Brisket....I'm licking my lips. I love it. I've always loved it...as long as it's cooked right. Let's face it, it's a tough, flat piece of meat. It's a chest muscle. The only way to cook it right, is low and slow...which is why we braise. And the Guinness adds a nice layer of deep complexity to the sauce, just like red wine does to a pot roast. However, since the barley used to make Guinness is roasted, you get this really deep flavor in dished like this.
Braising melts all that intramuscular fat and works through the connective tissues. It's a three method process and worth every minute of time spent. Braising includes browning, deglazing and simmering, but really, the meat is in the oven most of the time...you might as well just forget about it and go read a book.
The torture comes in with the amazing smells coming from the kitchen....it leaves me hungry all day. ALL. DAY. I end up snacking on things I shouldn't because of that meat smell. UGH. Let's just say I might have eaten a few too many cookies yesterday. UGH. And why does smelling meat make me eat cookies?
Anyway...this will go perfectly on your St. Patrick's Day table...I made some crunchy red potatoes on the side. I just browned them in some butter and added coarse salt and parsley. But this dish begs to be served with mashed potatoes as well...mostly to sop up all that sauce....yum.
Guinness Braised Brisket
And here's the perfect Pin for this recipe, just use your Pin It button. Are you following me on Pinterest? Please do!
One Year Ago: Almond & Pine Nut Dessert Crostini
Two Years Ago: Peeps Sunflower Cake
Three Years Ago: Grilled Caesar Salad with Roasted Garlic-Salted Pepitas
Four Years Ago: Guinness Stout Chocolate Layer Cake
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- Dill Pickle Dip! #fourthofjuly #bbq @ Noble Pig World Headquarters https://t.co/kPujdg1lGl, 11 hours ago
- Our field is hayed for the year. HAPPY 4TH OF July everyone. Keep safe. @ Noble Pig World Headquarters https://t.co/5bPyBeeT6G, 14 hours ago
- Thank you #Bertolli for sending over this gorgeous vintage-inspired bottle of EVOO to commemorate… https://t.co/IuVy5rY6L1, Jul 2
- Can't wait to dig into diannemjacob 's newest edition of Will Write for Food. #justdelivered @ Noble… https://t.co/KKMD9aEjiG, Jul 2
- My husband accuses me of spoiling the dog, but come on...how can I not? #waterbowl #thirstygirl… https://t.co/RLxamwE2jw, Jul 2