I call this the 1-2-3 dinner because just like that, snap, and it's ready.
On the way home yesterday, after spending the afternoon at a museum with my boys, my eight-year old begged me to make this for dinner. It's one of his favorite meals and he knows he doesn't have to wait long for me to whip this up.
"Mom, please make the 1-2-3 chicken tonight, it's soooo good. I really, really want it and it's so yummy, you could even put it on Noble Pig." What a smart boy.
So here it is, dinner in a flash, ready so fast there's even time to take pictures!
I know I saw this recipe in a magazine, however I can't remember which one. I've made it so many times, I have it memorized. I also don't remember if this dish had a name, so let's call it Tangy-Sweet Plum-Spiced Chicken, a shout out to the plum jam and Chinese five-spice powder used in this recipe.
So come on, your family is waiting, let's make dinner.
Here's what you'll need: Skinless, boneless chicken thighs, Chinese five-spice powder, green onions, extra-virgin olive oil, chicken broth, plum jam and balsamic vinegar. Ingredients not shown: Salt.
A scary but necessary photo. In a bowl, toss the chicken thighs together with 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil until hot. Add chicken thighs and cook 5 minutes on each side, until browned and juices run clear. Transfer thighs to a plate; cover to keep warm.
In drippings in skillet, on medium heat, cook chopped green onions until browned, about three to four minutes.
Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup plum jam and 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium and reduce down, about four minutes, until sauce is syrupy.
Return the chicken thighs to the skillet and coat with the sauce. Done.
See the syrupy coating? It should be illegal.
Have a nice dinner.
Sweet-Tangy Plum-Spiced Chicken
This is a ghost candy dish with my glass candy corns. Aren't they cute?
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- Just received my bakeware from @oxo for the #OXOGoodCookies campaign, where we are baking a… https://t.co/KMES1kQyvi, 12 hours ago
- Good morning Oregon. @ Middle of Nowhere https://t.co/ByT4dbRhf9, 22 hours ago
- RT @MyKitchenCraze: Spiced Pumpkin Poke Cake ~ Perfect for your next fall gathering! http://t.co/axyUmoqk3a @Target #FallFlavors [ad] http://t.co/bAIN9LJEGX, Oct 5
- RT @FirstYearBlog: Make this halloween witch platter to celebrate October! Use pistachios from @DiamondNuts! http://t.co/p3QISzaOdW http://t.co/adnNvmNM6y, Oct 5
- RT @honeyBirchtrees: Double Berry Cupcakes – Cook for the Cure http://t.co/WqC8EqYvgz http://t.co/qkYQE3KILF, Oct 5