I know I keep saying it but I’m really enjoying all the summer cherries. It seems I can’t eat less than 50 in any one setting!! Hey, it’s fruit, it’s good for me right?
A while back I was gushing about making strawberry jam and pepper jelly with my new FreshTECH jam maker. And guys, I am not even kidding, I love-love this thing. It is so easy to use, to clean and to whip up fabulous jam…in essentially minutes! I love the fact I can make small batches with very minimal work and no heating up of the kitchen. It’s going to be great at holiday time with all the cranberry-orange jelly I plan on making.
The machine itself is sleek in appearance, but most importantly it’s really functional. With the load of cherries I had around last week, I just had to make some sweet cherry jam and pie. How could I not?! And I wouldn’t have done it had it not been so simple. This machine even impressed my mom, and we know how hard it is to impress our mom’s with a new kitchen gadget. She loved the idea of no stirring, as her hands no longer work like they used to.
Anyway, the family and I are enjoying our cherry jam on toast, with roast pork, on ice cream and drizzled over cheesecake. I hope you can make some too. I just received another 10 pounds of cherries yesterday…back to the drawing board!
Three Years Ago: Prosciutto-Wrapped Breadsticks
Four Years Ago: Why Don’t Cats Have Rules
Five Years Ago: Paranoia
Sweet Cherry Freezer Jam
- 2-2/3 cups pitted, chopped and crushed sweet cherries (about 2 lbs) (use a potato masher)
- 3 Tablespoons Ball "Real Fruit" Classic Pectin
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- Sprinkle pectin evenly over bottom of the Pot that is fitted with the stirrer. Add crushed cherries over pectin. Pour lemon juice on top of the cherries and add butter.
- Press jam button (default cooking time of 21 minutes will show) and press enter.
- In 4 minutes appliance will give a series of beeps telling you it is time to add the sugar. Add it gradually and place lid on top.
- Ingredients will be stirred while it cooks. Appliance will beep when ready. Press cancel and unplug.
- Remove stirrer and add jam to jars. Preserve jam immediately.