Cornmeal-Blueberry Scones

I love scones, but I don’t enjoy making them.  There I said it.  Kneading the dough, shaping it…maybe that sounds lazy but right now life is busy with no extra time for little things like, kneading and shaping dough.

That’s what I love about these scones, you gently stir the batter together, mounding up each scone individually.  So easy!

However, the trick with scones remains; over-handling the batter will make them tough.  Mixing must be kept to a minimum for optimum results.

These scones were quite toothsome with their mix of blueberries, cornmeal and lime zest.  Lime juice was also added to the glaze to really bring home and incorporate the flavors at play.

Overall, a lovely, easy breakfast to enjoy.  Not overly sweet and perfect with coffee or tea.

Using a large spoon, drop dough into 10 or 12 mounds on a large baking sheet that has been coated with cooking spray, leaving 1″ between mounds.  Bake in a 450 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until tops are golden.  Remove from tray immediately onto a cooling rack.

Serve warm.

1 cup frozen blueberries*
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Nonstick cooking spray
3 to 4 teaspoons lime juice
1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted

In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Cut in butter until flour mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Make a well in the center of the cornmeal mixture adding buttermilk, egg and lime zest.  With a fork beat the egg and buttermilk until combined. Stir all the batter together just until moistened being careful not to overmix here.  Toss frozen blueberries with cornstarch to coat; add to flour mixture.  Stir gently 3 to 5 turns, just until berries are incorporated  (do not overmix).

For icing, in a small bowl whisk enough lime juice into powdered sugar until drizzling consistency.  Drizzle over warm scones.  Sprinkle with nuts.  Serve warm.

*Leave berries in the freezer until ready to toss with cornstarch.

One Year Ago: Asparagus Popover

42 Comments and 1 Reply

1. The problem that O often have with different scone recipes is that the dough is crumbly and falls apart…it reminds me of making pastry. This particular recipe doesn’t seem to have that concern at all..and since I love scones I will it a try.

2. Joanna 2

These look lovelye! I adore scones, but also rarely make them thanks to the amount of effort needed. I’ll certainly try these, though!

3. June 3

These look amazing and the cornstarch on the frozen berries is a fabulous idea. I’ll be making these really soon – I hate getting my fingers all “oogey” and this recipe’s a sure cure for that.

4. Lisa Sipple 4

The scones are beautiful! Scone dough is so hard to work with so this makes it so much easier!

5. Do I ever love the looks of these – all crumbly without being dry. Bumpy, rustic and teeming with berries! Could munch on those all day.

6. Those look fabulous and sound SO good and I want one right now and I just finished breakfast! I hear ya about forming scones, but they’re sure good fresh and warm. Sigh.

7. These are the most gorgeous things I’ve ever seen. Do you think if I make them, it will stop snowing? :)

Oh yes, I would definitely love this – the blueberries and lime are divine!

9. I made scones once and that was R. Stuart in Downtown McMinnville’s fault. They served me up a dill scone topped with smoked trout. I wanted to re-create it and did. Beautiful photo Cathy, these look delicious.

I have a hard time and no patience with croissants, so I hear you.
    I made cornmeal pancakes and they were fabulous, so I can imagine how yummy they would be in scone form.

11. barb 11

These look delicious! Good combination of flavors. I like the sweet & salty desserts the best, it’s the best of both worlds!

12. Patrice 12

I was just this morning looking for a pastry of some sort to make for tomorrow’s breakfast. This is just perfect! Thanks!

13. Yum. These look amazing. Right up my alley. Love everything you do!

14. Lena in VT 14

Oh these are beautiful!!

15. Julie 15

Those scones look like little mountains of goodness!

16. Cassie 16

Can you come make those for me right now? I’m hungry but feeling lazy. Not a good combo! :)

17. MMMMMMMM…you had me at cornmeal!

18. Tammy 18

My daughter was reading over my shoulder and is intrigued with the recipe… She would make those, but not eat them, that would be me and my husband’s job, lol!

19. I don’t like making scones either. Boy, the blueberries in these really pop! These would be so easy to make gluten free, Cathy. I am always looking for recipes suitable for our girlfriends’ teas and I like the addition of cornmeal. :-)

Shirley

20. oh yum the combination of blueberries and lime delicious

21. I just showed this recipe to my husband who said they looked good, but he agreed with you on how difficult scones are to make. He said they were a “nightmare”. :)

What chunky yumminess! Scones are probably the one thing I will never attempt, so this might be as close as I get. Besides, there are so many scones critics. I don’t need to be that closely scrutinized with my cooking, thank you!

I’ll take *Cornmeal-Blueberry Scones* for $500.00 Alex! Answer: What is the easy alternative to making English scones? Ka-ching!

23. LilSis 23

I’ve never made scones but these are absolutely beautiful! Almonds, blueberries, and cornmeal…yum!

Now those are my kind of scones.

25. Steph 25

Haha.. I’m the opposite. I love making scones, but not a fan of them. These look really good with the blueberries!

26. Oh yeah! These are my kind of scones too! Your photos are wonderful!

27. Those are the prettiest scones I’ve ever seen! And the photos do them perfect justice. Just lovely!

OK, I could do these scones just fine!

i like the idea of icing and individualized blobs of batter. the add-ins are pretty terrific too. yes, these scones have potential!

30. Oh Yeay! I’ve been looking for some cornmeal recipes – I’ve got TWO boxes in my cupboard that need to be used… AND?? I just bought some blueberries! Perfect!

31. These scones sound terrific especially with all those almonds!

32. Cathy, those look wonderful! I betcha lemon would be good paired with the blueberry as well. YUMMY!!

33. Amanda 33

Wow Cathy, those are just beautiful! I like the idea of how easy this is!

34. elizabethk 34

And WHY did you have to share this!!?? ‘-) Making these tonight!!
    Thank you – oh thank you!

35. Can I just say YUM! I made them with lemon this morning, since I had no lime… I just wanted to scrape the baking sheet when done… almonds, glaze, blueberries… Awesome!

36. Scones are my favorite thing, and these sound great with the cornmeal and lime!

37. Your photographs of food are amazing. Do you have any camera tips to share. Many of my food pictures come out fuzzy. I love scones! This looks like a wonderful recipe and I actually have all the ingredients to make it right now!!!!

38. I love how amazing these look but am not sure I could reckon myself with cornmeal scones. I’m such a snob when it comes to scones that I think I’d be turned off by the texture…but now I’m not sure.

So tempted to give these a whirl!

39. Heather 39

This is the best recipe. The scones were delicious.

40. Rachel 40

I am a culinary student at The Culinary Institute in Hyde Park, NY and absolutely LOVE your blog! It is fantastic.

I have yet to leave a comment, and I noticed these delicious scones and thought to myself…how would they taste if they were made with ‘blue cornmeal’ instead of yellow? The color blue would play off the natural color of the blueberries as well as add a very unique flavor. What do you think?

I’m going to try this and get back to you!

41. I am so glad this internet thing works and your article really helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you gave.Perhaps a guest appearance would be good.

42. Kathy 42

Instead of the icing I would add the touch of lime to honey and drizzle that over them.