Banana Cake with Cream Cheese-Sour Cream Frosting

The baking possibilities are endless when you have a bunch of browning bananas sitting on the counter.  These possibilities come few and far between as my family gobbles up the bananas before they’ve gotten a chance to transform into a baker’s perfect canvas.

This week was different though, after visiting Bunny’s Warm Oven and seeing this Banana Cake, I knew I had to make it.  It took lots of sneaking around, hiding the bananas from my family, but I persevered.  The reward?  This unbelievably delicious Banana Cake with Cream Cheese-Sour Cream Frosting.  This cake takes banana baked goods to a whole new level of yumminess.

I’m also sending this cake over to Susan at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy for her virtual Blogiversary Party happening this week.  I hope she likes it.

Let’s make it together so you can all have a piece.

Here’s what you’ll need for the cake: All-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, fresh lemon juice, ripe bananas, eggs, granulated sugar and sour cream.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup butter and 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar in a large bowl until fluffy, about three minutes.  Add 2 eggs, beat another minute.  Mix in 3/4 cup sour cream, 1-1/3 cups bananas and 2 Tablespoons lemon juice until combined.

Stir in dry ingredients to wet ingredients until combined.  Do not over stir.

Add the batter to a 9 x 13 x 2 pan that has been lightly buttered and floured.  Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.  Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Out of the oven it will look brown from the bananas.  It smells so good at this point.

While it’s cooling, let’s make the frosting.

Here’s what you will need: Confectioner’s sugar, sour cream and cream cheese.

Beat 1/2 cup sour cream, 2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar and 8 ounces cream cheese in a large bowl until well blended.  Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.

For the kids I left the frosting plain, without any toppings.  They liked that.

For me and the Boar, I wanted something more.  Walnuts and chocolate chips got the job done.  Dang, it’s good.

Banana Cake
adapted from Bunny’s Warm Oven where she got it from Epicurious

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
1-1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Chopped walnuts (optional)
Chocolate Chips (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl until fluffy, about three minutes.  Add eggs, beat another minute.  Mix in sour cream, bananas and lemon juice until combined.

Stir in dry ingredients to wet ingredients until combined.  Do not over stir.

Add the batter to a 9 x 13 x 2 pan that has been lightly buttered and floured.  Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.  Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Cream Cheese-Sour Cream Frosting
adapted from Bunny’s Warm Oven where she got it from Epicurious

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup sour cream

Beat sour cream, confectioner’s sugar and cream cheese in a large bowl until well blended.  Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.  Add walnuts and chocolate chips if you want.

Keep the cake refrigerated since the frosting is made with perishable items.  I have to say this cake eaten cold tastes wonderful.  I can’t describe it.

Have a piece and call me in the morning.

84 Comments and 5 Replies

1. O. K. already ! A recipe I will try. No potatoes..hmm, possibilities ! Ah, YES ! Sour cream , bananas, oh yes. I will make this one. Thanks, KathyB.

2. My hubby has been known to deliberately hide a banana until it is black before popping it back in the bowl and announcing it’s arrival. ‘Now you have to make a cake. We can’t waste it’ he says with a wink!

Cheeky boy. But who can resist transforming an overripe banana into a sweet treat such as this! No-one. That’s who.

3. Lori 3

REALLY. I’ve got to quit looking at your posts the first thing in the morning. I need discipline, when I see you in my google reader: skip it for now, Lori. come back later. because now I just have to have this for breakfast, but i can’t, so i’ll have to eat something sweet and yummy from my freezer. oh wait – bananas, bananas, this could be breakfast! i’ll be making this one. it looks amazing.

4. Oh Lord, my be still! I lOve bananna cake! I have some banannas just right for the job and a birthday cake to make today! Thanks! But I want a peice now to go with my coffee.

5. can i just mainline the frosting?! would that be bad? maybe i’ll just whip up a batch of frosting and spread it on my fingers, toast, anything handy. oh, yum.

6. Gawd…are you trying to kill me? Banana cake with cream cheese sour cream frosting? My mind is going nuts right now.

7. Good banana bread/cake is a wonderful treat. I always use rotten bananas. Never used frosting before, but this one looks like it is worth a try – when I’ve lost all the weight I need to and can have a piece of something that looks so decadently yummy again !

8. Oh my gawd…banana cake and sour cream cream cheese frosting?! My mind is going nuts right now.

9. I’ll be having two slices, Cathy. :)

10. Kim 10

I just so happen to have a bunch of bananas hanging around. I love cake in the morning, and I love cold cake. So two slices for me, then I will call you.

11. dlyn 11

This looks so good. I can’t stand to eat a banana raw, but I love baking with them!

12. Mike 12

Oh I wish I saw this last night (I’d just used all my bananas and baked a loaf of banana bread for breakfast)–this looks DELICIOUS!

13. Make it stop… I beg you! I can’t look at stuff like this right now. Hobbling just doesn’t burn many calories. I want to eat the whole cake (I have dying bananas that would give their life!) but I have no way to burn it off!

14. I am sending this to The Girl, she loves to bake and has more time to do it than I do!

I want this NOW! (sorry, didn’t mean to shout)

15. It’s like torture drinking my lonely cup of coffee and wishing I had that to go with it. But, alas…I have no bananas. Soon, though!!

looks and sounds delish… i would have to really hide bananas as they would sniff them out around here…

17. Kari 17

That sounds delicious! I love anything “banana”.

18. Trisha 18

I really need to stop reading your food blogs in the morning right after finishing my walk!

This looks absolutely scrumptious! I made banana bread over the weekend but it was just plain – ole – banana – bread. Nothing fancy like yours! Maybe next time I will do your recipe!

Thanks!

19. You are killing me! I actually have some bananas calling out for this! By the way, I got my 500 pound cookbook yesterday! Thank you so much, and Happy Birthday again!

20. Louise 20

Oh, I just love it when a recipe starts with something healthy, like bananas, and then adds sugar, cream cheese, and chocolate to simply improve upon nature’s goodness. Yum!

21. Marcy 21

That looks delish Cathy! When I have going brown nanners I make chocolate chip banana bars. If you’d like the recipe let me know!

22. OMG that sounds and looks fabulous. The frosting would definitely hit it outta the park in my house. I’m adding it to my list of things to make.

:: grrrrrrrr :: you are SO not helping me lose 10 pounds!!

23. this looks incredible. i have a stash of bananas in my freezer, along with some only slightly moldy sour cream, which I think will work just fine!

I just love banana cake! And banana bread! and banana muffins! But, since I buy bananas by the case (which isn’t quite as weird as it seems at first blush), I usually have a few available. You would be surprised at how fast 40 pounds of bananas can be consumed if you throw a few people at them!

25. ELRA 25

Unfortunately I am the only one in my family like banana cake. I should actually try this one as it looks more delectable with sour cream & the chocolate chunks. Looks so moist, Cathy!

26. Anna 26

Seriously, you have caused me to drool several times in the past week or so. Cream cheese AND sour cream for the frosting? Well, I could probably eat a bowl of that all by itself!

27. I have the same problem, my bananas are allways eaten before I get a chance to bake with them! What a lovely banana cake, I can smell it from here!

28. Maria 28

What a great blog! And this banana cake looks super good. I have lots of banana recipes but I am always looking for more. I can’t wait to try it out!

Gahh. Gahh. Gahh. *drool*

30. Deborah 30

Oooh, I have a bunch of bananas waiting to be made into something, and this looks perfect!!

31. Chou 31

That’s just cruel. Really. Why don’t I have any bananas in my house???

32. misty 32

oh my gosh. this looks and sounds amazing…

33. Deb 33

Awesome, as usual! Your photos are so good that you just want to reach out and take a bite!
    Hope all is well your way (and the winery’s way:)

My stomach is growling. That looks like one my granddaughter and I will have to make this weekend.

I’m so glad you tried the cake and you liked it. This has to be the most moist banana cake I’ve ever made. I love the chocolate chips and nuts, The cake looks wonderful!!

36. I gained a pound just reading this and looking at the great photography. I think I licked the monitor. Don’t tell anyone.

My boss absolutely loves banana flavored cakes….hmmm…maybe it’s time to ask for a raise! (wonder if I have to give him the whole cake or can I take half for myself???? :)

38. uh – YUM! Can I have a bite? Heck, why not the whole cake?!

39. Just say no…just say no…just say no! Looks great!!!

40. This looks great and I love banana desserts.

*sigh* I get heartburn from bananas and a sore mouth from walnuts. Desserts like this I have to tread lightly around. (In other words, I can’t bake this for myself and eat the whole thing, so will you save me one piece?)

This looks like a little bit of heaven. I love the banana cake but that frosting is calling my name and adding chocolate chips on top – fantastic!

42. Reads yummy, might just have to give it a go next time I have some ripe bananas!

43. Ya’ll are killing me. Could you come over and make this for my birthday Sunday?

44. This looks yummy. Just remembered I ve got some frozen bananas. tippe I m making banana cake :))))))))

45. I kinda want to live with you.

46. Elle 46

I saw that, too. It looks fabulous!

Hoo, that’s gorgeous. Wish I liked bananas!

48. That looks like a great cake but I use all our spoiled bananas for my banana bread so I guess I have to pass.

49. tipper 49

Another delicious dish!

Words fail me. I now know what I’m making with those bananas in the freezer.
    I would like to personally thank you for the 20 lbs.

51. God Save The Bunny! She makes wonderful looking cakes! Love your spin. YUM

52. You’ve gone and done it again. I must make this one soon. You are killing me, woman!!!!!

53. krysta 53

that’s one good looking cake!

54. sassy 54

I am now totally regretting NOT buying the over ripe bananas at the store today, darn it!

And, thank you for the book Cathy, i have received it!

55. Aubrey 55

Oh. My. Yum.

I have some brown naners right now that I was going to make bread with. Now, I’m off to pick up a couple ingredients to make this instead!

56. Amber 56

Bananas are the only thing I will buy or use that is past its prime, otherwise you just lose too many nutrients, but bananas seem to have a second life. Perfect for that moment before the last bit of green skin disappears forever, then the patience comes in until they look like a freckled step-child, then they are perfect for sugar and baking. You rock with this cake.

57. Excuse me….just got back from Weight Watcher’s weigh in. That up there will NOT be happening anytime soon around here!

Hoping to be greeting you from your vineyard ~home~, soon.

58. Suzette 58

Good God Girl! Are you just TRYING to kill me? That looks and sounds amazing!

59. just overnight mail it puhleeze gawd. Must have or will die,….arghh aah…caannn’t breeeaaathhhe, it’sss getting dark,….oh it’s night.
    I still want some.

the moistitude (new word alert) of this cake amazing. and don’t get me started on the frosting. you have the ability to take some of the best texture shots ever, and i thank you for it. :)

yum yum gimmme some. on 2nd thought, better not. I just ate about 1/2 dozen cookies between last night and this morning.

62. Lore 62

I would definitely use the walnuts to top this beauty! Yummmmmmmmm 😀

OMG, my grandmother Mimi used to make banana cake when I growing up and this really reminds of that, only she always put a crystal like sugary thin frosting on it. I still remember that wonderful flavor. Mmmmm…

Damn you, woman. Never before have I lusted for browning bananas until today.

65. Lori 65

Mmm, looks and sounds so good!!

66. sharon 66

Isn’t it funny how the older you get the more crap you want to throw on your food? I hated dessert toppings as a kid too and now I pile it all on. This looks scrumptious!

67. I’m a little embarrased. I just moaned while reading through the recipe.

68. Did you see me hovering around the dessert table Cathy at the bash:D

69. Mmmm…the frosting especially drew me in on this one. We love banana cake in our house (even had it as our wedding cupcakes), so I know this would be a welcome treat around here!

70. I’m convinced my week would be much better if you could just come to my house and make this for me. haha.

71. i love banana cakes. even more than that, i love cream cheese frostings.

i’ve never heard of cream cheese/sour cream frosting though, and do i ever want to try it!

72. Jennifer from Texas 72

My banana cake is in the oven as I type. If the batter is any indication, it will be fabulous. I’m waiting to make the frosting for fear I will eat it all before the cake is even done. And I could totally do it, too. Don’t tempt me.

73. Jennifer from Texas 73

Ho-lee crap. That cake is to.die.for. I snuck a corner & slapped some frosting on it (cake’s not cool enough to frost yet. Not enough adjectives to describe the awesome yumminess. Or yummy awesomeness. Whichever – this cake is FINE. Thanks for posting it!

74. Shirley 74

I made this today. It’s great. I think I’d put mini-chocolate chips in the batter next time and just have the frosting without nuts or chocolate chips. That said, I haven’t tasted it cold yet. 😉 LOL

75. Patricia Simmons 75

yummy!

76. Tenara 76

I was searching for a frosting that used cc and sour cream to put on my banana/berry muffins and, poof, internet magic and a wonderful new recipe to try.
    Thanks!

77. International Civil Litigation and the interests of the public

78. Byrdie 78

Mr. Man was complaining about the “rotten” bananas sitting on the kitchen table. Let’s see if he’s complaining tonight!

79. Roz 1 79

I just finished making and devouring your banana cake recipe. It was unbelievably moist and delicious. The only thing that I did different was that I added chopped walnuts to the batter. We absolutely loved it. It was unbelievable!!!!!! Everyone must try this immediately!!!!!

80. Tonya 81

My family loved this recipe when I made it for them! I did add my own touch though, I folded whipped cream into the icing and it was sooo delicious 😉 thanks for the recipe

81. Leely 82

Hi there, can i change banana to carrot?

• Cathy 83

Hmm, never tried to it, not sure how that would work. I would just use a traditional carrot cake recipe if you want carrot?

• Leely 84

Hi Cathy,

I would love to have it. Thanks for sharing!! Do you think its a good combination with the sour cream-cheese cream frosting?

82. Leely 85

Hi Cathy,

May i know 3/4 cup sour cream equals to how may gram? I’ve search from internet yet i cant get the exact answer because the answers are varies. SOS

Thanks

Leely

83. Christina 87

Great frosting recipe! I made half the amount, and added dutch cocoa powder to make chocolate cream cheese-sour cream frosting! This was the perfect base recipe!

84. Melanie 89

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I had 3 really ripe bananas and all the other ingredients needed to make this cake so I made it. My son who stayed home from school because he had a bad tummy ache got his appetite back when he smelled this baking. We did not have cream cheese, so I didn’t make the frosting but me and my son still had to eat the slice and the cake by itself is addicting. Usually I don’t like the sides of cake because its dry but this cakes crust was so yummy. Moistest yummiest cake ever. I will have to get cream cheese so we can try it with frosting because that’s sounds great too. Thanks again and God bless:)