Three Cheese “Mexican Style” Sausage Dogs with Avocado

P1040924x
These dogs? Quite good. Well, better than good…fantastic. How could it be wrong with all that cheesy goodness and creamy avocado. Look at it all….! I am not really the mustard, ketchup person when it come to eating dogs.

I like them dressed up, in something unique. Which is why I really enjoyed doing this. It keeps things fresh and new. That’s important!

P1050019x
Speaking of fresh and new, have you seen Johnsonville’s new smoked grilling links? This is what I used in this recipe. It was a fantastic twist with my other ingredients. Big chunks of cheddar cheese and jalapeno in every bite. Yum.

Do you have a favorite family recipe using sausage? Johnsonville is currently running a “Classic Cookoff” contest, which could win your family a new tablet computer and sausage for a year! Enter here for your chance to win, you just never know!!

P1040912x
The dogs are a triple-cheese-threat. The sausage is full of hunks of cheddar cheese, that’s one. Then I took my very favorite hot dog buns, (not those crappy ones, you know which ones I’m talking about) and filled them with Manchego cheese. I popped these guys in the toaster oven until the rolls were nice and toasty and the cheese was all melty.

Now, I want to know how many of you have a toaster oven? I didn’t grow up with one, and got my first when I was about 25 years old. I could never live without one now. Growing up, I don’t even know how our family functioned without this awesome appliance! I use it at 5-10 times a day. It’s up there with my food processor as one of my favorite kitchen appliances. This is the toaster oven I have, and I love it. Love it!!

If you watch Housewives of New York City with Sonja and all her toaster oven cooking-crazy…well, I get her! At least that part of her.

Print Recipe

Three Cheese Mexican Style Sausage Dogs with Avocado

Recipe from: Created by Noble Pig | Serves: 6

Ingredients

• 3 cups shredded Manchego cheese
  • 6 good quality hot dog buns
  • 6 Johnsonville Jalapeno & Cheddar Smoked Sausage Links
  • 3 avocados, diced
  • juice of one lime
  • 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1 Tablespoon minced chives

Directions

• Add 1/2 cup Manchego cheese to each hot dog bun and toast until cheese is melted.
  • Meanwhile, grill or boil sausage links until cooked through. Place sausage in bun with melted cheese. Top each sausage dog with avocado, squeeze of lime juice, Cotija cheese, red onion and a sprinkling of chives.

P1040994x
Just what you wanted for dinner…a bite of this…..yum.

Two Years Ago: Low-Maintenance Risotto
Four Years Ago: Take ‘Em Off or Leave ‘Em On

Disclosure: Johnsonville provided me with the sausage for this post. However, all opinions are my own.

11 Comments and 9 Replies

1. j3nn 1

I have never ever considered dressing a hot dog/sausage in Mexican flavors… Until now! OMG. That sounds muy delicioso!

2. Anne 3

I must say that these look and sound pretty incredible, and I’m not a fan of hot/spicy (read “jalapeno”) food. I would not have thought of avocado to accompany sausage, but why not? Never heard of Cojito cheese–is there a substitute you can recommend in case I can’t find it? I suspect my husband is going to want to add all of the above to our grocery list!

• Cathy 4

Cotija is a hard cow’s milk cheese from Mexico. I have never had a problem finding it in the grocery story, but I guess it depends on where you live. It is a salty cheese that crumbles somewhat easily when you cut it. If you can’t find it I would substitute feta cheese.

Looks to be a healthier choice than chili and cheese topped dogs! Must try it! I am really a mustard and onion only fan….but once in a while I like it dressed with more elaborate ingredients. Thanks.

4. What have you just DONE??? These look fabulous Cathy. Perfect for this Sunday’s football game. I’ve not seen those Johnsonville Sausages, but you can bet I’ll hunt them down, if it takes a trip to every grocery store in Denver. :)

5. clsam 9

Cathy, which hot dog buns did you use? And yes, I hate those crappy ones, I DO know what you’re talking about it!

6. Now that is how to do a dog!

7. Good lord, woman, these look fantastic!! I can’t believe I wasn’t aware that J-Ville has jalapeno & cheddar dogs, I’m so disappointed in myself. But I’ll make it up to me and get all the fixin’s for these and then I’ll love myself again. :-)

8. John Hogan 15

Dear Noble Pig,
    I also love my toaster oven. If you love your Oster you must visit Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma and purchase a Breville Smart Oven you won’t be sorry! I follow your blog on a daily basis and love your recipe collection. I have used so many of these and enjoyed them all.

John Hogan

9. Wow!!!! Those look awesome. Totally fabulous. Its sounding so Yummy.

10. What a fantastic recipe! I am a massive BBQ fan and love whipping out my grill to work some magic but in all honesty I have become stuck in a rut with my recipes and know I need to try something new. I have never seen anyone serve anything like this in England so I will definitely be giving it a go! Thank you!

11. Rae-Ann 19

I love the combination in this recipe. It’s football season again and I am in search of tailgating recipes. We have 15-30 people at our Stanford tailgate parties in a parking lot and they are all great cooks. I’m curious about the sausages. Do they have a bit of heat to them? I’m thinking the combination with the cheese mellows them a bit, but how are they alone?