Macadamia Nut Chicken with Mango-Pineapple Relish

I have finally used up all the pineapple I purchased the other day.  I sort of feel like I took a little sidetrip to Hawaii.  We are experiencing beautiful weather here in Oregon, so pineapple was a wonderful accompaniment to the abundant sunshine we are currently enjoying.

This sticky-sweet relish is the perfect topping for this nutty-crusted chicken.  It was the perfect lunch as we sat outside enjoying an incredible sun-soaked afternoon.  In Oregon you must take advantage of good weather days as we know the rain will soon return.  Right now, it feels like Spring.  I know it’s a trick.

Anyway, this is so easy to make and has an enjoyable flavor and taste.  The crunchy outside and moist inside of the chicken make this texturally enjoyable on the palette.

Whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, fresh ginger, garlic and 1 Tablespoon olive oil.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and place in a large heavy-duty-zip-top plastic freezer bag.  Pour marinade over chicken; seal bag, turning to coat chicken.  Marinate for at least 1 hour.

Meanwhile, combine mango, pineapple and sugar in a medium heavy saucepan.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine macadamia nuts and panko in a shallow dish.  Place flour in a separate shallow dish; place eggs in another shallow dish.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Remove chicken from marinade.  Dredge chicken in flour, and dip in eggs, shaking off excess.  Dredge in crumb mixture.

Heat 2 Tablespoons oil and 1 Tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until butter melts.  Cook two chicken breasts over medium-low heat for 2 minutes (do not burn); turn and cook 3 more minutes or until golden.  Transfer chicken to a lightly greased jellyroll pan.  Repeat procedure with remaining 2 Tablespoons oil and 1 Tablespoon butter.

Bake at 400 degrees for 17 minutes or until chicken is done.  Serve with Mango-Pineapple relish.

Enjoy this flavorful meal.

Macadamia Nut Chicken with Mango-Pineapple Relish
Adapted from Coastal Living

Serves four

1/2 cup soy sauce
1-1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
5 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper
1 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
(take your time to chop these, you do not want large pieces)
3/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tablespoons butter

Relish:
1 cup mango or papaya, diced
1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
1/3 cup sugar

Heat 2 Tablespoons oil and 1 Tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat until butter melts.  Cook two chicken breasts over medium heat for 2 minutes (do not burn); turn and cook 3 more minutes or until golden.  Transfer chicken to a lightly greased jellyroll pan.  Repeat procedure with remaining 2 Tablespoons oil and 1 Tablespoon butter.

1. I can’t wait to try these pineapple recipes you’ve given us. They look wonderful. Thanks Cathy.

2. Glad you are having all that nice weather… Dare to dream, been cold and cloudy for two months here

Saving this recipe. Love all teh summer look to it

I love this, pineapple, macadamias…everything. However, I’m pretty lame when it comes to cutting up a whole pineapple…can you offer up any guidance?

4. Noble Pig 4

No problem…How to Cut and Core a Pineapple…Slice off the crown (the part with the stiff green leaves) and the base of the pineapple. Place pineapple upright on a board and slice downward between flesh and skin, rotating pineapple after each cut. Remove any dark “eyes” (undeveloped seeds)with the tip of your knife. Cut pineapple into quarters. Make a diagonal cut to remove what’s left of the core. Cut each quarter into 1″ or 2″ chunks.

The crust on that chicken is awesome! The relish sounds good too, I love pineapple relish.

6. Lena in VT 6

This is simply heavenly, wow. So easy to make such beautiful chicken!

Wow – what an impressive and elegant dish. This looks fantastic Cathy.

8. These wonderful tropical flavors make me think of summer!

9. Christy 9

Looks Delish…

Does it ever snow in Oregon?? Just curious- it looks so green…

10. Julie 10

I just love this. My family will be subjected to this soon, I know!

11. Noble Pig 11

Here’s the link to my snow pictures….

link to noblepig.com

12. Ginny 12

yum! yum! yum! This is so on the list! :)

13. Katrina 13

Yum. I say if you can’t go to Hawaii, bring Hawaii to you! 😉

14. Julie 14

Yummy!! Where do you find your rice wine? I have been looking for it at Trader Joes, my local grocery and Beverages & More with no luck yet. A website said I could use dry cooking sherry or gin as a substitute.

15. Natalie 15

Have been following your blog for a few weeks but feel that I HAVE to comment on this recipe! It looks absolutely amazing, I’m in Chicago in the middle of a blizzard and I think this is what I need to remind myself that summer is on its way! I think I might have to brave the storm and go the grocery store tomorrow :-) Thank you so much for a delicious-looking recipe and for the beautiful pictures! Will be sure to try soon and of course will continue following your blog! -Natalie

16. Lisa 16

That looks so yummy and makes me want to have summer now! With all the rain in California, spring and summer will be welcome (even though we need the rain) :-)

17. annbb 17

I don’t tell my hubs what the ingredients are in a particular dish, he eats it and LOVES it. This will be one of those dishes!

18. This looks absolutely delicious! WOW.

19. KathyB. 19

Oh this looks so good, I am adding this to my ‘must make’ list. I have never heard of Japanese bread crumbs, it will be interesting to locate these, and if I can’t , what makes them different from bread crumbs from home?

20. How yummy! What a great summertime meal.

eating this must be like being in hawaii, except there a foot of snow on the ground and the wind is howling. :)
    oh, to be in hawaii.

22. Tammy 22

This definitely looks like a dinner you would eat out on the patio with some friends!

23. Noble Pig 23

Mirin is available at the regular grocery store, usually right in the same vicinity as the soy sauce.

24. Noble Pig 24

Panko is available in the regular grocery store, sometimes it’s in the Asian section, sometimes it’s where the other bread crumbs are.  It’s often in a box, but sometimes a bag.  Panko is made from bread without crusts, thus it has a crisper and airier texture.

25. Lisa Sipple 25

Making this for dinner tonight, it sounds so good!!

26. June 26

Looks wonderful and perfect for a patio lunch. I can only imagine how beautiful it is there right now – Oregon’s the only place I’ve ever lived that it really IS Spring on the first day of Spring (March 21). Beautiful!

27. Your chicken looks so refreshing. You know, I have never bought a mango before. They kinda scare me, I don’t know what is ripe and what’s not. LOL!

28. Noble Pig 28
    When choosing a mango, pick one that is plump and heavy for its size. Most importantly, the mango should be fragrant when held near your nose. If you’ll be using the mango right away, you will want to find a ripe one. Mangos are ripe when you can indent them slightly with your thumb. (Avoid mangos that are so ripe, they feel mushy.)
  29. Oh does that ever look wonderful!

30. wow this looks amazing! The crispy crust and sweet topping! yum!

31. Melynda 31

Wowee does this look good. I love macadamia nuts, so much so the ones I bought for baking with are being snacked right out of the storage jar!

32. This looks delicious! I need some tropical tastiness in the 40 degree ice pellets. Ice pellets. In SA. Ridiculous!

33. Linda 33

This is a great looking dish. I can almost smell it right now.
    Thanks for a new twist on chicken.
    I am no pro in the kitchen but I am going to try this for Sunday supper.
    Send us some of your sunshine.
    Seattle, WA
    Linda

34. Golden brown to perfection. your recipes are murder..I can hear the crackling of the pan from the photo!

35. What a feast! Looks so tasty. And I sure am jealous of your Oregon weather!

36. LilSis 36

What an awesome blend of flavors! I’m always looking for new chicken recipes and my son will go crazy over this one. Thanks!

37. I am ready for warm summer weather after seeing your post. It looks like a warm sunny day in that first photo! What a sweet recipe!! :)

38. Love this! Tropical flavors sure do bring sunshine to winter meals. :)

Jenn

39. I love macadamia nuts and I love coating chicken in nuts. Why didn’t I ever think of this?

40. Loving the tropical recipes! 40s and sunshine seems like the tropics here today. LOL Need to buy some macadamia nuts! I bet the mango-pineapple salsa is heavenly. Would be great on fish, too.

Shirley

41. Kathy,
    Made this for Valentine’s Dinner. Absolutely loved it, as did everyone else in the house. I did double the marinade and doubled the chicken for later in the week. Yesterday, I took the extra chicken, sliced it up and cooked it stir-fry style. I added veggies and cashews and it was amazing. Just another way to use that delicious marinade.

42. coke 42

Have you written a cookbook. If not,do so.
    The chicken looks sooo yummy.. We need anything that has color where I live. Our only color this winter is WHITE……

43. analise 43

I have made this 3 times since your post and plan on making for my parents tonight since I’m in town. Seriously on the top of me and my boyfriend’s favorite list!!

44. Greetings Noble Pig!!!

Will be making this recipe this week… I have an odd question for you… i assume from reading your recipe the relish is served over the chicken warm… What would be the problem to serve this chilled over the warm chicken? It sounds wonderful, but I prefer a cold side with the heat and humidity we have in St Thomas…

45. Noble Pig 45

The relish was not heated, just left at room temperature. You are welcome to serve it however you like.

46. Brittney 46

My fiancée definitely said this was a keeper recipe! He loved it, it was delicious!

47. Oh man, that looks soooo good! My boyfriend is a really good cook. He’s probably going to make this for me sometime soon. YUM.

I noticed you were from McMinneville…I used to live in Portland. Miss it a lot. Today it’s rainy outside, so I feel like I have my Portland fix. :)

48. I had someone tell me to make something like this with pecans but I couldn’t image that flavor. Nothing I’m interested in but these pictures are making me want to take lunch early today.

The pineapple to me is the best part. I love the sweetness when it mixes with a nice poultry.

I’m gona tweet this now :)

49. Todd 49

This sounds really good. I have printed and will be trying soon.