This Mexican Chicken Soup with Avocado will have a delicious and satisfying dinner on the table in 15-minutes. Some nights we need all the help we can get. See this recipe made on video here.
Sure, it’s still officially summer, but with school back in full-swing, weeknight crazy-busyness is here. Gone are the lazy afternoons where we had dinner at leisure. Now there’s homework, football games, all those darn forms to fill out and all kinds of running around.
This means we all need a filling and hearty dinner the whole family will love. And the bonus is…it’s ready in minutes, assuming you have some leftover chicken around. (Pro tip: always buy/make a second rotisserie chicken. I roast two chickens at a time in my electric roaster. They come out perfect every time and I have lots of chicken to make all kinds of dishes all week long.)
What rounds out this quick and easy meal perfectly are the California avocados sitting right on top. Chock full of heart healthy fats and vitamins, the avocado gives this dish the mouthfeel it needs and makes it feel like a well-rounded meal. And let’s not forget how appetizing it makes a bowl of this soup look. It’s quite the looker!
The fresh lime juice is always a must in a soup like this. It just really brightens the whole dish. Make sure to add enough to really get the benefit. I realize limes can be fussy and sometimes really dry. Squeezing them by hand doesn’t really help. This is what I use to extract the juice from all my limes/lemons. If there is juice in there, this tool gets it all out. It’s truly amazing and is something I give at every wedding shower/housewarming etc. It’s truly my most favorite kitchen gadget.
Lime juice will also help keep your avocado bright green too.
Don’t forget to serve this soup with some crunchy tortilla chips on the side and it wouldn’t hurt to have my favorite guacamole on the side.
Looking for more avocados recipes? There are some great ones here.
One Year Ago: 3 Fun Lunch Box Ideas with Cheese
Two Years Ago: Chunky Apple Snack Cake
Three Years Ago: Gluten Free Peach Crisp
Four Years Ago: Sweet Brown Rice-Vanilla-Raisin Snack
Seven Years Ago: The Reuben Dip
15-Minute Mexican Chicken Soup with Avocado
- 4 cups (32 oz) chicken stock or broth (I prefer stock)
- 1 jar (16 oz) picante type salsa
- 1 can (14 oz) red enchilada sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 3 cups cubed, cooked, leftover rotisserie chicken
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernals
- 1 can (14.5 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes,
- juice of one lime
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 2 avocados, cubed
- optional garnishes: green onion, sour cream and cilantro
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, add chicken stock, salsa and enchilada sauce and bring to a boil over med-low heat. Stir in butter, sugar, salt and pepper. Add chicken, black beans, frozen corn, tomatoes and lime and warm through (it's pretty much done immediately)
- Ladle soup into individual bowls, sprinkle with cheese and add copious amounts of California avocado.