These Football Shaped Rice Krispies Treats are the perfect way to make your game day table a festive and delicious celebration.
We love football season! However, I have to admit I might be in it more for the food than the football. That’s okay, right? I have a feeling many of you feel the same way.
Although there are a lot of die-hard female football fans, I enjoy cooking for the game a little more than just sitting and watching it. I know I’m not in the minority on this one.
It’s important to have someone around on game day who wants to stir the chili on the stove and the queso in the slow cooker. I love pre-planning a whole menu that includes dips and jalapeno poppers, sliders and pulled pork sandwiches, and, of course, dessert.
I always put together a dessert bar buffet; in fact, it’s already set up before the guests arrive with all kinds of treats and goodies. It absolutely sets the party mood.
My dessert bar is carefully centered around a festive “game day” treat, and this year, it’s going to be these Football-Shaped Rice Krispies Treats.
They are so easy to make – Rice Krispies Treats always have been. By adding a couple simple decorating steps, you can make your dessert table stand out.
The football shapes are easily constructed with a football-shaped cookie cutter, while chocolate candy melts and white decorating gel give them their football look. Coconut flakes and green dye make the “football field,” and, in no time, these festive game day treats will be gracing your dessert table and delighting your guests.
Football Shaped Rice Krispies Treats
- cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 bag (10 oz) marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 8 oz chocolate candy melts
- 2 tubes (0.67 oz. each) white decorating gel
- 1 bag (14-oz.) sweetened coconut flakes
- 10 drops green food dye
- Prepare a large (13”x 17”) aluminum sheet pan by spraying with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over low heat on stove. Stir in marshmallows and continue to stir until marshmallows are melted and fully combined with the butter. Remove from heat and stir in Rice Krispies (mixture will become very sticky).
- Scoop out Rice Krispies mixture onto sheet pan. And here's a little trick: Run your hands under very cold water; then use them to press Rice Krispies mixture flat, making them about a ½” in height (you will not fill the whole sheet pan). Let cool.
- Cut out football-shaped treats with a football-shaped cookie cutter that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Melt candy melts in the microwave according to the directions on the bag. Frost treats with chocolate immediately with a small, offset spatula. When chocolate cools, create "football" white threading with decorator's gel: one long line first (lengthwise) and three small lines (crosswise) so that they overlap each other.
- Toss coconut in a large bowl with green dye. Place green coconut on the bottom of your serving tray to create the playing field. Arrange the Football Rice Krispies Treats on top of the "turf."
- Note: These treats can easily be made up to two days before game day and kept in a tightly closed container until serving time.
Other Football Inspired Desserts You Might Enjoy:
- Nutella Chocolate Football Truffles
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Footballs
- Football Whoopie Pies
- Football Puppy Chow
- One Year Ago: Pork Crunch Salad with Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing
- Two Years Ago: Valentine’s Pita Crunch
- Six Years Ago: Super Bowl Recipes
- Seven Years Ago: Italian Love Cake