I have made lots of rice puddings. The first time was from a Spanish cookbook and required four hours of cooking time. (I would never have time for that now.) The result was burned rice on the bottom…the top half was good though.
Obviously the time spent on that recipe was not necessary. This pudding is fabulous after 25 minutes of cooking. Using a vanilla bean really gives it a nice flavor. You will love this recipe!!
On a side note…the pudding will look a bit loose when cooked and still warm, it will thicken to the perfect consistency upon cooling.
Best-Ever Rice Pudding
From Fine Cooking
4-2/3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup white rice, such as Carolina long grain, basmati, jasmine or arborio
7 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 three inch cinnamon stick
2 large egg yolks
In a 4-quart saucepan, combine 4 cups of the milk with the rice and sugar. With a pairing knife, split the vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, and add them to the pan. Add the scraped vanilla bean and the cinnamon stick and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring frequently but gently, until the rice is completely tender, about 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Whisk in about 1 cup of the hot rice mixture. Pour the egg mixture back into the pan, add the remaining 2/3 cup milk, and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly blended. Put the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, just until the mixture begins to boil, about 2 minutes.
Transfer the rice pudding to a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on its surface. Set the bowl in an ice bath to cool the pudding quickly. When cool, discard the cinnamon stick and the vanilla bean. Divide the pudding among 6 small bowls or ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Subscribe by emailEnter your email address in the box below to receive notifications directly to your inbox each time there is a new blog post!
TWEETS @ noblepig
- 25 Not-So-Scary #Halloween Desserts https://t.co/0WyKqpAIJn via @Melissa_MSSK https://t.co/2Cdh6wj2q0, 16 hours ago
- See THE BEST DILL #PICKLE SANDWICH made on video https://t.co/463nTZLSEK perfect for #GameDay https://t.co/cGB7RrTQEu, 17 hours ago
- 25 Comfort-Inducing Macaroni and #Cheese Recipes https://t.co/cjDQzxnYRc https://t.co/8CLH8zdlDW, 17 hours ago
- Sauerkraut & #Kielbasa Nachos w/Cracked Pepper-Dijon Cream https://t.co/CMNQnq7PXi #GameDay https://t.co/cGomYhLAaX, 18 hours ago
- “SLOW COOKER CRANBERRY APPLE CIDER” https://t.co/9MbIXNT2cW via @thereciperebel https://t.co/frcThlzR1E, 18 hours ago