Gratineed Pineapple

I can't tell you how much I love Hawaii.  It has been our go to place for needed rest and relaxation.

However, the costs of putting in a vineyard do not warrant spending a small fortune in Hawaii this year.  My dreams of a tropical vacation have been trumped by the purchase of pressure tanks, well pumps, fencing, electrical generators, survey reports and concrete slabs.  It's so romantic isn't it?

So since I can't go to Hawaii I needed to bring Hawaii to me.  The Gratineed Pineapple does just the trick.  This is absolutely one of the most heavenly desserts I have made.  It's the next best thing to a Pina Colada and the presentation is quite impressive.

I think it would make a perfect Valentine's Day dessert.  The warm gooey flavors of coconut, gingersnaps and macadamia nuts meld together with the pineapple making this dessert very islandy (that's a word right?).

With the availability of sweet pineapple all year round, why not brighten up your winter with this yummy treat.  Everyone's eyes will pop when you pull this out of the oven.

Do you have trouble picking a ripe pineapple?  Just pull on the green leaves.  If they come out easily, it's ripe.

Let's make it together...

Here's what you will need:  Fresh pineapple, gingersnaps, sweetened condensed milk, macadamia nuts, sweetened shredded coconut and dark rum.

Stir together 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut, 1/2 cup crushed gingersnap cookies and 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts.  Set aside.

Whisk together 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk and 2 Tablespoons dark rum.  Set aside.

With a sharp knife, slice the pineapple in half with leaves intact.

Cut the core from each pineapple half and discard.  This does not have to be perfect looking as it will be covered up.

Arrange pineapple halves skin side down on a rimmed baking sheet.  Drizzle with half of the sweetened-condensed-milk-mixture.

Sprinkle with coconut mixture.

Drizzle with the remaining sweetened-condensed-milk mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 16 minutes or until golden brown.  I feel the longer this is in the oven the better.  Keep in until coconut and nuts are browned well but not burned.

When it comes out of the oven, there will be a nice crunchy-syrupy topping on the pineapple.

Serve warm with a knife and a fork.  It is absolutely delicious.

I am going to make this again very, very soon.

Don't miss out.

Print Recipe

Gratineed Pineapple

Recipe from: Inspired by Bon Appetit | Serves: 4

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 1/2 cup crushed gingersnap cookies
  • 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 Tablespooons dark rum
  • 1 large ripe pineapple, leaves intact, halved lengthwise

Directions

• Stir together coconut, gingersnap cookies and macadamia nuts. Set aside.
  • Whisk together sweetened condensed milk and dark rum. Set aside.
  • With a sharp knife, slice the pineapple in half with leaves intact. Cut the core from each pineapple half and discard. This does not have to be perfect looking as it will be covered up. Arrange pineapple halves skin side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with half of the sweetened-condensed-milk-mixture. Sprinkle with coconut mixture. Drizzle with the remaining sweetened-condensed-milk mixture.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. I feel the longer this is in the oven the better. Keep in until coconut and nuts are browned well but not burned.
  • Serve warm with a knife and a fork.

The perfect over the top dessert for two
Enjoy!

86 Comments and 4 Replies

1. nina 1

I bet everyone’s eyes popped out when you pulled this one out the oven…I am so going to try this …..we are really in the middle of summer and pineapples are available in heaps…Thanks for sharing, Cathy!

2. WOW this looks amazing!! I used to eat a lot of pineapples when I am home in Malaysia but tt’s really hard to get nice sweet pineapples here in the UK.

3. Athena 3

Oh my goodness. I WANT some!! Looks fantastic. So many of my favs all in one.

4. I must confess…I pretend it eat all your wonderful food while reading your descriptive posts…it’s like cheating without the guilt and calories…

This one has a ll my favorite ingrdients.

Marlene

5. My word, what a glorious dessert. Just spectacular, and I haven’t had my first bite yet. LOL But I know it will be! I can easily make this gluten free by using Mi-Del gluten-free gingersnaps (or my own, when I’ve made some).

Shirley

Excellent. What’s the best way to slice it?
    (I’m going to Maui in June BTW)

7. Wow, what a simple, but elegant, YUMMY looking dessert! When you make it again, I’ll take a taste! 😉

8. Now that looks amazing and so unlike anything I have made before!!

9. Cathy – stupid question, BUT…I hate Rum. Any kind of Rum, and for some reason, it hates me right back. Even cooked rum. Can this be omitted without totally ruining the taste? The hubby was reading this over my shoulder this morning and REALLY wants me to make this, but if possible, whilst he doesn’t really care about the rum, I would like to leave it out.

I can’t wait to make this. I bet it smells HEAVENLY too!

10. Kari 13

I’ve never seen anything like this before, it looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing.

11. I really should make this today. It would make me feel like I’m in a warm, tropical get away and not freezing my rear off in Massachusetts. 😛

I have half the battle won! I live on an island! No pineapples grown here, but I can make a trip to the grocery store and pick one up. It is indeed a very islandy treat that I might try in the near future. Right now we are having rather cold temperatures and I am going to try the sweet potato and sausage soup instead today. The photos of that split pineapple with all that toasted coconut on top is perfect, what a great presentation! I suppose you got that idea from Hawaii?? Did you notice that Hawaii is having tsunami threat today? The surfers are loving it.

13. Becky 16

My that does look delicious. But I won’t be making it for my Valentine. He’s allergic to coconut.

14. Rebecca 17

Mmm! That looks wonderful! A perfect break from this horrible weather. I lovvvve pineapple!

15. Auds asked my question already – due to an indiscretion in my youth, I cannot stomach even the smell of rum. Can you replace it with something else because otherwise, I just want to jump right into the computer, this looks so good.

16. Laurie 19

Cathy, that pineapple looks simply awesome! We’re having record breaking cold weather here on Cape Cod, so your tropical dessert and yummy looking soup are welcome indeed.

17. Must have this. Now.

18. Steph 21

When we were recently in the Florida Keys, I saw someone eating something similar to this, and it looked delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

19. I’m going to Costco for pineapple! Love the rum!

20. Mike 23

I love pineapples but hardly ever cook/bake with them (no good reason). This looks fantastic!

21. I think I died and just went to Hawaii! This is a beautiful recipe, thanks for sharing!

This looks totally amazing and so delicious. I’m literally drooling!

23. Amazing! This looks like heaven on a plate.

24. marcy 27

wow, you had me there for a second thinking I’d found the perfect surprise for V Day for Chris , but hes allergic to coconut – any suggestion on substitutions?

Now this is my kind of dessert. It’s so pretty and the flavors are my favorite. Another lovely recipe.

26. what’s more relaxing than traveling to Hawaii in the comfort of your own home … so much less hassle. These looks and sounds delicious. i love coconut!

27. These would definitely whisk me away to a virtual trip to enjoy the Hawaiian beaches.

28. Katie 31

I’m still waiting for my breakfast and this is not helping. This looks fantastic.

Oh Cathy this looks heavenly. I love Hawaii too, north shore is my fav place to hang and surf for sure.
    Such sunny pineapple pictures on such a dreary cold ARTIC day here.

30. Trisha 33

Is there anything you don’t make absolutely yummy?

Pineapple is very close to a perfect food in my book. Sweet but not too much so, and not too fattening. And I’ve never been to Hawaii. I have an unnatural fear of small land masses, by which I mean “smaller than a continent!”

32. Lo! 35

oooh… ahhh… I can just imagine what this tastes like. One of my favorite desserts happens when we put a few slices of fresh pineapple on the grill. So, this is right up my alley.

I can just smell the gingersnaps and coconut now. I think this would be scrumptious with grilled pork tenderloin and a salad, with this for dessert. Mmmmrrroowww!

Wow, that looks really impressive. And yet so simple. I’m totally snagging this recipe. :)

35. ELRA 38

Cathy, this is the ultimate dessert. Not just beautiful looking, but also sounds delicious.
    Cheers,
    Elra

36. I hear the islands calling now!! That is one DAMN incredible recipe and the photos just are off the charts!! This is a must make for sure!

37. tipper 40

Oh a taste of summer-I love love pineapple!

38. Oh sweet heavenly day! this looks wonderful. My newest favorite dish has a pineapple spicy glaze on salmon. Delish.

39. OOOOhhhhh I want some Island time. It is about 9 degrees out & I’m ready for some warmth! I’ll settle for the tropical taste for now.

40. OMG–I MUST have that!!

41. KathyB. 44

I am buying a pineapple today when I go into town ! Maybe 2 pineapples!Where do you come up with all these yummy recipes AND do everything else you do ? Thanks .

42. Lori 45

Hi Kathy,
    I’m sending you some aloha from Hawaii!

43. maggie 46

Whoa, that looks decadent and amazing!

44. Yum. Great flavor combo and beautiful presentation. This would be fun with those mini pineapples I see in the store sometimes.

Don’t feel bad about not returning to Hawaii. I’ve never been there. With my husband worrying about our finances all of the time, I doubt I’ll ever go. At least you have memories you can cherish.

45. Linda 48

My local market just received a fresh shipment of pineapples. What perfect timing, yah? My inlaws are visiting next week … I bet this will impress the pants off them!

46. imom 49

Wow. Just. Wow!

47. Rindy R 50

I am always so intimidated to buy a whole pineapple, but this might be just the push I need. This recipe looks FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing!

48. OMG, the chicken noodle soup (from an ENVELOPE) is lookin mighty lame right about now. I’m new here but my god woman, do you do this ALL the time? (don’t answer.)

49. How are you not 500 pounds? Seriously? 😉

50. kayola 53

OH MY STINKIN’ HECK!!!!! Are you serious? I am such a coconut freak…I have started packin’…be there in the morning…LOL

51. This is fantastic Kathy! Not sure what to make of this warm weather. I moved from San Diego to SF earlier this year to get some cool weather – what’s up??

–Marc

52. Julie 55

That is just beautiful! When I first looked at the pic I thought that was bacon bits on there, maybe you want to try that next time. Cause it looked pretty good!

53. I wish I lived next door to you! I could learn so much.

54. And where were you while I was in California and had my opportune moment to eat some of your creations?! This looks amazing, and I need to lose weight, now.

Maybe if I fix this I will feel more like I am vacationing. Or at least until the grand kids come tearing in the house.

56. Rebel 59

Oh my, that looks simply to die for.

57. Cassie 60

*swoon*

58. Oh my, Cathy! This looks absolutely spectacular!

59. tamilyn 62

“Al-o-ha-aay, Al-o-ha-aay….” I’m going to put my grass skirt on and hula across the kitchen. Haven’t been to Hawaii since our honeymoon 19 years ago, but this could transport us there. Plus, put that extra rum in a fruity little drink and Tami is a happy girl!!
    Thanks Cathy-fantastic post as usual.

what a STUPENDOUS creation! it’s fun, it’s delicious, it’s easy–i’m so excited by this! note to self–get thee to hawaii. :)

61. Jena 64

OMG that looks wonderful. Makes my mouth water

62. Brian 66

Your recipes always look so good..and so does this one!

63. Well, you’ve done it. The only thing I love in this recipe is pineapple, but you’ve made me want to make and eat the entire thing. Beautiful!

64. Nona 68

I am on Weight Watchers and was intrigued by this recipe. I entered it into my WW recipe builder and, if you sub hazlenuts for the macadamias, it’s not too bad. Of course, you only get to eat one-eighth of the pineapple with this gooey coconut concoction on it, but a little bit of heaven is worth a ton of blah, in my opinion.

I suppose it could be lightened up a little more with fat free condensed milk, but that would inhibit the flavor I think.

I am making this tonight, with hazelnuts. Thanks for the great idea.

65. Wow – looks very tropical. I rarely buy pineapple in the winter. I don’t find the flavour to be worth it…at least not the stuff I find in the store here.

66. Lisa 70

Gorgeous! I have a really good feeling about the sweetened condensed milk mixed with rum. The sort of feeling that tells me all I’d need is a dark room and a spoon…

67. Sandie 71

Dear God, I think I love you. This. Is. Amazing! We love fresh pineapple, but always end up eating it plain. My husband will freak out with joy when I make this for us. Believe it or not, I have a pineapple awaiting me in the kitchen. Thank you for this one!

68. Nona 72

Made this last night and it was AMAZING! Thanks!

69. Ginger 73

I can’t imagine the looks if I can manage to pull this recipe off. Your photos are amazing. Thanks for posting this for all of us to drool over!!

70. Sandra 74

V Day is a long way off…this needs to be made NOW, TODAY, with not a moment more to lose!
    O Dear Me. Diet? What diet?

71. is this like the worlds happiest dessert or what?

72. ontario 76

If only I saw this yesterday, before I cut up my pineapple. Will make it next week though, it looks great.

73. michelle 77

as my hubby said.. we need to frame that picture! so, making that this week!

74. megan 78

This is so going on the *must make* list!Must make soon!!! I need a little Hawaii in my life!

75. ashley 79

oh my goodness!! looks absolutely fabulous! i have to try this!

76. That is one of the most interesting things I’ve ever seen done with a pineapple! Very cool, and I bet it tastes excellent.

77. Arlette 81

oh wow….
    this is awesome…
    and sounds so delicious I am going to try it ..
    thanks very much for sharing

78. Katie 82

HI, & I just saw this
    recipe on here, & thought
    to myself that I can posibly
    make this my-self. I mean it
    looks so easy to make. But WoW
    it looks so amazingly good I think
    I would like a piece of that.

79. The first time I got contact with Hawaiian cuisine was on my first trip to Hawaii, I didn’t want to read anything about their cuisine because I just wanted to get surprised when I got there. And I was surprised, it was the dream vacation for me, Hawaii was beautiful in every sense of the word, they don’t even need good cuisine to encourage tourism but still the food was awesome. That was the first time I tried gratineed pineapple and I can only related that with nice memories.

80. The first time I got contact with Hawaiian cuisine was on my first trip to Hawaii, I didn’t want to read anything about their cuisine because I just wanted to get surprised when I got there. And I was surprised, it was the dream vacation for me, Hawaii was beautiful in every sense of the word, they don’t even need good cuisine to encourage tourism but still the food was awesome. That was the first time I tried gratineed pineapple and I can only related that with nice memories.

81. Don’t you acknowledge that it is high time to get the personal loans, which would make you dreams real.

82. This is great that people can receive the mortgage loans moreover, it opens new opportunities.

83. Jodi 87

WOW! I’ve been living in Hawaii now for 2 years and have had some pretty amazing food. This will rank as one of the top! I made it tonight for my hubby and 5 kids and everyone LOVED it. Thank you for giving us another great way to serve one of our favorite local treats – Mahalo!

84. Jane 89

1. How do you serve 4 people with 2 halves?

2. Instead of rum, I used ginger ale. Delicious!