Asparagus Popover

……..well, it’s really an Asparagus Popover but it looks more like a fritatta to me.  I feel like a popover should have a thicker crust but that’s just my opinion.  Maybe if I made this in a slightly bigger pan there would have been more extension of the crust, but it’s water under the bridge at this point.

We could call it a Po-tatta?  No?  Either way it doesn’t matter, it was good.  It calls for gruyere cheese.  Anything with gruyere is pretty much fine by me.  I’m easy to please.  The recipe does say you can substitute Swiss for the gruyere but really, why would you?  It’s not going to be the same.

This is a great brunch item.  Simple to make, easy to find ingredients.  I suppose you could have it for dinner too.  It would be fabulous with a salad and a glass of wine.

Let’s make this up…

Here’s what you will need:  Asparagus, milk, eggs, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, gruyere cheese, salt and pepper.  Ingredients not shown: Butter.

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.  In a medium-sized cast-iron skillet, add 2 Tablespoons butter.  Place the skillet in the oven to melt the butter.

In a medium bowl, microwave 1/2 cup milk on high for 30 seconds.  Whisk in 3 eggs, then 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and a pinch of sugar

Top with the remaining gruyere cheese.

Slice a piece…

And enjoy it.  You deserve it.

I know you needed one more shot to be convinced.

Asparagus Popover (Disguised as a fritatta)
Adapted from Rachael Ray

1 pound asparagus
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup flour
Salt and pepper
Pinch sugar
3 ounces (1 cup) gruyere cheese, shredded

In a medium saucepan add enough salted water to reach a depth of 2 inches; bring to a boil.  Add the asparagus (ends cut off the bottom) and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.  Drain and rinse with cold water, then pat dry with paper towels.  Cut the spears lengthwise and then into thirds.  You could also just cut them crosswise into thirds.  Your choice.

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.  In a medium-sized cast-iron skillet, add butter.  Place the skillet in the oven to melt the butter.

In a medium bowl, microwave milk on high for 30 seconds.  Whisk in eggs, then flour, salt, pepper and sugar.

Add the asparagus pieces to the hot cast-iron skillet and pour the batter on top.  Sprinkle with half the cheese and bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18-22 minutes.  Top with the remaining gruyere cheese.

What I Was Drinking One Year Ago Today:  A Wine For So Many PEOPLE…I…I…Mean Occasions…Really, That’s What I Meant…Occasions and Situations…

1. wkf 1

It’s doing a pretty good impression of a delicious looking fritatta…….
    I’d eat it.

2. Whatever it is, I’ll take a piece for breakfast, please!!

3. I agree with you…it’s a Fritatta…there is no reason for it to pop over anything!

Yours looks fantabulous though.

4. Teaser, I thought we were going to see Superman! But I must say, this looks even better!! Delicious!

5. deeba 6

Don’t matter whether it’s a plane or a bird, it’s just plain GOOD!!It’s good for any meal too…GREAT actually!!

6. So now I have to make the halibut AND the asparagus popover….and I have almost all the ingredients for the recipes , plus the appetite for them!Shopping tomorrow should cover the necessary ingredients for a very nice weekend meal.

7. I love calling it a po-tatta. Fritover? No matter what, it SURE looks good!

8. This looks like a great dinner!

9. Kari 10

MMmmmm…this one has my mouth watering. Looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing another great recipe. Happy Friday!

10. Po-tatta is cute. I confess I have never had asparagus other than steamed or roasted, but this recipe is beautiful and I want to try it. I have to agree with Scary Mommy that it would be awesome for breakfast right now!

Thanks!
    Shirley

11. Rindy R 12

Cheese and Asparagus – Count me in!

12. melissa 13

WOW does that look delicious! Your pictures always make me what to run out and make what you posted about. I will say you have broadened my palette.
    We have tried many of your recipes and we think you should do a cookbook! With a name like Noble Pig it would have to be a sure thing!

13. Julia 14

This does look great! But really, it does look like a frittata. I would like a pop-over would be more like pate a choux.

Now that looks like a quick and easy meal, just right for a dinner when you are feeling like eating light. Your photos show off that popover in such a fashion that I want to dive right in and eat it NOW. I bet a little crumbled bacon would be good in it also!

15. Medena 16

Looks really delicious! I love asparagus!

16. Uhhh…yum! This would make a great brunch item, perfect for Easter (yes, I’m already thinking about Easter).

17. That looks wonderful!

18. Suzette 19

Mmmmmm! Looks like something I need to take to the next brunch potluck we have at work. We have those more than lunches, believe it or not. Nobody else is going to bring THIS dish!

BTW…I gave up nuts for lent, and my daughter gave up chocolate. So, I’ve got your Katherine Hepburn Brownies recipe on the fridge for the day after Easter! It will be the perfect thing to end our period of denial.

19. Melynda 20

This looks wonderful, I love asparagus. I am working up a good post for my next one, it will be #200, yeah!

20. Teri 21

This looks very, very yummy! Would you pair this with a German Riesling dry-er not sweet?

Teri

21. Yummy!

22. Hmmm, cheese… asparagus… eggs…

I’ll take two!

23. Love this “po-tatta” with asparagus which is one of my favorite spring ingredients (and I am so ready for spring!) Delicious with Gruyere!

24. I love stuff like this for dinner. And I’ve been wanting an excuse to use my cast iron pan. I’ve had it for months now and am a little scared to use it!

25. kayola 26

I don’t care what you call it…it just looks de-lish!!!! I am still trying to get over the $20.00 bill from yesterday…I told everybody I ran into they have to read that story…

26. I don’t care what it is called, I just want a slice right now!

27. No matter the name, it looks fabulous!
    Thank you so much for sharing the recipe ~ I’m SO making this!

I love your blog~ it’s one of my very favorites. xo~Mari in Oregon.

28. Rachel Ray clearly was confused when she listed this as a popover. Oiy! It’s beautiful and it’s more frittata-like than any popover I’ve ever seen.

Alas, as beautiful as it is (and it kinda just SHOUTS “spring” at me), I hate asparagus. But I think my eldest daughter loves it and this recipe would be something she would really enjoy making too. And just in time…she comes home for spring break; week after next!

29. Your fritatta popover looks delicious. And, as always, great photos.

30. Trisha 31

That looks delicious! I have always wanted to try a fritatta/popover. Maybe tonight is the night!

31. Jamie 32

It does look like a frittata, but whatever it is called it looks delicious and very rich. I have been dreaming of asparagus lately…

32. Ooh, yes, yes, yes! This looks fabulous! I need to make this right away! Sunday brunch here I come…

Have a great weekend! With or without the feather, your choice 😉

33. How did you know I was looking for a yummy,new, meat-free meal for tonight?! I don’t do seafood (yack) so lenten meals for me are tough. Thanks!
    P.S. I think it looks like a fritatta too!

34. oh my gosh this looks good. who cares what it’s called. yes, i agree, anything with gruyere is fine by me.

PS: I’ve moved: http://www.alexandracooks.com

Now this is a good hearty breakfast. I’m so sure my hubby would eat this and I can get some veggies in him.

36. Maureen 37

I’ve never combined asparagus and gruyere but it sounds perfect!

I am SO making this. Beautiful!

38. Rebel 39

That looks so good. I’m glad fresh asparagus is in the stores now.

39. Biz 40

Looks delicious no matter what you call it! I love frittatas – its a great way to clean out your fridge at the end of the week!

Have a great weekend!

Gruyere is the bomb. That looks wicked good, I want some right now!

41. What a great dish and can be make and enjoyed for so many meals / occasions!!

I agree with Bob.
    I’m cold and hungry…want some now.

43. Amber 44

This is perfection (from an old Chandler saying on Friends). Simple ingredients. Food that comforts and brings people together. This might be my favorite of yours so far.

44. Mike 45

That sounds like a really tasty fritatta. I’m almost embarassed to say I’ve never made a fritatta yet–this looks like a great way to start! 😮

45. vanessa 46

Oh hello Asparagus, I actually feel like eating you for once!

46. A simple and hearty dish! I heart asparagus and can’t wait for the new spring asp. to come in. None of this winter stuff for me!

You ruined perfectly good asparagus. :(

48. Maybe not po-tatta, but pop-tatta. Then it sounds more like Pop Tart?

Nice simple quick meal, whether it’s a popover or a frittata.

49. My family would love this!

It would be a great meal to make on a Sunday morning!

50. YUM!

51. Louise 52

Mmm – mmmmm! Two things I love: Delta Grass (our term for asparagus), and any dish where a bit of egg and cheese holds together a whole bunch of veggies! Good call on this one!

52. Wow- I am so tickled I came across your site! I just bought a lovely bunch of asparagus that I was contemplating on what to do with. You’ve inspired me!

53. Daziano 54

Hmmmm… it looks so good!!! Cheese and asparagus: you can’t go wrong with that!

I like the potatta name 😀

54. Call it what you will — it looks delicious. Call it “rustic”!

55. Linda 56

It just occurred to me that every time you post a recipe I say … “that’s my favorite!” about the main ingredient. I should just say, “I like food and I like to eat!” And everything you post looks so darn good. I’ll definitely give this one a try. Maybe they’ll have asparagus at the Farmers’ Market already … (fingers crossed!)

On your St Patrick’s Day post … we do the corned beef thing, we all love it. It’s my favorite (LOL!) and I do colcannon. Then a sweet Irish soda bread for dessert. The milk turns green and the dining room chairs are upside down when the kids wake up. Fun fun.

56. giz 57

It really doesn’t matter to me what you call it – it looks totally like the kind of breakfast, lunch or dinner meal that I could be totally comfortable with.

57. Elyse 58

Frittata or popover–either way, this looks delicious! I love asparagus, love gruyere, love eggs…you’re getting the picture. I think I’d be happy eating this for any meal! YUM.

This looks fantastic Cathy! I’ve never made a frittata before, your pictures are great!

59. Laurie 60

I love frittatas – and actually any egg dish. We’ve been eating breakfast for dinner about once a week lately and this looks like a yummy choice.

Love the Bitch wine! I’m gonna be on the lookout…

60. Dee 61

Ooh, this looks good. Fritatta definitely, but who cares when it sounds so yummy.

61. Lynda 62

I found your blog this week and everything looks so good! I want this frittata right now.

I made something similar to this for Easter brunch last year. Yum.

63. asparagus + cheese = yum.

i’m glad you clarified what this was, because even though i knew it looked delicious, i had absolutely no clue as to its identity. :)

65. Olivia 66

Thank you so much for coming to my blog and commenting on my food! Really it makes my day and I get super excited seeing that a few people are starting to come to my website. As to this recipe, I LOVE asparagus so much! So you add in cheese and I’m already sold on this number.

66. Cassie 67

OH YES! YUM!

67. I love asparagus – when the season rolls around again, I’ll definitely be trying this dish. Nothing matches better than gruyere!

68. I made this for my friends this weekend. Everyone loved it.

Thank you!

69. Joy 70

This is truly yummy! It took me a few days to catch up with asparagus and the cheese (thought I’d have to settle for Swiss, but scored the Emmentaler) and fixed it this evening – loved it!

70. Kevin 71

That looks so moist and cheesy and good! I am looking forward to the asparagus!

71. Darcie 72

I thought this sounded so good. After reading all the reviews I noticed that no one had a review that actually made this. All the reviews were “looks good”.
    I made this tonight and made only one or two changes. I put some olive oil in a pan and sautéed the cut up asparagus with garlic salt. I then followed instructions exactly but I used four eggs instead of three. I used a combination gruyere and swiis from trader joes. Very good and very filling. I feel like I had a nice healthy and fairly low cal dinner.