Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

Can I just tell you how addicted I am to these muffins.  They are so unbelievably good I have to hide them from myself.  I’m not kidding.  That doesn’t really work but the problem is I cannot be left alone with these things.

Ready for their name?  Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.  No further explanation necessary.  The chocolate and the subtle peanut butter flavor is over the top.  If Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups were a childhood favorite, you’ve got to try these.

I came across this recipe on the Cooking Light Bulletin Boards a while back and have made them a bazillion times since.  I’m hopelessly addicted.  I warn you…if you make these, you will be too.

So let’s make them, otherwise I’m subject to withdrawals.  And that’s not pretty.

Here’s the ingredients you will need to begin your downward spiral to a hopeless. addictive behavior that you will not be able to control…you’ll see.  Flour, sugar, golden brown sugar, canola oil, peanut butter, vanilla, cinnamon, milk, salt, baking powder, one egg, chocolate chips and banana.

Who would have ever known that these items could be whipped into something this good.  I didn’t, but I do now.

Here is my giant container of white, all-purpose flour…ummm, yeah, I use a lot of white flour….don’t judge me.

Into a large bowl, add 2-1/2 cups of white, all-purpose flour.  Sift…sift…sift…

When I was a kid I thought C&H stood for Cathy’s House which somehow made me feel important in a very stupid way.  Like the sugar was ALL MINE….hmmmm I still sort of feel that way.

Add 1/2 cup sugar to the flour.

Mmmmm more C&H…more memories.

A 1/2 cup of packed golden brown sugar is enough to add to the sugary goodness.  I know that sounds lame.

This Clabber Girl on the label is very Shirley Temple-ish, don’t you think?

1 Tablespoon of baking powder gets added to bowl.

Here’s Morty’s Girl again, the yellow dress is growing on me.

3/4 teaspoon salt

Grab the very large and daunting tub-o-cinnamon.  Not sure what I was thinking with size container.

Add 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix and stir all ingredients until well combined.  Try not to make a mess, like I did.

Now for the bananas, this is where you get to take your aggressions out.

Just get your fork out and let them have it.  This is for everything that went wrong all week or all year.  2-3 ripe, large bananas are needed to make 1-1/4 cups of mashed banana.

Add the mashed banana to a new bowl.

Appetizing isn’t it?

To the banana add 1 cup of milk.  Use any kind you want.  I used 1%.

Is that Skippy on the label?  Didn’t the Skippy boy used to wear a sailor outfit?  This must be the updated version.  I think they need a new marketing department.

3/4 cup of smooth peanut butter gets added to the milk-banana mixture.

Canola Oil is used in this recipe making it just that much more guilt free, that’s why you’ll eat three of these muffins right out of the oven.  You will.

3 Tablespoons of canola oil is it.  That’s nothing!!

Sing this part…”One is the loneliest number”…remember that song?  Well, this egg does…use one lonely egg.

Then add 1 teaspoon vanilla.  I know it looks like a bowl of schlop…but it’s good schlop.

Now mix all the wet ingredients together and incorporate them into the dry ingredients.  This is getting good.

Now for my favorite ingredient…first, eat a handful of these chips like I did…

Then spell out words with your chips so that your kids think you’ve gone completely loony…

Now add 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter…or more if your crazy (like me).

Go ahead and spray your muffin tin with cooking spray and fill with the batter.  I fill my tins full.  I don’t believe in wimpy muffins.  This recipe warrants full muffin cups.

Now preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake for 25 minutes.

See how giant these muffins are when they are done?  They’re perfect.  This recipe works well when doubled.  By filling the tins pretty full this recipe makes about 12 muffins, so of course I’m always doubling…12 is not enough.

Look at how beautiful these are.  I’m telling you they are to die for.  The peanut butter, banana, chocolate combo is just, well, something I crave.  All. The. Time.

Go ahead, try them, and let me know what you think.

Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 cup milk
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, sift together (make sure to sift), flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and the cinnamon; combine.

In another mixing vessel combine mashed bananas, milk, peanut butter, egg, oil, and vanilla; mix well.  Add this to the dry mixture previously prepared; mix just enough to combine.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Spray muffin tins with cooking spray, if you are using liners, spray those too, and fill tins 3/4 full.  This will make 18 nicely sized muffins.  You can double the recipe if you need more.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

You are going to love these.

53 Comments and 4 Replies

1. Just like I never read your wine posts before noon, I am never reading one of your yummy posts before breakfast ever, ever again. In fact, I’m just gonna save all of your posts from here on out for after I’m in bed with my teeth brushed. Just saying.

2. First that unreal ham and now these muffins? Are you trying to kill me?! I am so making these this weekend when my daughter gets back from her class trip. They sound like the perfect weekend breakfast treat.

3. ‘Splain to me how these were on Cooking Light??? I’m making these things today!

4. fantastic. just fantastic. what’s stopping me from putting a little chocolate ganache on top? absolutely nothing.

5. So were they posted on the Cooking Light bulletin board by some crazy Diet Crashing Terrorist?? I didn’t know they existed but that seems like the only logical conclusion. I whipped up some muffins similiar to this that were floating around the blogosphere a while back but they actually used Reese’s mini butter cups. Maybe this is the lighter (liter?) version of that??

Those sound simply wonderful & look even better. The ham was wonderful & that sauce was amazing. Thanks!

7. Deb 7

Chocolate, bananas and peanut butter! A party in your mouth!!!!!!!!

8. Kevin 8

Chocolate and peanut butter in a banana muffin!?! That sounds so good! Bookmarked to try.

9. I can’t be alone with chocolate chips, bananas or jars of peanut butter; not to mention all of the M&M’s, Reese’s, and solid chocolate Easter bunnies sitting in my kitchen right now.

As soon as I come out of my current sugar coma, and subsequent sugar hangover, I’ll definitely be making these. They use canola oil and bananas, which means they’re health food in my book.

10. Congratulations!!! You have been nominated for a 2007 Best Of Blog Award!! Especially designed to bring attention to lower profile bloggers, The BoB’s as we like to call them are currently taking nominations in over 20 different categories. To find out more about how your site has a chance to become one of this year’s Best Of’s and how to nominate other bloggers, visit us at http://www.thebestofblogs.com. Remember voting begins April 14th so make sure you pass the word to your friends, family, and faithful followers.

Sincerely,
    Bill Beck
    Project Mgr.
    The Best Of Blog Awards
    Email:[email protected]

11. Cara 11

As far as torture goes, this is worse than water boarding. just kidding.

These sound delicious! I am now craving peanut butter and banana in any form…like NEED to have it NOW!

13. No you di’ent! Yum!

14. Geri 14

This morning as I was “surfing for muffins” lol well I found YOU. What a great blog site. I know I’ll return many times. I have a question are you picky with vanilla? What REAL vanilla do you buy, the brand? With the cost of everything these days I can’t always buy the BEST..so I was wondering if you would tell me about the bottle of vanilla I saw in your photo. I believe it was “Kirkland”. Is that a store brand or ? So many things I want to say but it would cause your eyes to strain. I love cooking and enjoy sharing like you. Thanks so much for making my morning so COOL. Continued success with your wonderful blog site and especially your cooking. Stay happy and healthy as you let take another bite of your muffins!
    Until next time…Geri

15. I can’t believe I never commented on this post. They’re amazing folks. Simply amazing. Two batches down and I’m getting requests from friends of my kids. “You’re going to make them every week, right?”

16. Yep. This is gonna be one of those make me right now! recipes. I can already tell. And when I can’t fit into my fat jeans anymore I’ll say, “But they were Cooking Light!”

17. ablahblah 17

I am very VERY veRRRRRRRY disapointed in these muffins..they were terrible, i just made them and their so thick and so gross…..not a good muffin… i can promise you…. i WILL NEVER MAKE THIS MUFFIN AGAIN

18. TSannie 18

My friend, Lauren (aka Mental Pause Mama) made a mini loaf of your INCREDIBLE muffin recipe and brought it to me last night. Fortunately I got ONE slice of it. Unfortunately that was all as my kids then discovered it and it was totally gone in a matter of seconds.
    Delicious!

19. Julena Jo 19

I love your blog! Thank you!

20. Elle 20

Oooooh…I just bought stuff to make double chocolate banana muffins, but maybe I’ll do these instead! They look so good!

21. Jana 21

Well, you were right. I ate 3 out of the oven. And then I calculated the calories per muffin… 336, by the way. Oi, needless to say there was an hour and a half of running/yoga in the schedule after that. I brought the rest to my best friend. She had 4 within the half hour, she’s one of those “speedy metabolism” gals. Did I say she was my best friend? I meant to say I loathe her. Anyways, thought I’d express my love for the recipe! It’s definitely one for the recipe box.

22. Whoa. Those are gorgeous. And inspiring. I’m totally snagging this recipe.

23. Angelsea3 23

Kirkland brand is the store brand from Costco. Most everything that I have tried of Costco’s store brand is pretty good, including their vanilla extract.

24. mary 24

Just made these today…they were outstanding! Thank you for the recipe!!

25. nom nom nom nom nom!
    i made these in mini for my niece’s first birthday party on sunday and they were soooo good! luckily i nibble a few right out of the pan because they disappeared ridiculously fast.

great recipe, totally easy and quick!!

26. elle 26

Cathy, you’re right–these are amazing! Just made them this morning and they’ve passed the kid test, too.

Would you mind if I blog about them linking back to you?

27. Linda 27

WOW! So my friend made choc chip peanut butter cookies, and I had some overripe bananas in the kitchen, and thought hmmmm I wonder if anyone’s tried choc chip pb banana muffins!

Found your page after googling it, and just made these delicious muffins for a whole shift of firefighters (my husband being one of them).

They were a HUGE HIT! The one change I made was drizzling some extra melted chocolate on the top.

Love the recipe – thank you!!

28. Sadie 28

Help! They didn’t rise and get that nice full cap on top…and they’re heavy and doughy. What did I do wrong??

29. You had me at the peanut butter and chocolate chips, but this recipe would be another terrific way to use my “baking” bananas! :-)

Thanks, Cathy!

Shirley

30. Kim 30

Just wanted to say that these are FABULOUS!!! Although my personal taste wants more peanut butter and less banana, so I may have to experiment a little. Thanks for the wonderful recipe, I will be making these often!

31. Chris 31

Yum! I’ve never made anything but goodness from your site, and this is no exception. These are being gobbled up at an astonishing rate. Thanks for the great recipes!

32. Jill 32

just stumbled onto your blog and made these yummy things. of course, i made my own modifications as with the goodies i had on hand. i cut the recipe in half, except for the vanilla, choco chips & egg. then swapped in: a half & half mix of white flour and wheat flour, cashew butter in place of peanut butter & almond milk in place of regular milk & upped the cinnamon to a heaping half tsp. they were just what i needed-even the smell coming from the oven-so good! thanks for sharing!

33. Laura L. 33

I made these last night. They were unreal! Just had one for breakfast. Also, just realized I used baking SODA instead of baking POWDER. Ooops!!! No harm, no foul. They’re still incredibly good!

34. petra 34

35. Nancy 35

I love these! I discovered them a few months back and make them all the time. They are great for breakfast. I modify it a bit and add peanut butter chips to them. yummy!

36. Very nice! I am really enjoying frozen banana bread this week. Usually I give away all the extras but this time it is going from freezer to toaster. Mmmmm…

37. Emily 37

Cathy-These look amazing & I will have to make them… one q. about sifting: WHY?? Is it really important? TY!:)

38. Noble Pig 38

Sifting, when baking from scratch accomplishes three things…helps to combine ingredients, it aerates the dry ingredients and removes any lumps.

Sifting decompresses the flour by working air into it, which makes the ingredients much easier to work into the batter.  This results in LESS stirring, which means you will not overmix and as a result, less gluten production.  This is especially important when MAKING MUFFINS.

Even if sifting is not indicated in a recipe, it’s always good policy to do so.  I always have people write to me and say something didn’t turn out as moist as yours….most of the time it’s because they didn’t sift.

So always, always sift, it’s worth the little effort it requires.

39. Jamison 39

These were amazing…I made two batches and set 15 muffins out for 5 people to eat at a dinner party–they were GONE before I could blink!
    yum and YUM.

PS–thank you for the note on why sifting is important–all of my other muffins have been turning out tough and small, I think this is the cause.

40. sheena 40

all i can say is wow. i was looking for a recipe that i could make with the items i had in my house and ran upon this. making for a bake sale at work. hope everyone likes them as much as i did. made in mini muffin pan. what a great little snack. will be adding this recipe to my box. thanks sooooo much!

41. Ashley 41

My god! I make these all the time now and they’re the greatest muffins ever!!!!! I work at a Police station and often bake these for the troops. Sometimes that’s all they eat all day and they love ’em! Thx for the recipe!

42. mariana 42

Beautiful and amazing this muffins.
    Thanks for sharing…

Kisses and blessings!!

43. Lesley 43

Just made these for the kiddos, but had to try them and make sure they were okay for consumption first. YUM!!! I made them into mini muffins and my kids are inhaling them as I type this. Thanks for the great recipe!!!

44. Allison 44

These are de-freakin’-licious! I can’t wait to make them again and again and again. Bravo, Noble Pig!

45. Made these today. They are absolutely to die for. Thanks for sharing!

46. Nika 46

Good god. These are absolutely to die for, i made almost the whole batch sans chocolate chips just to see how they would taste without and made 4 with, and they’re both equally amazing. They’re incredibly moist and i just don’t know what else to say, they’ve got me speechless. They are ridiculously good.

47. LCA - Germany 47

Hi, I just tried these today and they are absolutely gorgeous! Chewy from the peanut butter (I used chunky ’cause I couldn’t find creamy), moist from the banana, and then some wonderful surprise bites into chocolate chips! Thanks so much for sharing this. I have now introduced you to many of my friends! By the way, I also adore your Best Banana Muffins (the first ones I tried)… now, to find some more gems in your blog!

48. Ashley 48

I have to say, these are the greatest muffins ever in the history of all things. I make them all the time! I’ve never made another kind of muffin since. I make them for work (where I feed troops of police officers) and now they are always bugging me to make them! Thanks so much! :)

49. Kim 50

I love these and make them all the time, but I always end up adding extra milk to make the mix easier to pour into the muffin cups. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? They always turn out great though!

50. Melanna 52

So nearly 5 years ago I was put on bed rest with my oldest because my water broke too early. For 2 weeks I had to sit/lay around and do nothing. For some reason, my pregnant brain mixed the taste of my favourite flavours (banana, Peanut Butter and Chocolate) together and made me crave them in muffin form. So I started googling to see if such a muffin recipe already existed and came across this recipe. I was not allowed to stand. So I had my husband (who is no baker) pull out all the ingredients and pre-measure them for me. Then I sat on a chair and made them, slightly reclined in the middle of my kitchen (it was a sight, let me tell you). And they were perfect! Everything I had been craving and more. I ate the entire batch myself. Hoarded it, really. I can’t count the number of times I have made this recipe. And tonight I was craving them again. So at 10pm I’m going to make muffins! Ha! But I figured after all this time I really should send you some comment love. Thanks for the recipe!

• Cathy 53

I think this is my favorite story ever!! So glad they worked, there really is something about them that makes them so, so good. Enjoy them tonight!!

51. stephanie 54

Oh my! Can these be frozen??? They look so good but I am solo for about a month. I would like to make a batch and not eat them all at once!! Thanks in advance.

52. Kathy c 56

Could someone please tell me what ham recipe people are talking about. Thank you Kathy

53. Gordana 57

It’s mothers day and I want to make these for my mom. The only problem is is that we don’t have any bananas, she is still sleeping and I’m not allowed to use the stove. (Without permission) but if I was allowed to use the stove right now I would just not include the bananas. But when she wakes up I will sure try!