I went to Costco this past week. I swear they take all of my money. Okay, I do give it to them willingly, but geez it's impossible to control myself there. The meat...it's fabulous. The produce...it's perfect. The goodies, gadgets and everything else...gotta have it.
I came home with loads of sugar snap peas, apples, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, rib-eye steaks, lamb chops, gigantical shrimps, lump crab, already-peeled hard-boiled eggs, bulbs for the garden, garden pots, spring cleaning supplies, dog treats, Pioneer Woman's new cookbook (I have to make those donuts), regular almonds, sliced almonds, pinenuts, crackers, spreads, cheeses and deli meats, fresh white socks, new Spring colored towels... OMG the list goes on and on. I begged my husband to go by himself..."leave me at home, I'll give you a list". I know the damage I do there. He took me anyway. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
My checkout guy said, "Hey, this is better than gambling. At least you get to go home with lots of stuff." Umm, yeah, that's one way of looking at it. Thanks for the analogy?? It was a strange conversation that quickly turned to him also having psychic abilities. Okay...bye Mr. Checkout Man, I'll make sure to not come in your weird line again. Bub-bye. It was odd, just take my word for it.
Anyway, what I also consider a major score at Costco is already peeled and cubed butternut squash. And as an aside, I have never had a local grocery store that carries fresh butternut already cut up. Not to mention those same stores have never carried it frozen either. I would buy it frozen...I think. I absolutely hate cutting up raw butternut. It scares me. I just know the knife is going to flip and cut off something or scar me forever. Bad. I've watched videos, I've tried...I don't like it. I've done the whole hand-knife-cutting-stitches thing....it wasn't fun.
So I got this butternut home and before I even put all my Costco loot away, I started in on it. Melting butter and sugar and five spice....heavenly. Just heavenly. Husband not amused that as he was lugging in the 50 loads of merchandise I couldn't live without, I was completely distracted by getting this in the oven. Oops.
Roasted Brown Sugar-Five Spice Butternut Squash
I love butternut squash so much I want to serve it as an appetizer....I wonder what people would think?
Three Years Ago: Sweet Potato Spice Cookies
Four Years Ago: Peanut Butter-Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- RT @ParadeMagazine: Calling all dill pickle lovers! 12 Mouth-Puckering Dill Pickle #Recipes from @noblepig http://t.co/tnGdFdh09O http://t.co/m7YUkkqd9T, 12 hours ago
- My perfect lunch...Avocado-Black Bean Bowl with a little lime, hot dauce and salt. So happy to be… https://t.co/bsLoL5wfJI, 18 hours ago
- RT @TheRedheadBaker: Almond Butter Crunch Ice Cream by @NoblePig http://t.co/FKGPNeMPoa #almonds, Apr 16
- 12 Mouth-Puckering Dill #Pickle Recipes http://t.co/g3uWrpFA0C Make them all! @ParadeMagazine http://t.co/dEzejubY2e, Apr 16
- The mint is already going insane in my garden, which means a Mojito party is on the horizon. @ Noble… https://t.co/JhKUyJUh9N, Apr 15