It’s New Year’s Eve and we need to enjoy ourselves. And why shouldn’t we do it with tots and bacon and a cheesy sauce?
These are truly little rolls of goodness and if we think hard enough, I’m sure we could come up with a reason why these would bring us good luck in the New Year.
Who would turn these down at a party anyway?
You must wrap and secure your bacon tightly or your rolls will kind of pop apart during the frying process. Not that it matters. They are still fantastic even if they are not rolled perfectly. Is your mouth watering yet?
Honestly these are really hard to resist, don’t even bother trying. Let’s face it, it’s too hard to say “no” to fried food. So just indulge and enjoy!
Jack cheese sauce is the perfect accompaniment. The creamy cheese cools any residual heat from the jalapeno slice. What could be better than this?!!
Bacon-Jalapeno Wrapped Tater Tots with Jack Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- vegetable oil
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 3-1/2" long pieces (you might have leftovers)
- 24 frozen tater tots, thawed
- 24 slices jalapeno, about three
- For the sauce, in a medium saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Add the salt, pepper and flour, whisking over heat for one minute. Add the milk slowly while whisking constantly to remove any lumps. Continue to cook until bubbly, add cheese until melted. Serve warm.
- For the wraps, heat oil over medium-high heat to 375 degrees F. Roll one piece of bacon around each tater tot and slice of jalapeno. Secure tightly with a toothpick.
- Fry each tater tot, about four at a time, until bacon is crisp, about 2 minutes. Serve with warm cheese sauce for dipping.
Four Years Ago: Lobster Bisque