Pumpkin Chili is extra delicious because pumpkin combined with savory spices is a flavor match made in heaven! The sweetness of the pumpkin provides the perfect balance of tasty flavor to this hearty chili recipe.
Using canned pumpkin in savory, not just sweet recipes is one of the best ways to enjoy this healthy ingredient. I love using pumpkin puree to make pumpkin and parmesan soup, this very special pumpkin biscuits recipe and pumpkin black bean soup.
Pumpkin Chili Recipe
A favorite Halloween night tradition has always been making a big pot of chili. It’s the best stick-to-your-ribs meal before heading out for a night of trick-or-treating or staying in to watch a scary movie.
Serving pumpkin chili adds a seamlessly festive twist to any celebration you might be planning this fall season.
Pumpkin puree not only adds the perfect balance of sweetness to a spicy pot of chili, but it’s also levels up your chili in a very healthy way.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Chili
- olive oil – this is regular olive oil, not extra virgin
- white onion – you can substitute yellow onion if that’s what you have, but I prefer white in chili recipes
- garlic – use fresh garlic for this recipe
- chicken broth – makes sure it’s broth not stock
- crushed tomatoes – if you prefer some heat grab fire-roasted crushed tomatoes instead
- pumpkin puree – canned is awesome. If you happen to have fresh, homemade that works too
- black beans – make sure to drain and rinse the beans before adding to the chili
- chili powder – any brand or variety works based on what you like
- fajita seasoning – this is often found in the section of the market that has seasoning packets
- Tabasco – preferred flavor but you can use any hot sauce
- Better Than Bouillon – this is a brand of bouillon, it has a much better flavor than regular bouillon cubes or powder
- salt and pepper
- red bell pepper – you can easily substitute orange or yellow if that’s what you have on hand
- ground turkey – ground turkey keeps the calories down, but you can substitute any ground meat for this recipe
How To Make Pumpkin Chili
Step one: In a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, add oil and sauté onions and bell pepper until tender; about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant; about 30 seconds. Transfer onion mixture to your Dutch oven or large soup pot.
Step two: In the same skillet, brown your ground turkey until it is no longer pink. Drain any fat, especially if you’re using a higher fat ground meat.
Step three: Combine chicken broth, tomatoes, pumpkin puree, Tabasco, Better than Bouillon base, chili powder and fajita seasoning with the onion mixture in your Dutch oven. Add cooked turkey and black beans and bring to a simmer. Simmer together for 30 minutes to let the flavors come together.
Step four: Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step five: Garnish with any topping you choose.
Does This Chili Taste Like Pumpkin?
Pumpkin chili, especially this one does not have a noticeable taste of pumpkin. The sweetness of the pumpkin balances the savory nuances of the overall dish.
The pumpkin puree adds texture, but in a creamy smooth way. You can add pumpkin to any of your favorite chili recipes for the same effect.
Can I Make This Pumpkin Chili In the Slow Cooker?
You can, however it might be best to brown the meat and drain the fat before adding it to the slow cooker if you decide to use ground beef or ground pork.
If you use ground turkey (99% fat free) you can just toss it in with the other ingredients.
You’ll also want to omit the olive oil from the recipe.
Set your slow cooker for 3 hours on high or 5 hours on low to cook this chili. Make sure to stir it all together.
How To Store This Chili?
To store any leftover chili, let it cool down completely and place in an airtight container.
Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Can I Freeze This Chili?
You can either use a freezer safe container or bag (make sure to get any extra air out).
Store in the freezer for 4-6 months.
To reheat frozen chili, place in a medium to large sized pot and slowly reheat on medium to low heat until it comes to a simmer.
Other Chili Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili
- Slow Cooker Red Chili
- Italian Sausage Chili
- Smoky Beef Chili
- Coconut Chicken Chili
The Best Pumpkin Chili
Pumpkin Chili is extra delicious because pumpkin combined with savory spices is a flavor match made in heaven. The sweetness of the pumpkin provides the perfect balance of tasty flavor to this hearty chili recipe.
Using Better Than Bullion Base - this is a brand name and you don't have to use it. You can also use bullion powder or dissolved cubes, however, Better Than Bullion Base does have a much better flavor than regular chicken bullion.
The Best Pumpkin Chili
Amount Per Serving
Calories 432 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Vitamin A 185IU4%
Vitamin C 31mg38%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #NOBLEPIG on INSTAGRAM so we can see what you’ve made. FOLLOW Noble Pig ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER to keep up with all our latest recipes.