What can I say besides...wow and wow. What a perfect summer recipe, why you ask? Because you only have to turn on the stove for like, 5 minutes, to make this incredible dessert. And it's perfect for all of the proclaimed "non-bakers" out there. And you get to make fire...it's all good to me! The men might even get involved in this one.
It's amazing what a little flammable rum can accomplish! Look at this nice little flame...you will impress with this one. Now, your regular 80o Proof rum will not ignite, you have to use something stronger, such as Bacardi 151o. Of course on the back of the Bacardi bottle it will tell you NOT to ignite drinks or dishes that have 151 in them. Well, yeah...cause it's flammable. But that's how they have been making flaming, table-side desserts for years! Don't worry folks, this does not explode into some large flame in your pan...it's small but beautiful and caramelizes those bananas and sugar into a warm, yummy dessert.
The warm bananas scooped over vanilla ice cream turn this into a very "adult sundae" your guests will not forget. Elegant and easy, the way summer entertaining should be.
The toasted pecans give a nice texture to the finished dish.
Two Years Ago: Brown Sugar and Toasted Almond Ice Cream
Four Years Ago: Tantalizingly Tangy Chili-Cheese Dogs
Butterscotch Bananas with Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 bananas peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup Bacardi 151*
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat a nonstick skillet on low-med heat. Add pecans into dry skillet and toast until fragrant; about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet (I used my 12" cast iron) over med heat. Add the sugar and cinnamon, stirring until smooth, about 3-4 minutes.
- Carefully add bananas, stirring to coat them with the butter-sugar mixture. Remove from heat and evenly sprinkle rum around the bananas. Carefully ignite with a match and wait for the flame to go out. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Serve the bananas and sauce over the ice cream.
- *Make sure flame is completely burned out before serving. The flame can burn clear towards the end and can appear it has finished when it hasn't. Just look closely.