Happy Saturday everyone. I know lots of of you have been on a healthy eating kick since the New Year...congrats. And now it's the weekend, which can be more challenging to stay on track.
There is often more temptation when you're at home so you need to have things in place to satisfy your hunger. In my healthy eating post a few days ago I mentioned eating 5-6 times per day instead of three. This really helps maintain those hunger pains.
I eat 5 times per day and each meal/snack consists of a 220-240 calorie count. To stick with it, I have to really be mindful about what goes in my mouth.
Anyway, a dip like this fits into healthy eating perfectly. You can keep it in the fridge for a daily snack or bring it to work to help get through the day. Or bring it to a party where you know there will be lots of snacking and cheesy dips, this will let you indulge without overindulging.
While this dip is reminiscent of hummus, the cottage cheese tones down the very strong flavor of the chickpeas. Don't get me wrong, I love hummus but having variety in my daily meals is important for me.
There are a few low-calorie serving vehicles I love to get this dip to my mouth. Grape tomatoes and celery are perfect and almost inconsequential calorie wise. My favorite crackers are these 34 Degrees Rosemary Crisps. Only 50 calories for nine of them and they taste good.
Rosemary-Garlic (low-calorie) Dip
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Garbanzo (chickpeas) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cottage cheese, 2% milk fat
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 heaping teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend until creamy; about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let flavors meld.
- Serving size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 103
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 5 mg
Remember what I said the other day about serving yourself in cute, little dishes...it helps!