Blueberry Coffee Cake

If you say “coffee cake”, my ears perk up with a vengeance all their own.  Pathetic really, but coffee and cake are two of my favorite things.  So when you put those words together and call something “coffee cake”, I’ve got to have it.

If you add blueberries, it only makes my knees buckle.

When Cooking Light came out with this recipe I doubted how good it could be, even though Cooking Light rarely lets me down.   I thought, there is no way this was going to be “light” and “good”.  Boy, was I wrong.

The cake is fluffy-tasting, airy, sweet and with a turbinado sugar crust….WOW.  Now, this is breakfast I can get used to.

As blueberry season winds down, I really want to get in my last few blueberry-baking-indulgences.  Blueberry Coffee Cake is a great way to continue the madness, for a few more weeks anyway.

Using buttermilk in this recipe helps keep the fat content down, that’s good right?

So what are you waiting for, let’s make it…you know you need something special for Sunday morning brunch!

Here’s what you need: All-purpose flour, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, butter, blueberries, baking soda, baking powder, eggs, salt and turbinado sugar.

In a medium bowl combine 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl add 6 Tablespoons butter (softened) and 3/4 cup granulated sugar, beat with a mixer for about two minutes.  Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 egg, 1 egg white and mix well.  Add flour mixture and 1-1/3 cups buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture.  Begin and end with the flour mixture; mix after each addition.

Spoon half the batter into a 9-inch round baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of blueberries

Spoon remaining batter over the blueberries, sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup of blueberries.  Sprinkle the top with approximately 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar.  Cooking Light suggested 1 Tablespoon but you really want to completely cover the top because it melts and bakes into the perfect crust.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack.  Run a knife around the edges and flip over onto a plate.  See recipe for further instructions here.

Here is the back edge of the coffee cake.  See how the turbinado sugar made itself into a hard crust.  Insert drool here.

Enjoy this, it really tastes sinful.

Blueberry Coffee Cake

1 large egg
1 large egg white
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
Cooking Spray
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl add butter and granulated sugar, beat with a mixer for about two minutes.  Add vanilla, egg and egg white; mix well.  Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition.

Spoon half the batter into a 9-inch round baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup blueberries.  Spoon remaining batter over the blueberries; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 cup blueberries.  (Do not add extra blueberries.)  Sprinkle the top evenly with 2 Tablespoons turbinado sugar.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan by running a knife around the edges and flipping the cake onto a plate.  The bottom of the cake now becomes the top, do not flip it back over.

Since the cake has a lot of fruit, a lot of moisture is present.    This can lead to some of the fruit getting left behind in the pan.  Don’t worry about it.  Scrape any fruit or cake left in the pan into a bowl and have it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream later.  Don’t throw it away!

Enjoy!

1. Taking bite out of screen, not”>http://speaklolspeak.com/page/Not+so+grate+akshully?t=anon”>not so grate akshully.

Mmmm, what a delectable looking use of blueberries! NOM

2. I love the suggestion about adding a scoop of ice cream….who’s up for ice cream for breakfast!

I actually wrote Miss Pickles as a book two years ago. What you’ve seen on the blog is a new version. I just plopped down one day and started writing it. The only reason I never pushed publishing it was because I believed it didn’t have an audience and would be suited to a short-story format, not a typical 150-page middle grade book. Now I’m not so sure….I’ll have to ponder it.

I absolutely love baking with fruit,and this coffee cake is a good example why. It looks wonderful, so moist and soft and the blueberries…..oh the blueberries!!

drool…. can I come live with you :) I want to be shipped all over to everyone as they cook these marvalous items LOL… I offer up my services every chance I get but … so far I am just stuck here in Georgia LOL

5. I just love the shot of you sprinkling the sugar on top! What can I say, it’s so easy to make me happy!

6. I’ll be by with a box of joe soon!

YUMMY! I am reading this just before breakfast, and I want some….NOW!

8. If you love this… google Alabama Blueberry Bread. It is a recipe put out by Penzey Spices. It’s incredible!!!!!!
    I make this so often it’s like a staple in our neighborhood. I’ve made it into a cake, muffins and mini muffins.

9. Good Saturday morning to you, Cathy.

Yummmm, oh my. Serious yummmm. That looks incredible. My mouth is watering just from the pictures. Sounds easy to make, and I can’t wait to do so. Tomorrow ? Oh yeah, I can do that tomorrow for breakfast :)

10. Darn… I’m just missing the buttermilk. This looks like a perfect Sunday morning treat!!

11. So, I’m sitting here, drinking my coffee and I decide to look at some blogs- I pull your’s up and instantly wish I had whatever that picture is. Then, when I read what it was, I really really wish I had some of it. sigh.

12. I love blueberries. I think you did this one just for me. In any case I printed it out.

13. Suzette 13

I’ve been a blueberry freak ever since a camping trip through Maine at the peak of the season. This hits me right where I live. Of course, I’ll have to file it away until a few more of these pounds come of, but…there WILL come a day!

Thanks for sharing!

14. Dee 14

I’m just back from a family dinner where obviously I ate too much. (They made me!) So what do I do, but go food blog hopping the minute the kid’s in bed! Want cake now. Groan.

15. I only wish I was enjoying some now with my coffee. It looks amazing, Cathy!

16. katie 16

No way can that be a light recipe! It looks delicious, and very very cakey. I want cake, like right now, for breakfast.

17. Rayrena 17

Hee hee, I used that the buttermilk rationale last night to justify making scones! A lower fat coffee cake? My arm is bent behind my back and I’m screaming “uncle”…

18. Okay. I have a TON of blueberries in my freezer we picked just last month. We’ve made blueberry muffins, but this cake…so making it for breakfast tomorrow. My husband is going to love this!

19. Daziano 19

It even looks sinful!!! Brilliant!

oh yeah! Fry that baby up. I love this Cathy! Awesome.

21. I wish I could live at your house.

22. ELRA 22

JUst got up and saw your coffee cake, hmmm I wish I have a slice now.

23. Kevin 23

That looks great! So moist and tender and full of blueberyy goodness! Another reason why I like bluberry season so much.

24. Marcy 24

OMG that looks delish Cathy! I may have to try that one soon! I’m with you on the blueberry thing! LOVE ‘EM

25. tipper 25

Coffee and Cake 2 of my favs too! Looks great.

I don’t even drink coffee – my vice is tea – but I too adore coffee cake. Sometimes I make baking powder cakes, like this one, sometimes they’re yeast raised, but this one with blueberries looks superb. Dammit, now I need some for breakfast tomorrow!

27. Claudia 27

Oh god woman, coffee cake is my downfall as well! Besides wine and David of course…this looks delicious! I may have to steal this recipe and make it for my kids on the first day of school!!!

28. Holy Cannoli! That looks seriously good! It certainly gives my blueberry crumble bars a run for their money!

29. I want this. I want it NOW.

But I have no blueberries. And I have no turbinado sugar. I have no groceries, come to think of it.

Can this be made with butter, Tabasco, and Miller Lite?

Shit.

30. rachel 30

Oh my holy hell. This sounds delightful!! I stumbled it. Cathy, you are mahvelous 😉

This is so up my alley; thanks for sharing. That turbinado crust looks especially yummy.

32. KJ 32

Ooh, that looks good. I’m always up for coffee cake.

I thoroughly love CL recipes – and will be making more of them myself as Grumpy and I decided to start being more careful with our calorie intake!

35. Cassie 35

*swoon* Blueberry coffee cake is my favorite!

Beautifully photographed and a wonderful-sounding recipe.

37. How do you stay so slim? I gain weigh just reading your blog!!!

38. Have you ever thought of applying for the Vice Presidential spot? I would vote for You! : – ))

good lord in heaven–there’s no cinnamon in your coffee cake! it has everything else it needs to be phenomenal, but i couldn’t be satisfied without my cinnamon. (and my brother says i’m rigid…) :)

40. coco 40

This looks absolutely delightful. Each photo only makes me want to grab a slice.

41. Lo! 41

Oh, YUM.
    You have me kicking myself for not finding this post before I made breakfast this morning!

42. Cass 42

I LOVED this recipe and then I adapted it with Whole Wheat Flour and I loved it even more – it was a little denser and a lot less guilt.

43. I keep noticing that King Arthur flour in your photoshoots – do you keep an unopened package around just to put in the pictures?

Cooking Light never lets me down. It would be my “desert island” recipe source if I could only have one.

This looks amazing and will be great for Christmas morning, when the kids are home.

45. Kristen 45

I made that same coffee cake a couple of months ago and I adored it. The turbino sugar really made it fantastic!

46. Leslie 46

Oh I dream for the day when I am not grounded and I can back again! These are right up my alley!

47. Maureen 47

Oh, groan, I remember seeing this in Cooking Light and was hoping it was terrible – but, you’ve confirmed that it is indeed as good as it looks. Want.to.make.now!

48. Mmmm….blueberries. I love blueberries in anything – but have been seeing that a lot of people don’t actually like them. Weird.

49. sassy 50

This is on my schedule for next week, it looks scrumptious!

50. That looks delicious. I love coffee cakes too. This would work with any kind of fruit, even canned peaches and I’m tempted to added some finely chopped nuts, I love nuts.

51. this looks unbelievably moist and delicious. will definitely try this recipe soon.

52. Deeba 53

Just reading about blueberries makes my knees buckle…that’s one pretty coffee cake Cathy!!! Drooliciously good!!

53. Lori 54

Mmmm, love all those fresh blueberries!

54. My knees buckle too at the sight of your lovely blueberry cake… it looks so moist and fluffy 😀

55. Oh Dear God–I need this!! Will make it soon while blueberries are still around!!

56. Dragon 57

I’ll make you a deal. I’ll come visit with some eclairs if you make this for me. Deal?

57. Emily 58

Tried this beautiful wonder the day your post came out…made my husband giddy with anticipation!! Even better was when it came out of the pan and we got to eat it…ohmyholywordholycow!! The buttermilk made and it taste almost cheesecak-ish in a way and it was so moist and delicious! AND I used frozen local blueberries that I’d just thrown in my freezer recently and it turned out PERFECT!! Thank you…a new staple (eek!) in our house :0)
    Emily

58. Lore 59

Oh my, this blueberry cake took my breath away. I will need quite a few slices to recover my speech again 😉

I’d never really made anything with fresh blueberries from the farmers market until this past weekend. OH MAN, what a difference. Though my blueberry lady is already gone for the season, I can’t wait for next year so I can make this!

60. Y 61

yum, yum and yum again! I love coffee+cake too. There’s always something very promising about the combination of both words.

61. Elle 62

I can’t get over how moist it looks! I am going to haver to make this–it’s gorgeous!

Cathy these look so great. I am going away to the coast with my sister and I think I will be making these while there. Yum.

63. Deborah 64

I’ve learned to always trust Cooking LIght – and recipes like this are why!

64. I have blueberries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65. Thanks for great blog