Chinese-Five Spice Oatmeal Cookies

It’s the last one.  I swear.

But I had to get it in.  Had too.

I love this cookie, because it’s oatmeal and it uses one of my favorite spices, Chinese-five spice.  This Chinese-Five Spice Oatmeal Cookie tasted exactly like I wanted it to.  The spice flavor mixed together with the oatmeal pushes this one over the top.

I don’t like raisins so this is the perfect chewy cookie with a twist on the background flavor.  I even drizzled a bit of icing over the cookies in the end for presentation.

Maybe you have some Chinese-five spice leftover from making this recipe.  This would be a great way to help use it up.

I will definitely make these again.

Here’s what you will need: Butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, eggs, pure vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, baking powder, Chinese-five spice, ground cinnamon, table salt, quick-cooking rolled oats, and almonds.

Toast almonds in a baking pan and bake in a 350 degree oven, shaking often, until golden under skins, about 15 minutes.  When cool, whirl in a food processor until coarsely ground.

In a medium bowl, sift together 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1-1/2 teaspoons Chinese-five spice powder, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Set aside.

In another bowl beat 1 cup butter, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 cup brown sugar together at medium speed until well blended.  Beat in 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.  Add flour mixture a 1/2 cup at a time until well incorporated.

Stir in almonds and 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats

Drop dough in 1-1/2 Tablespoon portions, 1-1/2 inches apart, onto buttered baking sheets.  Bake cookies in a 350 degree oven until golden, about 12-15 minutes.  Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Package them up and give to your friends.

But keep a few for yourself as well.

Chinese-Five Spice Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Sunset

1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons Chinese-five spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon table salt
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1 cup coarsely ground toasted almonds

In a medium bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, Chinese-five spice powder, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.

In another bowl beat butter, sugar and brown sugar together at medium speed until well blended.  Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.  Add flour mixture a 1/2 cup at a time until well incorporated.

Stir in almonds and quick-cooking rolled oats.

More Tree-Trimming…

I have lots of birds in my Christmas tree…it is a tree.

And lots of pinecones…

Christmas Eve-Hanukkah Dinner Tonight…

Romaine-Blue Cheese Salad with Sugared Walnuts and Warm Bacon Dressing
Cheddar Thyme Rolls
Almond-Orzo Kugel
Bistecca alla Fiorentina
Rugelach

1. Deeba 1

Oooh those cookies look pretty darned good to me Cathy, the 5 spice powder makes me want to try these right away! What a fab menu for dinner too…have a great great time! xoxo

You package food so beautifully.
    Those look terrific.
    Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah

3. Cathy, everything looks so fabulous!!
    Will you post your recipe for Rugelach some time? I just can’t find one that I like and reminds me of my best friend’s Mom’s when I was growing up.
    Merry Christmas & Happy Chanukkah.

4. cathy,
    wishing you and your family a lovely holiday filled with good food and even better desserts! thanks for all the recipes and beautiful pictures.
    cwg :)

5. My Dad, if he was still around would have loved these but would have wanted raisins, cranberries, or currents in them…but I will have to make these for HWM. They sound totally delish.

Your menu for this evening sounds delectable…ooooo, ahhhhhh.

Have a wonderful day dear friend!

Marlene

6. Sounds like a great cookie recipe. I love the addition of almonds.

Your photos are terrific.

7. Cathy,
    The cookies look fantastic and dinner sounds delicious!
    I love your tree ornaments. I’ve been considering pine cones myself!
    Have a wonderful holiday!

Never heard of these. But I love 5-spice on my pork dishes. I have to try this recipe. You have been busy I see, and there is another cookie recipe under this one?
    That dinner sounds good. I always have trouble with rugelach, it always spills out.

Thanks for the entry today. You seem to be so busy and still you find time to share these wonderful recipes with your readers. Enjoy your holiday to the max! Those oatmeal cookies with a new twist seem to be just perfect!

10. Wow, another amazing cookie! I am a cookie slacker this year.

Have a very Merry Christmas & continue with a blessed Hanukkah.

11. Those cookies look great! I am so done baking…I barely manage to dress myself I am so stressed out! Who invited 11 people to my house for Christmas dinner anyway?

I have the same bird on my tree…well lots and lots of them in fact. Love them!

12. Trisha 12

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

13. Those look great! If I hadn’t just made oatmeal raisin cookies, I’d make these. Oh well! On to the Peanut Butter & Gingerbread cookies!

14. I am so happy to hear that there is someone else out there who does not like raisins like me! Every time I tell someone that I don’t care for them they look at me like I’m mentally deficient. So it makes me happy to know you don’t like them either.

I’ve never heard of Chinese 5 spice, but I’m going to keep an eye out for it from now on. Those cookies look delicious, and also like you, I love oatmeal, so I know I’d love these cookies!

15. ELRA 15

Seems like we have similarity in our family, Cathy.
    My sister and her family are visiting from overseas, we have family dinner tonight. And on Friday, we are going to have our Jewish friend for dinner, so I’ll be busy cooking and slaving in the kitchen. I love this time of year.

Your ornaments are beautiful.
    Wish you all the best!
    Elra

16. Those look fabulous! I have some Chinese 5 spice that I think I’ve hardly ever used.

What time is dinner? I’ll be right over!

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

17. I love that photo of the ornament. I think it would be a great Christmas card photo.

18. Katrina 18

Yum! It’s always good to have one last cookie recipe! Thanks. I’ve never tried Chinese 5 Spice and need to.
    Happy Holidays!

19. Happy Holidays Noble Pig! I am in charge of Christmas cookies tonight and have yet to decide what flavor to make. I am tempted by all that I am seeing on your site!

What a cookie! I would love about five of these and a large glass of milk please.

Happy holidays Cathy!

21. Now that is a spicy cookie! Yummy! Have fun during your Holidays!

Chinese five spice in cookies sounds delish! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah!

23. bethieofva 23

Your cookies are lovely, but it is the dinner menus that make me drool.

24. Now we have another one to pick from.

25. peabody 25

Chinese 5 spice with oatmeal sounds like a great combo.
    Enjoy the holiday!

26. OOh–those sound intriguing w/ the 5 spice! I don’t really like raisins either!

Hope your’e having a happy Hanukkah and wishing you a Merry Christmas!!

27. Biz 27

Wish my Christmas felt like it this year! Thanks for your kind words.

Happy Holidays!

28. Rosa 28

They look yummy! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

29. Happy Holiday and best time with your family. Chinese five spice? I only use it to braise my lambshank, smoked hog, and cooking. Um, classic oat meal with Asian twist… Sound good.

30. vanessa 30

I know where to look if I am forced into another cookie swap next year!

31. April 31

I haven’t done any baking this holiday season, but I think I will be making these and PW’s Spicy Molasses Cookies for a New Years treat (and to get everyone off their diets bright and early, ha!)

oh cathy. you do know how to make me hungry. :)
    hope your holiday season has been lovely. :)