You never know where you are going to find inspiration when it comes to cooking. However, these past few warm summer days, my muse has been a likely source…my herb garden. I have found myself outside, in the heat of the afternoon, just to smell the herbs made fragrant by the sunshine. The pineapple sage, the peppermint, the lemon thyme and oregano…all smell wonderful in the summer sunlight. And then there was the basil, it was just begging to be harvested and made into something…anything really.
I had a loaf of rosemary-olive oil bread, fresh mozzarella in the fridge and vine-ripened tomatoes on my counter. If you are lucky enough to have a warm, summer tomato picked right off your own vine, lucky you. Your sandwich will taste even better.
The rosemary-olive oil bread really gave a nice, complex flavor to the sandwich. However, you can use any crusty bread you choose. Just make sure it is sturdy.
I also sprinkled a touch of Fleur de sel on my tomatoes, just to perk them up.
I brushed the bread with olive oil before grilling and rubbed it with a garlic clove when it was warm….so delicious.
Pulling out a tray of these at any gathering will cause a great commotion, you have been warned.
Grilled Caprese Sandwich
- 1 (12 ounce) loaf rosemary and olive oil bread or other crusty bread, sliced
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 20 (approx) basil leaves
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into rounds
- balsamic vinegar
- Fleur de sel or kosher salt
- Preheat grill or grill pan until hot. Brush slices of bread with olive oil, both sides. Grill bread on one side until golden brown. Turn over and on half of the bread slices, stack the mozzarella and tomatoes, sprinkling the Fleur de sel on the tomatoes, let it warm until the cheese is slightly warmed. Remove from the grill and top tomatoes with several basil leaves. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and top with another slice of bread. Rub the top piece of the grilled bread with a clove of garlic. Sprinkle top of bread with a little more balsamic vinegar and top with another basil leave for garnish.
Three Years Ago: Best Grilled Chicken
I have never craved a sandwich more than right now…
Ha-ha, then you need to make it Kristine!
Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar says
This sounds awesome! I like caprese anything!
Barbie with a T says
Excellent idea for a caprese sandwich. Looks delicious. (and it is only 7 a.m. here). I could eat that for breakfast.
I agree, a breakfast caprese sandwich should be on the menu somewhere.
Barbie with a T says
Is it a coincidence or what? That grilled sandwich looks like the Italian flag!!
I love Caprese salad with bread, the sandwich is a great idea! Great for preparing ahead of time for a picnic!
I agree…perfect for a picnic, thanks for the idea.
Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says
A really lovely take on grilled cheese. Perfect summer lunch.
I know, the balsamic and olive oil really puts it over the top.
Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat says
This may be the best sandwich ever. Can you adopt me?
Sure…come over, we have room.
I make a caprese sandwich that is good, but a grilled one? I gotta try this…
You do need to try it!!
Killer recipe, Cathy. Every element is exactly right!