Coconut-Lemon Loaf with Coconut-Lemon Glaze

From the moment Family Fun magazine makes its appearance in my house, my kids confiscate it and begin planning what we will cook, craft and construct.  I don’t blame them, it all looks pretty fun.

This past month they wanted to make this Coconut-Lemon Loaf with Coconut-Lemon Glaze.  We ended up making several batches, giving some away.  It was easy and the coconut-lemon combination tasted really good.

This is a versatile recipe, perfect by itself or would be excellent for breakfast served with yogurt and fruit on the side.

Kids love helping in the kitchen.  I don’t want my boys to grow up clueless when it comes to cooking.  I think every woman can admit she appreciates a man who knows his way around a recipe!

So let’s make this together…

For the loaf you will need: Granulated sugar, unsalted butter, canola oil, lemon extract, vanilla extract, milk, eggs, buttermilk, flour, baking powder, table salt, sweetened flaked coconut.  Ingredients not shown: Lemon zest.

In a medium bowl, whisk together 2-1/2 cups flour, 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup granulated sugar, 5 Tablespoons melted-unsalted butter, 3 Tablespoons canola oil, 1-1/2 Tablespoons finely grated lemon zest, 1 teaspoon lemon extract, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/4 cup milk.

In a small bowl, whisk two eggs and 3/4 cup buttermilk until evenly blended.

With a wooden spoon, stir about a third of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture, then alternately add half of the egg mixture and half of the flour mixture, stirring after each addition just enough to blend.  Stir in 1/2 cup coconut.

Pour batter into a 9 x 5 loaf pan lined with parchment paper (or greased and floured).  Place in a 350 degree oven on the center rack for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

When it comes out of the oven place pan on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan.

While it’s cooling, make the glaze.

For the glaze, combine 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon melted butter and 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract.  Whisk to blend.  The glaze should have the consistency of heavy cream.  If needed, add more sugar to thicken it or more lemon juice to thin it.

When the bread has cooled, spoon the glaze evenly over the bread and immediately sprinkle the coconut over the top.

It’s a lovely loaf…you should try it.

Coconut-Lemon Loaf

Coconut-Lemon Glaze

1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon melted butter
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, butter, oil, lemon zest, lemon extract, vanilla extract and milk.

In a small bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk until evenly blended.

With a wooden spoon, stir about a third of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture, then alternately add half of the egg mixture and half of the flour mixture, stirring after each addition just enough to blend.  Stir in coconut.

While it’s cooling, make the glaze.

For the glaze, combine confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice, butter and lemon extract.  Whisk to blend.  The glaze should have the consistency of heavy cream.  If needed, add more sugar to thicken it or more lemon juice to thin it.

Enjoy!

What I Was Drinking One Year Ago Today:  Get This Wine…before it’s gone!

1. deeba 1

And you & your boys are so right cathy! I find that boys in foodie families develop a good taste for food & pottering around in the kitchen. My boy always loves to give me a hand too. The daughter on the other hand, wants me to give her a hand & do the dirty work…aaaargh!! This loaf is yum, & I’ve bookmarked it for without coconut. It looks os moist & delicious1

2. Now that I have 4 loaves, yes 4 LOAVES of that delicious ‘Hungry Housewife’s Banana Bread’, and a little of the cranberry bread left….you post another quick bread I will HAVE to make. The banana bread is very, very good and I suspect the coconut loaf is too!I tell you, I am putting on some extra pounds here Miss Noble Pig!

3. That’s the cake I want for my birthday this Saturday!!! Unfortunately, I’d have to make it myself.
    Yummm-O

4. Rosa 4

A great choice! This loaf looks ever so scrumptious and moist! Wow!

Cheers,

Rosa

5. Your boys wanted it, now I want it. It looks divine! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I will so be trying this! It truly is so very pretty!!

6. This looks uber moist and yummy – I LOVE coconut. This is going on my “To Try” list immediately! Thanks for sharing!

7. Becky 7

That looks delicious. And I love lemon stuff.
    I have started my Boo with the simple stuff, soon we’ll move on to recipes.

8. I love that all the magazines are featuring lemony baked goods. I have my eye on making a few lemon cakes, myself. This bread looks wonderful though…coconut is my favorite and the combination would be delicious!

Ummm… Yeah! I want it too. My mouth is literally watering because it looks so deliciously moist.

Mmmmmrrrow!

10. Julia 10

Uh, what Liz C. said. And Aunt Julia is always happy to help out with the cooking projects.. that sounds fun, fun, fun!!! You just give me a call and let me know!

11. Rosa 11

Oh my … what a lovely loaf! I tagged the so I can try the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

12. …and to think, I have all those ingredients right now. I may have this for breakfast!

13. melissa 13

The picture itself made my mouth water! Yummy! Lemon and coconut, you can NEVER go wrong!

14. kdet 14

Wow! That is one delicious looking loafing. I am always looking for new recipes to take to our potlucks and that one looks like a winner. Thanks!

15. Mmmm… this looks delicious! Love the lemon-coconut glaze on top.

16. Love the lemon-coconut combo. My son was at my elbow in the kitchen when he was young, now its my grandson. Very special times.

17. This looks so moist and amazing, I am drooling on my keyboard – you must stop sending us such amazing photos when we haven’t eaten while reading your blog posts! lol If I lived at your house, I wouldn’t be worried about the magazine, but I would certainly have a seat ready by the kitchen counter to when these lovely food bits come out of the oven for the first taste!

18. I’m a fool for any “lemon” baked good. And this is no exception!

19. MsMVNJ 19

Looks good! My daughter will help out when it comes to baking, my son loves to play clueless, but has been known to make a mean tuna salad when no one is looking!

20. See, this is what happens when I don’t get to sit down and actually READ my Family Fun! Yum!!

21. The lemon and coconut sounds like a great combo! i get Family Fun too but have been throwing them out lately since I’m on a decluttering spree–thanks for posting that!

We love that magazine. I can feel the fat cells collecting at my thighs, just gazing lovingly at your pictures of food. You take great food pictures!

23. That looks so moist & delicious!!!

I love coconut on muffins and loaves. I love toasted coconut on anything.
    I’ll save this one for later for sure.

25. Maureen 25

Smart boys, that bread looks luscious!

26. Cathy..that looks HEAVENLY! I think I may make this over the weekend for my guests! Thanks for posting this!

27. I am so blessed in that my hubby’s mum taught him well when it came to cooking and knowing his way around a kitchen!

That loaf looks so wonderfully moist. Lately none of the breads I’ve made have come out very moist…mostly tough and dense. Almost like pound cake. I’m going to give this recipe a whorl this weekend and hopefully it will come out as beautiful and delicious as yours did!

28. SnugBug 28

YUM!! Can’t wait to make this one at my house.

29. Katrina 29

A friend of mine gave me this recipe saying how good it looked in the magazine. Now you go and do this–with REAL yummy photos and such. I’ll have to make this one!
    Giveaway on my blog, check it out when you get a sec.

30. Coconut and lemon are my next favourite food groups next to potatoes:D

31. KAYOLA 31

this is my favorite…my mother in law makes this and it is delicious…your photo’s make me want to pull out my baking supplies and get busy…I ♥ this bread!

32. elra 32

Another delicious cake, Cathy you are amazing mom! Cheers,
    Elra

33. In my next life I want to be born as one of your kids. ;)

34. I want it too!! and I am sure so would the incredible “boys” in my life. Hubby and Dad!!! Thanks for this you are going to make me look like a rock star!!

Another recipe I will try…I love anything with coconut.

I just made your blueberry, banana, coconut and walnut bread – it was AMAZING!

36. Oh My that looks divine!

37. megan 37

Oh my. I LOVE coconut and this looks amazing. I MUST make this also. Your killing my waste line Cathy. I made the buffalo chicken dip and it was a hit at the potluck. And your so right about appreciating a man who knows his way around the kitchen!

I know my girlfriend appreciates me knowing how to cook. Especially since the only thing she can make is banana bread. Heh.

That loaf looks awesome, shredded coconut is one of my favorite things. When I was a kid I used to eat it by the handful.

39. imom 39

I’m all over anything with coconut! It looks really yummy!

40. Jamie 40

Cathy this cake is gorgeous! Your photos make me want to bite into the screen. Yummmmm!

41. This looks great. The only thing I am missing is the coconut, which I plan to pick up this week. Is a bulk food store best for coconut – anyone want to weigh in on that?

42. Those boys had all the reasons in the World to have this cake. It’s gorgeous.

43. Alanna 43

This looks heavenly….

44. I love Family Fun magazine! Shannon and I pour over it every time it comes in the mail!

I like coconut and lemon, so what could be better?

I bet your kids had a blast with that shredded coconut. What fun–and it looks great too.

47. Biz 47

I bet the coconut glaze makes this!!

My SIL doesn’t cook – well, she makes hamburger helper. Sadly my two teenage nieces know nothing about cooking!

I love it when Hannah helps – although she tends to put things back before I am done with them!

Today was the first drive to school in her car. She was so excited. I asked her what time she was leaving, and she said 6:45 (which is kind of early). When I asked why that time she said “because I have a coupon at Dunkin Donuts if I buy a muffin I get a large coffee for free!”

She’s so cute.

I’m so hungry that I want to lick the screen.

49. Elixa 49

Oh my! That Coconut-Lemon Loaf looks dangerously good.

50. Spectacular pics! My son and I used to love that magazine. We made lots of recipes and did lots of projects from it. I just loved reading it, even when we did nothing. We also went on a lot of trips based on info in FF, like our trip to a dude ranch. Can’t wait to convert this to gluten free and try it out!

Shirley

51. Linda 51

Coconut and Lemon … 2 of my favorite flavors. I had forgotten about Family Fun magazine. My 2 oldest have outgrown it, but my youngest is getting to be a great age to start a subscription again.

52. Lo! 52

Yum. For some reason this cake reminds me of my favorite childhood treat — coconut covered zingers. *drool* can taste them right now!

53. Lisa 53

Oooh I just made this. I didn’t have any buttermilk for once, so I just put some lemon juice in with regular milk. I didn’t cut back on the rest of the lemon either. It did take a while longer for mine to cook for some reason. Boy does it smell good. I took a little sneaky snack of it and it’s good. Can’t wait for it to cool so I can glaze it and eat it!!

I love Family Fun magazine! Their website is wonderful as is their theme guide books. Good for your boys for showing their interests like this! That cake looks great, and I bet every crumb will get eaten! YUM!

55. Cath,
    I was searching on line tonight, what to bake?
    Just found my answer!
    Thank you!

56. Lemon coconut party in the mouth for sure.

57. Natty 57

Oh, I just want to bury my piggy little face in that!

58. bren 58

this is so damn orgasmic! love it.

59. dlyn 59

Lemon, coconut. Yum! :)

60. That looks perfect for taking over to a friend’s house.

61. Leslie 61

Yummy Cathy..I love that your kids pick what they want you to cook for them!

Wow this looks wonderful!! I love the pictures, it looks so moist!

63. Julie 63

It looks beautiful and yummy. I have finally come to admit that I don’t like cooking with the kids. But I’ll do it anyway :)

64. OH MY HEAVENS!! I AM IN LOVE LOVE LOVE with your blog…. and the recipe above….. heavens. YUMMMY.

65. Susan 65

love that magazine—Family Fun! I’ve used it often in teaching and nanny positions! you made that dish look so yummy, as well as every other dish you present on your blog and in the Davis magazine.

What I wouldn’t do for a slice…it’s just so cheery looking. I swear your food is the best.

67. Rebel 67

That looks so good.
    My Dad would come home for lunch when I was a kid, Mom would be out workin’ in the garden or tendin’ the cows, so Dad would cook his own lunch, he actually liked to. Both my brothers are the cooks in their households. My husband doesn’t even know where I keep my knives. AND he doesn’t want to know!

68. Your boys wanted it and I want it now, too. :D
    Love lemon in just about anything and it goes so well with coconut, Cathy!

69. HoneB 69

Looks sooooo good!!!

of course they wanted it! who wouldn’t want it? anybody anti-coconut is no friend of mine. :)

71. I would’ve chosen this too! Sounds like a great combination, and so pretty too.

72. Dee 72

That looks great Cathy! I’m impressed that you got the boys involved. Eli loves ‘helping out’ in the kitchen, ie. egg on the floor, flour on the walls, mum screaming bloody murder. It’s not pretty.

73. Kevin 73

That lemon cake looks good! I like the additio of the coconut!

74. Gretchen Nurczyk 74

I love you.

75. People deserve good life time and mortgage loans or student loan can make it much better. Because people’s freedom relies on money state.

76. Maggie 76

Just made this as muffins and they were as delicious and moist as the pictures make the loaf look!

I added some blackberries, too, which were a great compliment to the lemon/coconut flavors. I would highly recommend this recipe!