Summer makes me want to grill everything, it makes dinner so simple to execute. Picking a protein is the biggest decision. Once that’s settled it’s easy street.
And I have been cheating a little. I have been using my new indoor grill, which I love. I mean I really love the thing. It’s so easy to use and sits right on my counter top. I can’t help but throw everything on there. My kids have been poking a little fun at my new grill obsession. I can’t help it.
One of my favorite grill uses has been for appetizers. We had some friends over the other evening and I made these chicken skewers with my crazy sauce for dipping. I love everyone sitting at my kitchen bar, while I grill away. So easy and fun and feels very interactive.
The chicken turned out great. I used tenderloins instead of breasts, they stay much juicier and are really easy to cut up into pieces.
Have no fear if you don’t own an indoor grill, you can easily make these on a grill pan made for the stove, or on a real outdoor grill.
Now for my crazy sauce. I’m assuming most of you know what Giardiniera is? It’s available in every grocery store (by the pickles). I absolutely love it and always have some in the fridge. I crave it’s tangy-mouth puckering taste and you can often find me taking a spoonful of this stuff from the jar.
Anyway, I throw some in my food processor (you could use a blender too) and chop it really fine or puree it. I use this in my crazy sauce and quite frankly is the reason I call my sauce crazy. Let’s face it, it’s a weird ingredient to puree up, but it gives a lot of flavor and pow.
You’ve never had it? It’s time you give it a try.
I cut the chicken into 1″ pieces, as uniform as was possible.
And here they are on my grill. I think they took a total of 7-8 minutes to cook completely.
You’re summer entertaining just got better.
Grilled Buttery Chicken Skewers with Crazy Sauce
- 1/4 cup (heaping) Giardiniera + juice (fill measuring cup and then add juice to it)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2-1/2 lbs chicken tenderloins, sliced lengthwise then into 1" pieces
- salt and pepper
- 12 wooden skewers
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Place Giardiniera (make sure to take a little bit of everything) in the bowl of a food processor and process until somewhat smooth (it will be little bits and pieces). Combine this with the rest of the sauce ingredients and let refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Preheat grill to 350-400 degrees F. My indoor grill is nonstick. However if you are using a pan or an outdoor grill you might want to oil or spray with nonstick spray. Thread chicken on wooden skewers (make sure to soak your skewers in water if you are using a grill with a flame). Generously salt and pepper chicken. Place on grill and baste with butter several times. Turn skewers on grill and make sure chicken is completely cooked before removing from grill. Serve with crazy sauce for dipping.