looks good too!

25. nina 25

This has to be my alltime favorite salad. The colors are so beautiful and then the taste….mmmm!!!

colorful, flavorful, textureful (new word!), and healthful. bravo. :)

27. Cheryl 27

The colors! WOW! Look beautiful and fresh…and can hardly wait to go see the website! Glad you’re back and so marvelously busy! :)

Have you always had the “subscribe to this entry” option? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted to send myself the recipe. I’m so thick-headed sometimes; it’s probably always been there. Anyhow, I am VERY excited about this. I am making this this week for sure.

29. George 29

i’m gonna try making this since it makes my mouth water…lol.

30. Roberta 30

Oh my!!! This looks so delish and refreshing I want to eat it right now.

31. Katrina 31

Strange, your jam post from yesterday came to my inbox before this one. It just came this morning. So I probably wouldn’t have “complained” that you hadn’t blogged if this had come. 😉
    Perfect summer salad.

32. Janet Barnett 32

I have been doing the eleven day diet, it is great i have lost 3pounds in 2 days.

33. This comes at such a perfect time, as I have a loaf of bread sitting on counter. It’s the right recipe, right mood. I love blogs.

34. Mom24 34

Sounds yummy. I love Panzanella, but I typically toast the bread in a cast iron skillet to avoid heating up the oven in the summer time.

35. Oriana 35

I didn’t know your blog I discovered it thanks to the panzanella recipe you’ve just put up – I love the title and her in Tuscany, pigs are all noble – entirely! Love the pics – perfect colors – the traditional tuscan panzanella dosn’t have bell peppers but I think I’ll try! Oriana

36. I LOVE panzanella and recently made a caprese version that was incredible. If you like caprese flavors, you must try this! (link to thesweetslife.com)

Congrats, you did an awesome job on the website! I’ve bookmarked it for reference for when we get back up there (hopefully sooner rather than later).

38. Mary 38

Nice job on the new web site, and this salad looks great! Thanks for the update.

Mmmmm. My favorite kind of salad.

40. Chris 40

Made this today, however left out the onions (food allergy), yellow peppers (wife’s tastes), and substituted the french bread for an Organic Euro Rye.

It was amazing. The Red Wine Vinegar, tomatos, and oregano add such a depth of flavor after letting them meld that we made this the main dish.

41. Cyndy 41

Okay, you might get two posts since my 1st decided not to stay! LOL

This is gorgeous! I wish I had more time to stay and drool. Instead I’ll rummage thru my veggie drawer and find all these ingredients. Perfect timing. I’m off to make dinner!

42. Danielle 42

This recipe turned out perfectly. I’m actually making it for the second time tonight! I made two additions to the salad to make it more of a main course: pitted kalamata olives and a can of albacore tune in water. These added some needed salt and protein and blended in perfectly with the existing recipe. Thanks for posting all these fabulous recipes!

43. Isa 43

I loved this salad. I’ve used basil instead parsley and after read the comment from Danielle I got inspired and added some anchovies (she used tuna).

44. This just might be the most beautiful panzanella salad on the planet!
    Sam

45. Zed 46

I want to be eating this now.