Brisket....I'm licking my lips. I love it. I've always loved it...as long as it's cooked right. Let's face it, it's a tough, flat piece of meat. It's a chest muscle. The only way to cook it right, is low and slow...which is why we braise. And the Guinness adds a nice layer of deep complexity to the sauce, just like red wine does to a pot roast. However, since the barley used to make Guinness is roasted, you get this really deep flavor in dished like this.
Braising melts all that intramuscular fat and works through the connective tissues. It's a three method process and worth every minute of time spent. Braising includes browning, deglazing and simmering, but really, the meat is in the oven most of the time...you might as well just forget about it and go read a book.
The torture comes in with the amazing smells coming from the kitchen....it leaves me hungry all day. ALL. DAY. I end up snacking on things I shouldn't because of that meat smell. UGH. Let's just say I might have eaten a few too many cookies yesterday. UGH. And why does smelling meat make me eat cookies?
Anyway...this will go perfectly on your St. Patrick's Day table...I made some crunchy red potatoes on the side. I just browned them in some butter and added coarse salt and parsley. But this dish begs to be served with mashed potatoes as well...mostly to sop up all that sauce....yum.
Guinness Braised Brisket
And here's the perfect Pin for this recipe, just use your Pin It button. Are you following me on Pinterest? Please do!
One Year Ago: Almond & Pine Nut Dessert Crostini
Two Years Ago: Peeps Sunflower Cake
Three Years Ago: Grilled Caesar Salad with Roasted Garlic-Salted Pepitas
Four Years Ago: Guinness Stout Chocolate Layer Cake
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- RT @ParadeMagazine: Calling all dill pickle lovers! 12 Mouth-Puckering Dill Pickle #Recipes from @noblepig http://t.co/tnGdFdh09O http://t.co/m7YUkkqd9T, Apr 18
- My perfect lunch...Avocado-Black Bean Bowl with a little lime, hot dauce and salt. So happy to be… https://t.co/bsLoL5wfJI, Apr 17
- RT @TheRedheadBaker: Almond Butter Crunch Ice Cream by @NoblePig http://t.co/FKGPNeMPoa #almonds, Apr 16
- 12 Mouth-Puckering Dill #Pickle Recipes http://t.co/g3uWrpFA0C Make them all! @ParadeMagazine http://t.co/dEzejubY2e, Apr 16
- The mint is already going insane in my garden, which means a Mojito party is on the horizon. @ Noble… https://t.co/JhKUyJUh9N, Apr 15