The Best Mojito

The Best Mojito from Noble Pig 4
The mint growing in my garden is prolific. I'm really bad about getting out there and thinning it so it pretty much takes over. I don't mind though, I love sprinkling it over summer fruit and mixing it into iced tea and water in the summertime. As far as I'm concerned I could never really have enough mint, I find it's uses endless.

Between the prolific mint and a recent trip to Mexico, (where Mojito's were flowing) and a slight suggestion for a mojito party, when we returned to the states...the Best Mojito Recipe was born.

Up until now, I was a mojito drinker, not maker. I'm not sure why, but it's something I left to the bartender. So I did a lot of research and read a lot of comments about certain recipes. Mojito's are a finicky drink and can quickly go from refreshing to medicinal tasting, when the ingredients are not balanced. As a winemaker I'm always concerned with balance in wine, in food and cocktails. I found that specific ingredients make a difference for varying reasons. I hope you give my version a try.

The Best Mojito from Noble Pig 3
The sugar.

I tried three types of sugar, raw organic-large crystal sugar, regular granulated white sugar and ultrafine baker's sugar.

I did not like the raw, organic large crystal version. With every sip of the straw you get a big clump of sugar in your mouth and I didn't like that. Even with regular, granulated sugar, it did not dissolve quickly enough for me, leaving the whole drink partly unsweetened. The ultrafine baker's sugar is absolutely the way to go. It's available on the baking aisle in what looks like a milk carton. It dissolves well in cold liquids, making it perfect for this drink.

The muddle.

You will need a good muddler to make the proper mojito. I found that you can easily over-muddle the mojito,leaving it bitter from the lime rind. Seven muddles or turns was the perfect amount of twists to release all the necessary flavors of the lime and mint.

The Best Mojito from Noble Pig 1
The alcohol.

Bacardi Superior rum is classic for a mojito. You don't want to use a gold or light-colored rum. Bacardi Superior is clean and crystal clear, making it the perfect choice. To add my own little citrus twist I splashed a half-ounce of Cointreau. I felt this clean-orange flavored liquor elevated the drink's taste and gave it a really nice finish. Give it a try.

For testing purposes and curiosity I even made a Mexican mojito, changing out the Bacardi for a really good silver tequila. Oh man...I couldn't drink it. I don't think this works at all, stick with rum.

The Best Mojito from Noble Pig 2
The mineral water.

Tiny, refined bubbles is what you want to use, otherwise your drink will be taken over with carbonation. San Pellegrino sparkling mineral water is the solution. It creates the perfect balance and finishes off the drink nicely.

The glasses.

If you live anywhere rural like me, proper mojito glasses are not at your fingertips. It was already too late in the game to have some shipped from a fancy store. Also, I wanted 12 oz glasses since this was the size glass I had been doing my recipe testing with. I needed a large amount of mojito glasses and the perfect solution was to use tall, (12 oz) jelly mason jars. They are perfect for a large party and you can't beat the cost for a box of twelve.

The Best Mojito from Noble Pig
The ice.

Don't use large pieces of freezer ice, unless you have one of those awesome ice makers. Invest in a bag of decent ice from the store. It's worth it when it comes to making the best mojito you possibly can.

After extensive recipe testing THIS is The Best Mojito

Print Recipe

The Best Mojito

Recipe from: Created by Cathy Pollak for NoblePig.com | Serves: 1

Ingredients

• 8 leaves fresh mint
  • 3 slices of lime, halved, divided
  • 1-1/2 Tablespoons ultrafine baker's sugar (on the baking aisle in a carton)
  • 1.75 ounces Bacardi Superior rum
  • 0.5 ounces Cointreau
  • chipped ice
  • San Pellegrino sparkling mineral water
  • lime and mint for garnish

Directions

• In a tall, 12 oz glass, add mint leaves, 2 slices of lime (that have been halved) and sugar. Using a muddling tool, muddle ingredients in the bottom of the glass for seven turns to release the flavor and juices. Do not over muddle. Add one more slice of lime (halved) and fill the glass to the top with chipped ice.
  • Pour Bacardi and Cointreau over ice and fill to the top with San Pellegrino. Serve with a regular sized straw, using it to release more of the mint flavor and dissolve the sugar on the bottom of the glass.

22 Comments and 7 Replies

1. This is Thomas’ favorite drink!! I can’t wait to make these for him!

2. oh my gawd! it’s not even 9am and I want a cocktail now!!! Delicious!

3. Wendi 3

I use agave for the sweetener, yum!

4. mojito is my favorite cocktail EVER..could definitely kick back with one right about now. this looks divine!

5. This looks amazing and refreshing! Definitely need to try it! I bet the taste testing was fun ;)

6. These are so classy! Thanks for this recipe, I love to order them out, but have never made them at home, so fun!

7. This sounds so, so yummy!! I can definitely see why it’s the best!

8. Katie 10

Ummm you are speaking my language! Our mint is just about done for the summer. We make mojitos often during the summer months. So refreshing!

9. Totally making these soon!

10. Pingback: Friday Inspiration | brooklyn-portland.com

11. Lori E 13

Lucky for me my husband does not like mint…. more for me.

12. kathy 14

mojitos are my favorite! so refreshing! I use a simple syrup for the sugar part :)

13. Mel 16

Mojitos…. Nothing beats a fresh stick of sugar cane for a muddling stick and garnish in the glass, as you muddle the lime or mint as you drink for extra flavour I can add more sweetness with the sugar cane as I go and it’s just devine. a true mojito!

14. chizinks 17

Bicardi is way too antiseptic tasting.

Try with DonQ light rum and you’ll never go back….

The kind of mint makes a huge diff as well. Spearamint is best but you can make do with pineapple mint if you double the amount leaves since its much lighter mint flavor.

• Cathy 18

Spearmint was one of the ways I tested this recipe and did not like it all for this combination, plus the Bacardi was spot on.

15. Deb Evans 19

Yes! This IS the best mojito I ever made or tasted….even using freezer ice cubes. Thanks!

16. Kirsten 20

I have a suggestion for undissolved sugar. Sugar syrup. Stir 2 parts sugar with 1 part water in small saucepan. Heat to boiling making sure all sugar is dissolved. Cool.

• Cathy 21

Good idea, however using the baker’s sugar in this recipe makes that extra step unnecessary.

17. cher 22

I experimented this year also. I love mojitos made with vodka and didn’t get enough mint flavor with muddling so used my Nutribullet! Totally awesome!!!! Had my neighbor begging for more!

18. Michele 23

What kind of mint did you use? This is quite an omission in your recipe.

19. John Kohout 25

I found a plant once, it was Monitor Mint. It had a very distinctive flavor, it died never found another

20. Mario G 26

Awesome recipe, one change I will make is to use “Don Q” white rum, it’s so much better than any product from Bacardi (the rum was a recommendation from a close Puerto Rican friend, she said it’s what the locals consume).

21. Irena 27

I just love this simple traditional mojito and the best it is prepared at home.

22. Pingback: Key Lime Caipirinhas | Noble Pig

23. Jodi Werhanowicz 29

We just got back from Cuba where the Mojito originated. There they poured dark rum (Havana Club of course) on top of the mixture of other ingredients. And lots of mint garnish. It was hands down the best Mojito I’ve ever had. We brought home 6 bottles of Havana Club (different ages and types). Last night my husband made one like yours (no Cointreau) with the light rum. I made one with dark rum floated on top like we had in Cuba. In a blind taste test with our sons & their wives, my recipe easily won. So that’s our new recipe. By the way, Hemingway liked champagne instead of sparkling water in his. Haven’t tried that but maybe soon. Your idea to use Cointreau sounds intriguing too.

24. Elena 30

This recipe is truly outstanding! Be sure to follow it to the letter; makes a great Mojito! We have made these for many parties and guest ALWAYS ask for seconds and thirds! The # of muddles is right on and the bakers sugar dissolves perfectly. Thanks for all of the research; this recipe is golden!!