Since I live in a rural area, sometimes it's impossible to get to the grocery store to grab something for dinner. However, now that I think of it, even when living in the city proper, it can still be impossible to get to the market. That's when we are faced with searching the fridge and pantry for inspiration, in hopes to make something everyone in our household will be happy with.
I have to say, rotisserie chicken has saved me many times. I make it a point to shred the chicken leftovers right after we have feasted on it for a meal. Still at the table, I pick it apart as I drink that last glass of wine. I find it's much easier to do it right then and get it out of the way. I can then use the leftovers for chicken salad, in eggs, and today it was burritos.
I threw this meal together with 2 cups of leftover chicken, a can of black beans, five leftover tortillas and some cheese. It turned out so good because instead of just wrapping and serving the burrito, I fried it a little in the skillet. Wow, it was excellent. It kind of elevated it's burrito status, making it very "chimichanga" like, without the need for deep frying.
The beauty of this recipe is you don't need exact amounts of anything, use what you have and make as many burritos as you want.
To top off the burrito, I made a habanero cream with this sauce and sour cream. I am in love with these sauces, they are just so versatile and made with Oregon Pinot Noir, what's not to love. They are available in our tasting room in Carlton if you happen to be in Oregon or right here online. If you come by, you can taste them and savor their goodness!
Anyway, the burritos were awesome and I didn't have to leave my house to get dinner on the table. Hopefully you can find inspiration in your fridge tonight, it's easier than you think.
Cheesy Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
And here is what is really going on when you step back from the food I am photographing. She is never more than a foot away and is always hoping a little morsel makes it to the floor.
Four Years Ago: Caprese Salad Kebabs with Spinach-Basil Pesto
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- Heading into the wild blue yonder. #vacation #springbreak @ Yokohama Beach https://t.co/thof36zLwU, 9 hours ago
- Another exhausting day... @ Yokohama Beach https://t.co/3A0H6yIaR4, 11 hours ago
- Hmmm, what should I have in my omelet this morning...so many choices @embassywaikiki. @ Embassy… https://t.co/bZtJLPDuAG, 16 hours ago
- An evening swim @embassywaikiki = happy kids. @ Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk https://t.co/ywSBj8sdRR, Mar 25
- Yes, this 6-layer Carrot Cake is being served at a bowling alley. The bakery crawl continues.… https://t.co/rKVdhEgilL, Mar 25