My youngest son has taken it upon himself to write to the office of the governor of different states. While he has sent out many letters, the first returned was from Governor Mark Parkinson of Kansas.
He felt quite proud receiving his letter as well as some other materials teaching him about life in that state. He couldn't wait to take it to school and share it with his class.
To celebrate, what could be better than a cake replicated as a sunflower, which happens to be the state flower of Kansas. Coincidently, it just so happens to be the time of year when Peeps are available everywhere, easily making the petals on this cake.
Overall, the cake is very striking and would look beautiful on your Easter table. I also think it would make an adorable birthday cake for a little girl's "Sunflower and Ladybug's" party.
Easy to prepare but quite impressive, make it for your family soon.
I wanted a tall cake with layers so I used my favorite yellow cake and milk chocolate frosting recipe and doubled it.
The chocolate chips in the middle are placed in a circular pattern to resemble the seeds in the middle of a sunflower.
Beautiful on the inside and out.
Peeps Sunflower Cake
Adapted from Taste of Home
Your favorite yellow cake recipe (here's mine) doubled, depending on how many layers you want or 2 packages yellow cake mix** (or just one, again, dependent on how many layers)
Your favorite chocolate frosting recipe or 2 cans chocolate frosting
18-20 yellow chick Peeps candies
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Prepare and bake cakes using prepared 9-inch round baking pans (I wanted four layers so I doubled my cake recipe and divided it among four pans; if you make a boxed mix use 2 packages and divide among four pans as well. Making a two layer cake is also acceptable, no doubling required).
After cakes have cooled, make sure to level the tops so the cakes sit evenly on top of each other. Spread the frosting between the layers and over the top and sides of cake.
Without separating Peeps and curving slightly to fit, arrange chicks around edge of cake for sunflower petals. For sunflower seeds, arrange chocolate chips in center of cake.
**I am often asked about which grocery store boxed cake mix I think is the best. Hands down I believe it's Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe, Butter Recipe Golden...their is no comparison.
One Year Ago: Grilled Caesar Salad with Roasted Garlic-Salted Pepitas
Two Years Ago: Guinness Stout Chocolate Layer Cake
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- RT @CompletSavorist: Love the convenience @ReynoldsWrap Disposable Heat&Eat containers #Coupons https://t.co/fZmMt6927x &/or… https://t.co/VEpVLVuCr8, 5 hours ago
- RT @Shockinglydlish: New kids menu at @Zoeskitchen! Ingredients I trust, flavors they love, like pizza piadina. #Fromscratch #nutritious… https://t.co/3Ay6fpRBvV, 10 hours ago
- RT @DramamamaX5: Easy Teriyaki Chicken Tacos for #TacoTuesday #recipe AD https://t.co/hv8jnivGlQ https://t.co/PnvTUhcsbz, 10 hours ago
- Wow! Caramel-Glazed Country #Apple Fritter Bread https://t.co/841HiVOEKb via @wishesNdishes https://t.co/QRXwNBxzxb, 10 hours ago
- Serve it next to the ham! Slow Cooker Sweet Corn Pudding https://t.co/V4KS0pOvmC https://t.co/MjXeatNfAL, 15 hours ago