Double Ginger Crackles

I love ginger, let me count the ways...ha, ha...lame I know.  At least I'm getting my sense of humor back.

These cookies have a double dose of ginger using the crystallized form, I'm all in. All. In. What's even a triple bonus is how the gingery-ness in these cookies intensifies with time, so they hold up (flavor-wise) very well.

These Double Ginger Crackles have a crispy and chewy texture.  For me, this elevates their yumminess factor above similar gingersnaps or gingerbread cookies having just a "crispy" texture.  I think I can thank the crystallized ginger addition for putting these cookies over the top.  Way over...

I normally purchase my crystallized ginger from Amazon, however, sometimes a grocery store will have it in the bulk food section. Either way you need to find it ASAP.

Let's make these together....k?

Here's what you will need:  Unbleached all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, molasses, baking soda, ground ginger, an egg, unsalted butter, crystallized ginger and table salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk 2-1/4 cups (10 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour, 2-3/4 teaspoons ground ginger, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon table salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat 3/4 cup unsalted butter and 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar until fully combined and light in color; about 3 minutes.  Add 1 egg, 1/4 cup molasses and 3 Tablespoons crystallized ginger and beat well.  Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until well blended.

Pour the remaining 1/3 cup sugar into a shallow bowl.  Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and toss each ball in the sugar to coat.

Set the balls 1-1/2 to 2-inches apart on cookie sheets covered in parchment or nonstick baking liners.  The cookies will spread.

Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat to 350 degrees.  Bake cookies, rotating the sheets up and down halfway through until the cookies are puffed and the bottoms lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes.  The cookies will be dry on the surface but soft on the inside.

The surface cracks will look wet.  Let them sit on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.  Store in an airtight container for five days or in the freezer up to one month.

Or wrap them up in a ribbon and give as a holiday gift.

Put them in a box.

• 3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter, softened*
  • 1-2/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 large egg, room temperature*
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 3 Tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger

Directions

• In a medium bowl, whisk unbleached all-purpose flour, ground ginger, baking soda and table salt. Set aside.
  • In a large bowl, beat unsalted butter and 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar until fully combined and light in color; about 3 minutes. Add egg, molasses and crystallized ginger; beat well. Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until well blended.
  • Pour the remaining 1/3 cup sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and toss each ball in the sugar to coat.
  • Set the balls 1-1/2 to 2-inches apart on cookie sheets covered in parchment or nonstick baking liners. The cookies will spread.
  • Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and heat to 350 degrees. Bake cookies, rotating the sheets up and down halfway through until the cookies are puffed and the bottoms lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. The cookies will be dry on the surface but soft on the inside.
  • The surface cracks will look wet. Let them sit on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for five days or in the freezer up to one month.
  • *Make sure egg and butter are at room temperature, as this will change the results of the recipe.
  • **Unbleached flour has a higher level of gluten than bleached flour. It is preferred in sturdy baked goods such as these.

Happy Holidays, however you wrap them.

Other Ginger Cookies You Might Enjoy:
Giant Ginger Cookies
Saigon Cinnamon Ginger Cookies
Soft and Chewy Molasses Gingerdoodles

1. Diane 1

They look perfect!
    Ginger is supposed to be good for warding off colds and flu so perhaps we should all eat some of these as a health precaution!

2. wkf 2

Well I’ll be making those!
    I like your goose.

3. This ginger cookie recipe looks and sound wonderful. I like that it is chewy, rather than hard and crisp. Also, ginger is supposed to be very good for upset tummies and this time of the year with all the excess, makes them even more appetizing.

Maybe the ginger cookies helped what ailed you ?

I come from a ginger lovin’ people too!!
    Great recipe.

5. b 6

Crosp, chewy amd gingery does it for me. These cookies look perfect!!

6. OK, now I’ll make these instead of traditional gingerbread cookies for my son’s class this week. They will be the most spoiled Kindergartners. Also, I hate to say it Kathy, but it took me 1 1/2 months to completely get over my cold. The cough was darn persistent.

7. Ginger cookies are my favorite! I’ve never made them this way. I think I’ll have to take a 45 minute ride to a store that might have crystallized ginger. One or two would be good right now with my coffee

8. Ooooooo these look good! I love ginger as well so I would have a hard time not wolfing these down myself.

9. your recipe presentation and photos are always so lovely! these cookies look delish and i don’t even like ginger. :) i don’t know how you have the time for all this stuff, what with taking care of the land in OR and everything else. what’s your secret?!?

Such a simple cookie that you made to look so festive with your natural creatability. If I can find the crystallized ginger, I plan to make some of these for the holidays. Sounds like you are feeling somewhat better. Take care.

11. oooh! I love ginger!

12. I love ginger snaps! I’ll be making these for Christmas.

Cathy you’ve really done a great job with presentation on these cookie, I love every picture! I’m a crisp on the outside and chewy in the middle kinda girl, these are right up my alley!

14. Oh my – that would be quite a treat – i love the crisp and chewy factor !

15. Louise 16

Ohhhhhhhh, I can practically smell those beauties from here! Your presentations are always inspiring.

16. Teri 17

I love ginger cookies at the holiday times. These look really good! Pretty with the bow. My daughter are going to make a bunch of cookies for our local Fire Dept. I think these will go on our list… maybe I will dunk them halfway in dark chocolate too. Mmmmmm.

Glad you are somewhat feeling better!

17. Ohhhh … this might be PERFECT for the teachers. I have almost everything in my cabinets to make this too. Zac said last night that he didn’t know if we should do gifts to the teachers because he hears us talking about keeping Christmas gifts at a minimum this year. This could be PERFECT.

You ROCK!

These cookies look wonderful but I don’t know if I’ll ever even get any cookies done this year. Can you please come and get mine done for me? I can’t quit blowing my nose long enough to do anything, lol.

19. ELRA 20

Cathy,
    I must make this, as my husband love ginger cookies.
    Hey, love that cute duck, too.
    Happy baking!

20. Becky 21

Those look delicious!
    I hope your feeling better!!!

21. Those look great. I love ginger cookies. Another recipe for the file.

22. I hope you’re feeling much, much better!

These cookies look wonderful! My grandparents loved ginger snaps, so making these will remind me of them. :)

I love ginger cookies. I’ll be making treats for loved ones this year and you can bet this recipe will be used. Thanks Cathy!

24. Cheryl 25

With how yummy that dough looked enrobed in sugar, I doubt any would make it to the stove in my house! YUM!

25. nina 26

I love Ginger snaps and I use them in my cheesecake recipes often. I love your photos,they are so vibrant and full of holiday cheer!!!

26. Those look fabulous! I’m glad you’re feeling better!

27. Tanya 28

Could these look any more perfect? I’ve fallen in love with gingersnaps over the years. This sounds like a fantastic recipe.

28. Oh my gosh. I have the same recipe and the same little duck/goose/whatever he is. I buy my crystallized ginger at Trader Joes. Thrifty.

gorgeous cathy! these photos are so pretty. I hope you’re feeling better. I hate the coughing stage. just give me a bottle of codine and call it a day.

30. tipper 31

Yum! And so perfect for this time of year!

My husband adores ginger cookies and these look fantastic. Excellent and enticing photos, as well.

32. Katie 33

Those look delicious! I love the ribbon, it is such a cute presentation.

33. revekah 34

thanks for the great recipe, how many does this recipe make?

34. Cathy 35

Approximately 4 dozen.

35. Biz 36

DOUBLE YUM! I may use this recipe for my cookie exchange coming up. Thanks NP!

36. Cathy,
    I love ginger snaps, gingerbread and anything flavored with ginger. I love the spiciness of it.
    Your photos are so terrific! What am I doing wrong?
    Stacey

37. Shirley 38

Such a lovely presentation! Despite your note about the high gluten content, I’ve already converted this recipe to gluten-free and will be making it this weekend! Thanks!

38. I really like ginger snaps, but tend to steer away from “live” ginger. We had a ginger cake with cheese cake filling and a chocolate glaze at the pub the other night. Quite tasty, but I avoided the candied ginger they sprinkled it with!

39. These look AMAZING!!! Chewy/crunchy gingersnaps are one of my all time favorite holiday cookies. And look at you, with your pretty bows!! Oh, I just love it.

40. Can I get on your Double Ginger Crackle samples mailing list? Pleassssssse???

41. I think tomorrow. I have the chunky crystallized ginger, can I mince it up? Or do you use something else. I’m nibbling my fingers here. Glad you feel better, did you try my special cough syrup?

42. YES! Crystallized ginger is the greatest thing. I use it in my gingerbread men. Mmmmmmmm. This recipe looks great.

43. I will be scouring the aisles for that special ginger (I know both of my favorite markets stock it) and making these goodies for SURE! I have several favorite recipes for ginger cookies of all sorts. BUT . . . I always have room for a new one. : D YUM YUM YUM!

44. Amber 45

Hey remember yesterday when I said I don’t seem to get sick? Yeah, I lied. 87 degrees in Mexico. 44 degrees in California. Ginger is good for colds. I am not that far from you. Come visit and bring ginger cookies. We can be sick and get fat.

45. Chou 46

Ginger cookies are my favorite. The idea of crystallized ginger in them makes them even more attractive. Yum! Happy holidays!

yes…i’ll take a soft and chewy ginger cookie over a gingersnap any day. those suckers hurt my gums. :)

47. Deborah 48

These look wonderful – although I do have a hard time finding crystallized ginger here. I guess I’ll have to order some online!

48. I think I just found my cookie. I’m supposed to bring some cookies for a cookie exchange and have been waffling over different kinds. These sound perfect: crispy and chewy? Yes!

Yum! These look like some my grandmother used to make. Though I don’t think she used the crystallized ginger. But still.

50. Kori 51

I just pulled my first batch out of the oven! That first cookie, warm and chewy, was just heavenly!! The folks at the party tonight are going to be SOOOO impressed. Thanks for another knock-em-dead recipe.

51. Chris 52

I am just finishing up a TRIPLE batch of these beauties (for teachers). Yumm! Thank you for yet another great recipe.

52. Hey Cathy, I have to tell you I have made a very similar cookie for years and because I couldn’t find my recipe, (someday I’ll get organized!!) I used yours and made these for our company’s annual cookie bake off – AND WON! The only thing I did differently was to dip half the cookie (actually a little less) in melted chocolate. Divine. Thanks for the perfect timing on this post!

53. Brooke 54

These look fab! I love ginger and just got a tin of those crystallized ginger chips – can’t wait to try these. And your pics are beautiful.

54. I have three things to say: 1.The pictures shown in here are very good captured. 2. The stuff looks very yummy. 3. I love cooking so I love this blog.

55. I have done some Logos for food companies and I love to do it, as your products seem amazing.

These look SO good! I love crystallized ginger! I love to put it in shortbread and then dip half of the cookie in melted chocolate. Just posted a recipe for a ginger cookie with bacon from Martha Stewart’s holiday cookies mag. So good, sweet and salty! Bacon cookies would be perfect for The Noble Pig!

57. Bonnie 58

Making these tonight for a Christmas cookie exchange party tomorrow night. Even got the red ribbon! Hope they come out at least close to how good yours look!

58. Leanne 59

I’ll have to try adding the crystalized ginger to my recipe that I love. One thing I do is use turbinado sugar (Sugar In The Raw), instead of regular granulated, to roll the dough balls in instead of just plain sugar. Adds a wonderful crunch!