Lemon Mini Muffins with Lime-Scented Sugar

The sugar.  Doesn’t it look like snow?  These are like little tiny, sugary-bites of yummness.

I was intrigued by these Lemon Mini Muffins with lime-scented sugar, not just because I adore citrus desserts but because the whole lemon, rind and all (except the seeds), is used to make this recipe.  I thought that was pretty cool.

So for those of you who hate to waste anything, this recipe is sooooo for you.

I’ll have to admit the lime-scented sugar got to me too, I couldn’t help myself, I had to make them.

You should make them too…

Here’s what you will need:  All-purpose flour, baking powder, table salt, baking soda, ground nutmeg, lemon-flavored yogurt, minced fresh lemon, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, unsalted butter, lime zest and an egg.

Whisk 1-1/4 cups all purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon baking powder and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg together in a bowl.

Now for the crazy part of this recipe.  Cut up 1 to 2 lemons in chunks (with the rind), removing the seeds.  Pulse in a food processor until it’s oatmeal-like.  Weird, I know.

Combine 1/4 cup lemon-flavored yogurt, 2 Tablespoons minced fresh lemon and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in a cup with a pour spout.

Cream 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar and 4 Tablespoons butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until the butter turns light in color (about 4-5 minutes).  Add the egg and beat well.  Alternately blend flour and yogurt mixtures into butter; starting and ending with flour; DO NOT OVERMIX.  Blend just until each addition is incorporated; using a stand mixer works best.

Coat a mini muffin pan with nonstick spray.  Fill prepared muffin pan three-quarters full (obviously I over-filled mine, but I like big-mini muffins).

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean.

While the muffins are baking, pulse 1/4 cup sugar with the zest of one lime until the lime is minced.

Brush the warm muffins with 4 Tablespoons melted butter.

Roll each muffin in sugar mixture to coat.

I still think it looks like snow.  Where’s my holiday presents?

Don’t you think world would be a better place if you could only see muffins?  I do.

Lemon Mini-Muffins with lime scented sugar
Adapted from Cuisine at Home

4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg

For the topping:
1/4 cup sugar
Chopped zest of 1 lime
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, baking powder and ground nutmeg together in a bowl.

Combine lemon-flavored yogurt, minced fresh lemon and vanilla extract in a cup with a pour spout.

Cream granulated sugar and butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until the butter turns light in color (about 4-5 minutes).  Add the egg and beat well.  Alternately blend flour and yogurt mixtures into butter; starting and ending with flour; DO NOT OVERMIX.  Blend just until each addition is incorporated; using a stand mixer works best.

Brush the warm muffins with melted butter.  Roll each muffin in sugar mixture to coat.

*Tip: Lots of people tell me their baked goods do not turn out moist.  This is most likely caused by either over-mixing the batter or measuring your flour incorrectly.  Since baking is a science it is important to correctly measure your ingredients.  Even an ounce more of flour in a recipe can severely alter the consistency.  When measuring flour, do not scoop it out with your measuring cup, this will surely cause an over use of flour.  Instead, spoon flour into a measuring cup and level off the top with a knife.  More and more recipes are now listing ingredients in weight portions.  I always prefer to weigh my ingredients on a small scale rather than measure them, you get much better results.

Halloween-A-Day-Photo

These are my black cake stands.  You can use them for any occasion but they are especially perfect for displaying a tower of Halloween treats.  The pumpkin on top was sent to me from Becky over at Twisted Fencepost, along with a gaggle of other Halloween treats.  Thanks Becky!

Guess what? We have REAL SNOW here today! LOTS OF IT! I am going to have to take some pictures. Can’t remember the last time we had snow before Halloween!

Your muffins sound so yummy and I just know my son Chris would love them! Oh, me too.

2. Katie 2

I really like citrus desserts also. I’ve been looking for a recipe to bring the teachers, this one looks good!

I love lemony stuff.
    Those are gorgeous.
    Can a muffin be gorgeous?

4. Becky 4

You are welcome!
    Those Lemon Muffins look delicious. I love lemon in just about anything.
    I can just see your cake stands filled with them. The are hauntingly beautiful!

5. Kim 5

Cathy, I absolutely love these muffins. The topping sets these apart, I am saving this recipe. Thanks!

6. I am going to be as big as a house because of your AMAZING recipes…but please don’t stop because my family is more likable because of you.

If your Halloween decorations are this wonderful, I can not wait to see the Winter Holiday stuff!!!

Your blog totally rocks!

Marlene

7. maris 7

How funny to see your holiday-esque cupcakes next to the Halloween photo! I can’t believe the holiday season is just about here…so many recipes, so little time :)

8. SO amazing looking. I love all of that sugary limey stuff. Chunky lemon within sounds like a good way to get a lot of lemon flavor in there.

Happy Halloween Week!

9. I just got a whiff of lime. No joke.

10. Tammy 10

And why aren’t those muffins ON that lovey cake stand? LOL

For a neat jack-o-lantern Monkey Girl carved, check out my post today!

link to thecolorofhome.blogspot.com

11. Lisa 11

These look fabulous! I love all the citrus.

12. Harmony 12

It does look like snow…what a great recipe. And muffins, WOW, I love muffins.

The snow is in my yard, of course. I am angry. Please send me some muffins to alleviate my upset at the early snow.

14. marcy 14

Wow those look so yummy, I just may have to make some. Probably won’t turn out as pretty as yours though!

15. Those look beautiful and delicious!! And, as usual, your photos are so pretty!

16. I have never seen real snow in person, but something tells me that I would prefer this kind here. ;)

I have made a cake with whole oranges, Cathy, but they are cooked in water before being processed into a paste. I’m intrigued by your gorgeous muffins!

17. I love the taste of limes. We will certainly try this one.

18. They do look like snow! How cute!

19. Kari 19

MMmmmm….these look and sound so yummy. I love anything lemon or lime. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

20. Cheryl 20

Wow! Lemon AND lime flavors? Can I count these toward my two of my daily recommended fruit servings?

They look delicious. :)

21. Nell 21

Those look lovely.

22. krysta 22

i love that you can use all of the lemon! these are on the must make list.

23. These look way to good! I am so making these very soon.

24. These look so freaking good! I’m definitely making these very soon!

25. My father-in-law loves lemony things, so guess who’s going to get a new tasty treat? Thanks for this recipe!

26. melissa 26

I have made these before. Or very close to. Yummy. I love the cake stand with the pumpkin on top! Are you ready for Friday? We are.

27. Allison 27

I’m new to baking and it really helps that you put the pictures up for each step of the process. I’m often wondering, “Well is this what it’s supposed to look like?” before I go to the next step in a recipe.

I can’t remember how I came across your blog a couple of weeks ago, but I’m very glad I did! Love the Halloween pics as well. Thanks for sharing! =]

You had me at lime scented sugar. I do love my citrus, as does the family.
    Can’t wait to try these out. I really appreciate that you give me all the good recipes on grocery shopping day. You are so thoughtful that way.

Yummmm! Those look so good but I have to admit the lime scented sugar is what sounds good to me. What great cake stands and the pumpkin looks so cute on top. You and Becky are two of a Halloween kind.

30. Teri 30

Lemon, Lime and Muffins… nothing more to be said!

Coveting your black cake stands!

31. Aleta 31

Oh, that does look like snow and I wish I could smell it through the monitor, because it looks yummy!

32. I just bought a mini muffin pan at the insistence of Rachel. She effectively argued that she would receive plenty of enjoyment and LESS sugar from the diminuitive-sized morsels. I caved — that pan is so cute. Now I will simply have to test-drive the pan with this yummy recipe. : )

33. ELRA 33

Cathy,
    I am bookmarking this delicious looking muffins. I love those pedestal cakes, very unusual that they come in black.

34. Tammy 34

The muffins look delish….
    and how sweet of Becky to send you halloween goodies!!
    Funny how our little world really brings people together as friends!

35. K2 35

Oh.My Those muffins look SOOOOOO yummy. I am following you now (thanks to my sis, MamaGoose who led me to you)…Must.Make.Muffins. MMM
    Also, can you believe at the age of 47 I only just discovered that Zinfandel comes in red ? It is so yummy too. Fast becoming a new favorite of mine.
    Thanks for a great blog!
    -K2

36. Oooh, love the lime-scented sugar! Great stuff!

Oh my gawd I want these right now. Why don’t I own a mini muffin pan? Shame on me! Not I must get one….

38. sharon 38

Lovely lime sugar/snow! That last picture is just too much for me. I want one now!

that middle picture of the single muffin…that’s a Tastespotting picture for sure.
    you really out-shined here Cath.
    amazing!!!
    why do I want some tequilla now? lol

40. KathyB. 40

What a perfect recipe for the Ladies’ Craft Night I have in my home every so often. Lemon / lime desserts and foods are so refreshing and this recipe is pretty too . I’m making this one,thanks again !

41. Biz 41

So yum! I can’t wait to make these!

42. Oh, so sweet. Like limey little sugary mountains!

I LOVE those black cake stands. They’er so cool!
    The muffins look great too:)

44. Katrina 44

Wow! Yum! Weird!–with the whole lemon parts in them. Looks SO good!

I love the lime sugar…my mouth is watering. I could eat at least six of those little beauties.

46. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those look heavenly!

47. dlyn 47

Wow! Those look so good – I love sugar coated things, love lemons, love limes. I am swooning!

48. Linda 48

I am making these. NOW! Yum!

49. Jamee 49

Wow! Those look delicious! I always make those packaged Lemon Poppy Seed muffins, I bet these are way better! and homemade!

50. tipper 50

Yummy Muffins! Love the cake stands-and Becky is a true sweetheart with a great blog!!

51. medstudentwife 51

omg.. I just have to make these – we both love lemon and lime to the point of craziness !!!

(my fav potatoe chips were the Frito lime ones when they 1st came out about 5 years ago)

The “snow” looks fun:)

52. I LOVE the black cake stand, it’s so chic yet versatile! Interesting about putting the lemons minus seeds in the food processor. I can almost smell its citrusy goodness from here!

53. Amber 53

Since I am on dial up stillllll, it takes forever for photos to load. As I was reading your post I kept thinking ‘They are probably pretty cute little muffins, Cathy never does anything but amazing, I read the comments, went to something else, finally came back, and OMG! These are absolutely adorable. You may have outdone yourself. Then…the black cake stands! Will you share where they came from? I love the big pumpkin mouth, it looks like it can spit out as many opinions as me.

54. I’m loving the scented sugar – really!

-DTW

55. Your tip tells me precisely why I’m no good at baking. It IS a science and I’m a throw ‘n go cook.
    Must say those look amazing and I’m intrigued by the use of the lemon rind. Just might have to try them (wearing my scientist coat, of course).

56. giz 56

For sure looks like snow – in the best of ways. What great looking muffins. Your pictures today are even better than normal if that’s even possible.

Ok I need these, I need these now. I love anything lemon flavored!

58. what an awesome recipe. i cannot believe you pulse the whole lemon in a food processor. amazing. i love the idea of dipping them in that lime sugar too. and maybe eating them with a mojito or something. yummm.

59. Familia 59

so yummy! i’d love to see the snowy cupcakes on the black cake stands!

60. Okay, so I know I’ve said like 29 times, that this is my fave Halloween pic/decoration…but c’mon this is MY FAVE!!!

Also, while making coffee tonight…I looked at our coffee maker – I think I may have said something about Gevalia on your coffee questions…We use a DeLonghi and it is stainless so it keeps coffee uber warm and doesn’t burn the bottom. :)

61. Lisa 61

That lime scented sugar is beautiful on those lemony yellow muffins. Such pretty and tempting little treats!

62. Let’s see: no waste, muffins, citrus and lime sugar? These are perfect. You knew I’d say that, right?

63. Philly 63

I absolutely LOVE lemon. I could bath in a tub full of lemons.

it does kinda look like snow! frankly, i’d much rather see that kind of snow than the kind i see as i look out my window right now. :)

65. I love lemon cakes. These look delcious.

But watch the snow comments! I want no snow reminders. The weather is getting steadily colder outside and it’s not even November. While attending a business meeting in NYC yesterday, I looked out the window and saw REAL snow falling for a few minutes. It made me sick.

66. These look fantastic! I’m a sucker for citrus desserts too. I’ve got a tree full of lemons ripening so you can bet I’ll be making these soon!

67. Those look so yummy! I love lemon cake!

68. Wow these have so much flavor going on with the chopped up lemons and the lime-yummy! Another great recipe from you!

Totally love the black cake stands! Oh man, a new must on my want list.

70. Sandie 70

Which do I love more, these phenomenal cupcakes, or those chic, black cake stands? Hard to choose, hard to choose!

71. Sandie 71

I am SO making these soon, and seriously…dish. Where’d you get those cake stands? I’ve never run across black ones. They’re fabulous!

72. sooze 72

I love the black cake stands and am desperate to know where to get them.

73. Natasha 73

These look delish! I am obsessed with anything miniature. Also, I have to commend you posting every day and posting with a halloween photo! You are inspriring me to actually decorate for Halloween. Thanks!

74. Sue 74

Hi Cathy,
    I did this recipe for C@H too! Isn’t that minced lemon thing a wacky idea? I totally thought it’d taste gross but was very suprised at how powerful the flavor was. Glad you like them and are sharing. Your photos are great!

75. Deborah 75

I was sold with lime scented sugar!

76. magpie 76

Those muffins look awesome, and right up my citrus-loving alley.

77. Suzette 77

Oh my! These muffins sound like they were invented with ME in mind. I go for anything lemon every time. And these do sound like the lemony-est ever! Can’t wait to try ’em!

78. Suzette 78

I made these yesterday. But…I was out of lemons, so I just made them with lime instead of lemon and lime. They are wonderful. I like them even better this morning, now that they have mellowed a bit. This is a permanent addition to my recipe file. Thanks for another winner!

79. These sure look great! But chopping the lemon up? I need some time to digest this recipe before I put my foot into it!

80. Joseph 80

lemon flaver is the best..yummy