Spaghetti with Bacon and Eggs

This is my go to dish when I realize it’s 3:00 PM and I haven’t even thought about, planned or shopped for dinner.  There are certain ingredients I always have on hand….spaghetti, eggs, bacon (uncooked or precooked) and a block of Parmesan happen to be four of them.

This dish, with its limited ingredient list ,really has a nice flavor and makes a very satisfying meal.  The best part, even my one son, who wouldn’t imagine eating an egg together with pasta is happy to just have the noodles and the cheese.  It’s a win-win situation and I never hear any complaints.

This dinner comes together in less than half an hour, which is a lifesaver on those nights where there is so much craziness going on.

Try it out, it might become your favorite too.

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water.  Drain pasta and return it to the pot.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes or use precooked bacon.  Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.  Crumble or dice when cool.

Here’s a tip…for a picture-perfect sunny-side up egg, break the egg into a small dish first, then slide it gently into the pan.  However, if you are cooking on an electric stove with a lopsided burner forget this piece of advice.  Don’t ask me how I know this.

Wipe out the skillet and return to medium heat.  Crack the eggs into the skillet and cook until whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes.

Toss the pasta with the bacon, the reserved pasta water, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan and 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Divide the pasta among bowls and top with the eggs.  Sprinkle with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan.

Spaghetti with Bacon and Eggs
Adapted from Real Simple

16 oz (1 lb) spaghetti
8-10 slices of bacon
4 large eggs
3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Parmesan
Kosher salt and black pepper

1. A great idea – ideal for singletons like myself too. I keep bacon divided into “michelle sized serves” in the freezer.

This is a fried egg carbonara!

(Happy New Year, Cathy, hope it is a good one for you)

2. I love this – it’s spaghetti carbonara without the cream (which is the part I always get wrong, anyway!)

3. Another bacon recipe! And, a better than breakfast dinner–yes! Son and I will love this and Mr. GFE, who doesn’t usually like breakfast for dinner, will love it for the pasta factor. :-) Just need to pick up some gluten-free pasta now.

Thanks, Cathy!

Shirley

4. Mags 4

I love eggs for dinner. Actually I love them for every meal. And I think the combination with the pasta sounds delicious!

This is reason enough to keep your fridge and pantry stocked!

6. My husband wants to come over, NOW! LOL!

7. Sometimes the simple dishes are the best. This does sound delicious and uses ingredients I always have on hand.

8. Love this idea. As a matter of fact I always have those four items on hand. Thanks Cathy

9. This looks great! I make a similar dish, except that I use pancetta and toss the pasta with beaten eggs. You can’t beat it on a hectic evening!

10. Tammy 10

I’ve made an variation of this in a “what am I going to make for dinner” situation! Yours is way prettier though!

11. Simplifying life is am excellent goal for the new decade and starts with what we put in our mouths. Great dish.

12. Angie 12

Looks delicious, I love eggs! I used these ingredients to make a “southern style” carbonara. I add cherry tomatoes. Last time I was out of wine, so I used Guinness, too good!

13. That looks amazing!

14. Trisha 14

While I trust your taste buds . . . how in the world do you come up with some of these combos? Eggs, bacon and SPAGHETTI? What in the world????

15. Josie 15

That looks sinfully delicious. I am not sure if I should thank you for posting it :)

16. I love the egg on top of spaghetti, yum!

I love the way you juggle your ingredients and meals to accommodate the young one who is a picky eater, so he doesn’t feel left out. You are a good mom. I fix this meal sometimes over white rice instead of spaghetti because I usually have leftover rice that I can use. Eggs are good food.

yes we have this for breakfast when it’s going to be a long long long day. I love the broken egg, best part.

19. Oh yummm! Bacon makes everything better!

20. June 20

To heck with the “moderation” plan – “I’ll have what she’s having.” Ha!

21. LilSis 21

I wouldn’t have ever thought to put an egg on top of spaghetti, but I’ll have to try this for my hungry guys!

Anytime I make a recipe with bacon, though, I have to make double because once they smell bacon, they’re in the kitchen wanting a sample. :-)

22. For the kids who won’t eat the egg in the pasta, I make a really easy pasta carbonara in a similar fashion. Cook bacon, reserve, boil up pasta, drain and reserve some cooking water, beat a couple of eggs w/ your cheese, throw a tablespoon or two of the pasta water in, beat it, mix w/ the pasta, throw in the bacon, top with more cheese and lots and lots of pepper. Ohhh yum.

23. Lisa 23

OK then, I think I’ll have this for dinner tonight. It looks delicious!

I am loving this one Cathy. My husband and I would really, really enjoy this meal.

25. Dawn 25

This sounds amazing and I love that dry spaghetti shot.

26. I have chickens so we always have fresh eggs available. Looks yummy. I have become a fan of turkey bacon.

27. Mary 27

What a great quick fix meal. It’s a bit like pasta carbonarra. I like this a lot.

28. i love runny egg… And you are right, i always have all of this on hand!

Oh my. That’s brilliant, I’m definitely making it!

30. Oh my gawd. Just as I was thinking “Cathy’s waffles with bacon would be so good right now” I saw this recipe. You’re killing me with all the bacon. 😉

I never thought of putting bacon and eggs on top of spaghetti!

32. Kayola 32

I want to try this…I think my hubby would eat it but not sure if my sons would…….to me it looks great! I would have never tried an egg on top of spaghetti……

33. This sounds delish! I would have never thought of serving an egg over spaghetti.

34. Oh WOW, looks amazing with the oozy egg yolk!

35. What a great idea for when you are in a rush. I always have cooked bacon in the freezer!

36. KathyB. 36

This is a great recipe to make when my grandchildren stay overnight with us! They like all the ingredients and I am getting tired of Ramen & macaroni and cheese, or hot dogs~ this offers variety, familiar variety. Thanks!

37. Love this! We go to a place for breakfast on the beach here in LA and Emma always orders the breakfast pasta–theirs uses scrambled eggs plus some sausage.

38. That sounds like a winner!!

39. I’ve never actually had eggs on pasta – I think it looks amazing though!

40. Donna 40

I love the thought of the sunnyside egg, rather than the way you make carbonara. Yolk, mmmm.

41. Julie 41

I’ve never head of such! Interesting. I’m not into runny yolks, wonder how scrambled would work…ha!

42. Linda 42

Cathy,
    I made this for dinner tonight and it was a hit with everyone! I cooked the eggs to order (hard fried for the little ones) and had requests to have “breakfast spaghetti” again!! Loved it. Thanks so much!!

43. This looks terrific! I wonder if my kids would go for the egg on top. Hmmm. My daughter is up for just about anything so I bet she’d try it. I ate up all of my pasta this evening so I’ll have to grab some more tomorrow and give this a go.

and a fine go-to it is! heck, this is more special than most of the meals i take days to plan out! :)

45. Now that’s an intersting meal. I never would have thought to put eggs, bacon and pasta together.
    I’m not so sure my guys would attempt this one.

46. I would love to try this but I know the kids would freak out when they saw it. Me and hubs will have to do it without them!

47. Angie 47

I used these same ingredients to make a southern style carbonara, but I used Guinness instead of a white wine to make the sauce.

Oh Dear! I think I’ve just died & gone to Heaven, where I’m sure they serve this. I suggested this to Mr. Snoots & his face lit up like a light bulb. Score!!!

Thanks!

49. Bella 49

The husband initially thought this was a disaster, however I insisted on making it anyway. He loved it! I made one slight alteration – when frying off the bacon, I put one garlic bulb in, which I took out once the bacon was done. Added just a little touch of garlic. Thanks for this recipe, I can see it becoming one of my staples.

50. First, you say 3/4 cup parmesan and then you mention 1/2 cup. The original used 1/2 cup and I’m guessing you used 3/4 but didn’t switch the amount the second time.

On a lighter note, I tried this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for the post.

51. Phuong 51

I love spaghetti and eggs – this is such a great recipe.

52. Heather 52

You see this everywhere throughout Europe, but was something I never thought of before I moved to France and then Spain from Britain. Eggs on Pasta, eggs on rice, eggs on pizza..you name it, they do it, and oh my god it is delish!

53. Dolores 53

We had this for dinner this evening… a definite repeater! Thanks for sharing!

54. Emily 54

I saw this and it made me smile! When I first met my fiancé he introduced me to “spaghetti omelets”, left over spaghetti mixed with eggs and cheese and cooked up in a skillet, an old family tradition. I thought it sounded strange, until I tried it, and LOVED it! Now we tell everyone about it and people think we’re weird but… it’s too good for me to care lol! The story behind spaghetti omelets is that his uncle and dad woke up after a night out, with hangovers, and were starving but when they looked in the fridge all they could find was some left over spaghetti, eggs and some shredded cheese… and so began the tradition of spaghetti omelets for brunch haha! =)