I love anything with pumpkin as a main ingredient, it always plays nice with other flavors in a recipe. With all the cold and blustery days we have had here in Oregon, soup has most definitely been on my mind. Today those thoughts of a warm dinner served with buttery, crusty bread came to fruition.
This meal turned out amazing, even my husband, who is not necessarily ecstatic when it comes to eating a vegetarian dish, he usually wants some kind of meat, was very happy with the end result. In fact he loved it.
The soup was very thick and hearty with a tangy taste brought on the addition of balsamic vinegar. Overall it was an A+ as far as taste goes. The soup is also very easy to make, another plus in my book with the busy schedule I have been keeping lately.
If soup is in your near future give this one a try, I think you'll enjoy it.
In a large pot sauté red onion, garlic, cumin, kosher salt, cinnamon, allspice and pepper in oil on low-medium heat until red onion and garlic are brown; about 3 minutes.
In a food processor or blender puree the beans and tomatoes with half of the vegetable broth. Add pureed ingredients, pumpkin and the rest of the broth to the pot.
Simmer uncovered until thick, stirring often and scraping the bottom, about 40-45 minutes. Before serving stir in balsamic vinegar.
Garnish with baked pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
We also added a dollop of sour cream. If you like heat, add some cayenne while the soup is simmering.
Have a safe and insane Halloween night!
One Year Ago: Last Minute Halloween Slackers
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- RT @LemonTreeCathy: Garlic & Herb CHEESY POTATOES!! You're gonna love them! https://t.co/8IwEgF42NX @Crystal_Farms #CrystalFarmsCheese… https://t.co/wQk85U4qCH, 22 mins ago
- RT @wearychef: Favorite Baked #Spinach #Dip Recipe https://t.co/GoJAZAQmlD This spinach dip recipe is a must make for your next pa… https://t.co/5aSl5JvKw7, 22 mins ago
- Whoa! Skillet Apple #Pie Biscuits https://t.co/6MVefgxWqU via @Melissa_MSSK https://t.co/mSQ0AxPn0Q, 3 hours ago
- RT @Shockinglydlish: Love old #Hollywood? This is THE book for you! L.A.'s Legendary Restaurants: lore + #recipes… https://t.co/yBM3ubGFlt, 3 hours ago
- RT @DramamamaX5: Easy #eggnog pancakes are perfect for the holidays! #recipe https://t.co/WINe0jmShy https://t.co/dTkI530nc8, 3 hours ago