It only seemed fitting to make this with all the crazy heat around here. Not to mention my blueberry trees (yes, they are that big) are loaded...I mean loaded with berries.
It has been fun going outside and picking these, bringing them inside and creating a meal. I not sure who loves it more...me or the kids.
I searched for the perfect blueberry ice cream recipe, I didn't have to look further than my own cookbooks. Dorie Greenspan had this recipe for Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream. Wow.
It almost looks like sorbet but is so rich and decadent tasting. There is almost a cheesecake taste to this ice cream. This made the hubby very, very happy.
It really was so simple to make and it came together very easily.
Let's make it together...
In a medium saucepan cook blueberries, sugar, salt, lime zest and juice over medium heat, stirring, until mixture boils and the berries pop and soften, about 4 minutes.
Pour the berry mixture into a blender and whirl until a seemingly homogeneous puree is achieved, about 1 minute. The mixture will not be completely smooth. Add the heavy cream and sour cream and pulse to blend. Taste and add a bit more lime juice or sugar if you choose.
Pour the blend into a bowl and refrigerate until it is chilled before churning into ice cream.
The color is so beautiful, I think it screams summer.
I also think a bit of chocolate sauce over this might be in order.
Blueberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream
One Year Ago Today: Uninvited Guests
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- I want them all! Chocolate Peanut Butter #Cookies https://t.co/oFv3h7LvU9 via @Buns_In_My_Oven https://t.co/5OpgMOc1Vb, 3 hours ago
- Why does the power only go out when it's dark? @ McMinnville, Oregon https://t.co/ufNz3KBWiq, 14 hours ago
- Layered Chocolate and Peanut Butter Brownies https://t.co/hkE31T5x64 #NationalBrownieDay https://t.co/TF4frt92wr, 17 hours ago
- #snowmageddon2016 in #Mcminnville #oregon. We love our red barns out here. https://t.co/zMG6ruNhDr, 18 hours ago
- Lots of snow in #McMinnville today. #snowmageddon2016 #oregon https://t.co/IC9NGGTd1l, 18 hours ago