Sweet Potato Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar Coating

Yes, it's a muffin...disguised as a brown ball of sugary goodness.  No, there was not a better title for this post.

Oh folks, if you want something good, something over the top, something to remind you of all things right with the world, something to melt your problems away, something to make you forget about the election, the economy, Acorn, Joe the Plumber, voter fraud, Bill Ayers, the plunging stock market and subprime loans...make these.  Just make em'.

They are that good.  Yep, yep, yep they are.

Now let's get to making these incredible, light, airy and sinful tasting muffins.

Here's what you will need:  All-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, ground nutmeg, buttermilk, whole milk, sweet potato puree, vanilla extract, unsalted butter, brown sugar, eggs, granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.

In a medium bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.  Set aside.

In a large pouring vessel combine 1/3 cup whole milk, 1/3 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup sweet potato puree and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream 1 stick unsalted butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Alternately mix dry and wet ingredients into the butter, starting and ending with the dry; mix only until each addition is incorporated, DO NOT OVERMIX.

Coat a muffin pan with nonstick spray and fill muffin cups 1/2 full.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.

While muffins are baking, in a shallow bowl, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.  In a separate bowl, melt 1 stick of unsalted butter.

When the muffins are cool enough to handle, yet still warm, remove muffins from the pan, brush them completely with the melted butter, and roll in the sugar mixture to coat.

These muffins are like eating crumb cake, look at the coating.

Where there is one...

There are many.

Do you see the pockets of light and airy?  You must try these.

Sweet Potato Muffins with cinnamon sugar coating

For the muffins:
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sweet potato puree (from 1 baked potato)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs

For the topping:
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

In a medium bowl, combine all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and ground nutmeg.  Set aside.

In a large pouring vessel combine whole milk, buttermilk, sweet potato puree and vanilla extract.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream unsalted butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer, until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Alternately mix in dry and wet ingredients into the butter, starting and ending with the dry; mix only until each addition is incorporated, DO NOT OVERMIX.

While muffins are baking, in a shallow bowl, combine granulated sugar, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.  In a separate bowl, melt
1 stick of unsalted butter.

Halloween-A-Day-Photo

The spiderweb candle.  A tealight is placed inside to illuminate this web, casting a spooky glow around the room.

1. Um, like a donut but even better! Nice work Cathy, you’ve done it again :)

2. These look delicious. Even though I am not a sweet potato lover, these could help me add sweet potatoes to my diet, in dessert !I think I will be baking these for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays . I might even put these in place of the sweet potato dishes that usually occupy the center of the Thanksgiving table , but rarely are consumed !

3. Oh Cathy they are beauties! I thought they ere those donut-muffins I see everywhere now and I would be happy, but these sound even better with the sweet potato! Gotta start potato baking myself too!

4. Debbie 4

I tried to take a bite out of my computer screen.

5. Deba 5

The title couldn’t get funnier & better! LOL…can just imagine the fun you had making these & them rolling them around.They look fabulous…you do great stuff with sweet potatoes cathy. Love the air pockets & the crumb! Oh ya, & the candle is great too!

Muffin temptress…

7. Leslie 8

Oh you soooo know I will be making these, cause I just can shake Joe the Plumber from my mind!!!hehehehehe

8. I wish I had one right now to eat with my morning coffee. It’s rainy and still dark outside but at least it’s not snowing!
    I love the candle! I can’t get over how many Halloween decorations you have. Almost as many as my mom has for Christmas.

9. Teri 10

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMN! I’m going to have to make this recipe.

Teri

10. Must have one of those muffins. Immediately.

11. Becky 12

Those muffins look sinfully delicious! There are so many recipes on the web, on blogs alone, that I will cooking/baking for the next ten years.
    Love the spiders and candle. I’m gonna have to find me one of those.

12. Those muffins look fabulous! I have fond memories of your peanut butter muffins getting me through the big illness earlier this year! The curative properties of muffins!

The candle is awesome too!

13. They look like doughnuts!

14. I love it. I think I will try to make them with coconut and oat flours….

15. Harmony 16

These look fabulous…..the boys will love them…thanks!

16. Fran 17

Oh my….and I thought I would start my diet today…..

Fran

17. That looks so incredibly good. And here I sit on an empty stomach and with a protein shake to look forward to as breakfast – Grrrr. But ohhhh, I’d rather look at the picture than not :)

18. Oh I wish I had one (or 2!) right now! Those look incredible!!

19. I made something really similar to this only it didn’t have the sweet potatoes in it. I’m going to try these really soon…they would be perfect on a cold, weekend morning!

In my world, muffin is a magic word! These look great – please send mine soon!

21. tipper 22

I love sweet potatoes-the muffins look great! Love the candle too.

22. annie 23

I don’t care for sweet potatoes. Do you think pumpkin puree would work?

23. Teri 24

Oh sweet yummy goodness… I’ve always told my family, when things seem as bleak as bleak can get, make muffins! As long as you have good food in the house, things just… seem a little better. When my kids have “their worst day EVER” I make my special “pumpkin pecan” muffins. That puts a smile on every time!

I’m making these today… I think I need a smile. Thanks. Cute candle!

24. Ooh, I do love me a sweet potato muffin! Particularly one that looks like a cinnamon sugar donut hole. Mmmm…

Ooh these look terrific! I can’t wait to try them and that spider web candle is cute.

26. SnugBug 27

I LOVE sweet potatoes and sugar…these look fabulous and will taste great from now til T-Day when I go sweet potato bonkers! YUM!!

27. Dee 28

Hmmm… I’m not sure those muffins are even legal, Cathy. I’m off to check out that Ho Down now; I must be living under a rock :(

28. You had me at the brush with butter. I can just taste these by looking at them.

You know at first I thought they were something else and then as I continued to read I saw sweet potato in there and then buttermilk! You are insanely smart woman. God these look so damn delish.

Yes this is like a donut muffin! I’ve got to make these!! They look amazing!!

31. ELRA 32

Cathy dear,
    That muffin look sinfully good. No, it’s not funny if I copy this and submit it to PHD.
    Yes…yes…yess….I can see the airy light pockets on your muffins. Delicious!

32. Lisa 33

These look so perfectly wonderful. I love sweet potatoes! Making them into an almost donut-like cinnamon sugary muffin is inspired political therapy.

33. Yum YUM Yummy YUM! I just bought the most BEAUTIFUL sweet potato at the market. Dare I sacrifice him to this sugary madness? Hmmm … I can always get another beauty later. Let’s go for it! I shall make a SUPER healthy potage to rest alongside this gorgeous “treat” muffin. Dinner’s all set … I’m off to play. (Hmmmm … subliminal message coming in: GO CLEAN COBWEBS!)

34. Deborah 35

Yes, yes – I must try these right away!

35. krysta 36

how in the heck are you so prepared? i’m mean wow! i guess i’m making these. yummy

36. Cassie 37

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! My mouth is watering!!!!!!

37. Now that’s a muffin. Great Recipe! Beautiful color inside, love sweet potatoes!

38. m 39

Thanks for the recipes!

39. Lore 40

May I eat the entire batch please? Pretty please 😀

40. Katrina 41

Looks divine! I just bought sweet potatoes today. Just wondering, do they stay good for a couple days or seem a lot more dry the next day?

41. Amber 42

I don’t think these look like muffins. They look like round donuts. Muffins look healthy. These look delishes.

42. Marlene 43

Will you PLEASE patent the smell o vision!!! I think I might be baking this weekend…do you think they would work with some good ol’ southern yams?

Just wondering.

Did I mention that I secretly think I am in love with you…just joking…well, maybe? Don’t tell the man at my house though.

Marlene

43. annbb 44

They look delicious!

And I love that candle!

44. Heaven help me, those look good enough to just walk up and slap somebody!

How do you do it?

I thought about your “Halloween-A-Day” photos when I was in our Potter Barn outlet and saw the Halloween decorations ON SALE!! Some are 70% off, but I’ll bet you have everything!!

45. These muffins would so hit the spot right now.

Very cool candle. Thing. :) But the muffins – can I eat them on my new low-fat diet?

47. Oh, my. Yummmmmmmmm. And the title is perfect!

48. anything with sweet potatoes is all me!! These look delicious…yum.

49. Those muffins look sooooo good! I’ve got to try this. I simply can’t pass it up.

50. Those looks absolutely delicious!

51. And so my recipe folder gets thicker and thicker.
    I have to get one of those candles before Halloween.

Yay, more spiders!

53. that girl down south 54

ooh that looks absolutely shameful!
    I’ll have to try that some day when my diet conviction wears off.

Mmmm. Yummy. And spiders, too!

55. I have no words to describe the wonder of these beautiful muffins. They look fantastic. These will be the next ones I try. Yummy!!!

56. Amber 57

Augh, I still can’t remember how to spell delishous. What a moron. Anyways, I always appreciate and love your comments but I do not expect them so give your self a break if you need or want too. But…I was hoping you would see the table setting stuff with the wine corks because I thought of you when I was doing the write up and uploading the photos. I almost wrote “And for Cathy…” but wasn’t sure if you would have known. I am glad you enjoyed them. Till tomorrow.

57. Shirley 58

Okay, these are on my “to do” list for the weekend. I know they will work the “amnesia magic” that you mentioned. 😉

58. Erin 59

Oh good grief, Cathy. WHY do you do these evil, EVIL things to me? WHY?

Those look so yummy.

59. yes those look good enough to eat! Send mine by overnight express. What did you fix with them?

60. Tammy 61

Even my bulldog is looking at my laptop and drooling!! (I tried to get a picture, but drool is hard to capture)
    I am definately making these this weekend….I could eat sweet potatoes or potatoes any time, any place! yum

61. The cute title caught my attention 😀 Love the dark brown hue and the sugar on top :)

Those look so amazing – I could eat a few (or more) of them. I love the cinnamon/sugar topping.

these’d be pretty dang yummy without the lovely cinnamon-sugar coating, but come on. that’s not making it fair to me–i could never resist ’em now. :)

64. Katie 65

This is my kind of muffin. It almost looks like a donut!

65. Oh my lord…I just drooled on my keyboard.

66. Cheryl 67

Is it poor form to lick or nibble off the coating first and THEN eat the inerds? Yummy yum yum!

[Hey-I have an entirely non-sexual proposition for you…please drop me an email at Cheryl[at]cheryllage.com]

67. Chris 68

Yumm! I’m making these this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

68. Graeme 69

Wow – What a lovely colour.

And you just can’t get anything wrong with Cinnamon Sugar. :)

69. I bet these are super moist, too. I like the addition of sweet potato. That way you can con yourself into thinking these are really good for you when all you care about is getting your teeth into that spectacular sugary, buttery topping.

70. What a lovely and tasteful muffin!!

I just love sweet potato!!

71. Kevin 72

Just look at that cinnamony and sugary goodness!

OMG those look so good they should practically be illegal.

73. Marysol 74

I know these must be outrageously good because I’ve made a similar version (minus the pumpkin purée), called Dirt Bombs.

Your rendition is one I must try this fall because I love pumpkin…and I need an excuse to make these delectable morsels.

74. Jude 75

Wow. Loving the perfect domed tops.

75. maris 76

Wow – everything in this post seriously looks delicious! Right down to the glass candy corn…well OK, except maybe the spiders :)

76. Dana 77

WOW — these look fantastic! Question: In a pinch, could you substitute pumpkin for the sweet potatoes?

77. Sue 78

Hi Cathy, Thanks for attributing this recipe to [email protected]–I was the person who developed it! So glad you’re enjoying it and sharing it with others. I love this muffin!

78. Julie 79

I tried this recipe, and it is awesome! Very much like a light cake donut, but not crazy sweet. Crazy moist, though, which is a great thing! Thanks for sharing!

79. Brid 80

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I tried the muffins and they were quite good, but mine were very dense and not at all light and airy like the photos.

I mashed the sweet potato instead of pureeing it, was that the problem? I thought the batter was very, very dry and added a little extra buttermilk so it could look more like yours did when I put it into the muffin cups. Otherwise, I followed the recipe to the letter. What went wrong?

80. Cathy 81

Mashing the sweet potato would not have caused a problem.

When it comes to baking, lots of things can go wrong.  I find most issues with density occur in the overuse of flour or over-mixing.

When measuring flour, always scoop your flour into your measuring cup with a spoon and then level off with a knife.  This helps reduce the chance of using too much flour.  Even one ounce too much can really change the consistency of the batter.

Over-mixing has a real effect as well.  After each flour and liquid addition the batter should be mixed just to incorporate.  A few swirls with a stand mixer is usually all you need.

For this muffin, my batter was very dense but the muffins were very light and airy.

I hope this helps.

81. Leslie 82

i just made these muffins and they are delicious! they are like a churro combined with…a muffin. thanks for posting this recipe, i was looking for something to do with my leftover sweet potatoes and this was perfect!

82. Tracey 83

These were awesome. I have been wanting to make them since I came across this recipe about 2 weeks ago. YUM! It is always good when a new recipe you are craving to try is as satisfying as you hope it will be. Thank you so much for posting it and giving me a new recipe I will come back to time and time again.

83. Mmmmm 84

Just made these. I mashed the sweet potato and put an extra half cup in there, and they were still light and airy. Not very sweet potato-y, even with the extra, but still very good. I had a lot of melted butter left over. I think you could probably use 3/4 of a stick and still be OK. Worth making.

84. Stacy 85

These were brought in by a co-worker for a morning meeting and we all went nuts! Will make this weekend for the family. VERY VERY good! Thanks for all the cute pix with the recipe!! A “no brainer”.

85. I just made the muffins and absolutly loved it!
    I’ve published the recipe in my blog, with the respective link.
    If you want to take a look, it’s in portuguese, but you can see the translated version:
    link to translate.google.com|en

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe. :)

86. Claudi 87

I made them for a BBQ today.
    I used organic no fat vanilla yoghurt instead of the butter milk, replaced 2/3 of the flour with whole grain flour and added some ground flax seeds as well as some left over grated carrots and reduced the sugar a little.
    Everybody (picky kids included) loved them.
    Great!!!

87. Hannah 88

I just made these and they are heaven on earth!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

88. Hannah 89

Thanks so much for this recipe it is HEAVEN on earth!!!

89. That is perfect that people are able to receive the mortgage loans and that opens up completely new possibilities.

90. That is well known that money can make people disembarrass. But what to do when one doesn’t have money? The one way only is to try to get the personal loans and just auto loan.

91. Diana 92

Absolutely delicious.

92. Angelique 93

Hi there. Thank you so much for this recipe. I was looking up a recipe for sweet potato muffins and this is hands down the best. They are delicious! My toddler loves sweet potatoes. This week he was assigned to bring muffins for his pre-school class. Despite the sugar I anticipate this to be a hit.

93. Alex 94

Wow. I just made these muffins yesterday and they are amazing! They are so addicting. We started a new family tradition every year to do Thanksgiving breakfast with my in-laws, this dish will be front and center on the table indeed! Thanks so much!

Oh my word, these look absolutely divine! Definitely going into my muffin repertoire! Thanks so much for posting this!

95. I feel strongly about it. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating this site with more information?

96. Steve 97

Those muffins look amazing. I love cinnamon.

Sweet potato muffins are amazing. I’m baking these this weekend for sure.

98. Steve 99

Pumpkin muffins with cinnamon are very similar (of course) and very good. I make those, but have never tried sweet potato muffins.

99. Adella 100

I made these muffins yesterday and they were so indescribably delicious, I had to make a triple batch today. I handed them out with my sons Halloween/birthday party invitations and everyone went crazy for them!
    A secret to bringing out the sweet potato flavor is to bake the sweet potatoes instead on boiling them. Baking intensifies their flavor were as boiling has a tendency to sap it out. Just my two cents!
    Thank you for the amazing recipe! They are so worth falling off the diet wagon!

100. Tiffany 101

I’ve featured this recipe on my blog: link to dontboilmybooks.weebly.com

101. macki 102

This recipe was presented in a way that you knew two things: It would be easy to follow and come out perfectly. Done and done. Fantastic. Thank you for adding a perfect finishing touch to our holiday. :)

102. glenda 103

Im going to make these for Thanksgiving. (today). they look great.

103. Cindy 104

Just made these for breakfast this morning. They are good, moist. I would make these again. Thanks for sharing.

104. Rosine 105

I have tried it and it came out delicious. making it again as I am typing. Thanks for sharing

105. Can I bake these ahead and freeze? Would they be OK when defrosted? I’m baking ahead for a party of 100+ people and making an assortment of mini muffins. I think these would be a great addition but I have to bake ahead and freeze. Then they have to travel 5 hours by car. Do you think these would work? What are they like on day 2? Have you ever had the self control to leave some to find out?