Bacon, Tomato and Cheddar Breakfast Bake with Eggs

Let start by saying that the flavor in this breakfast bake is absolutely fantastic.  We couldn’t stop eating it.  My husband came out of his cave (office) four times while I was making this.  The aromas were just so hearty and comfort-food-smelling, he couldn’t stay away.

Between the knock your socks off flavor, the crisp bottom and the chewy moist bread?  Oh my goodness, this is a breakfast I want to wake up to.  The truth is, it’s great for dinner too.  It’s one of those meals that you take the first bite and throw your head back as you are experiencing the incredible flavors.

If you have a houseful coming home for the holidays, I recommend making this…however, with food this good, they may not go home!!

I think this might just be on the Christmas breakfast table…it’s that delicious.  Try it for yourself…you will see!

Preheat oven to 350o F.  Lightly oil a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.  In a large bowl, toss the bread with the olive oil and spread on a large rimmed baking sheet.  Bake for about 20 minutes, tossing once or twice, until the bread is golden and lightly crispy.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes.  Transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain: reserve 2 Tablespoons of the fat in the skillet.

Add the onion to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and cook until liquid is evaporated, about 3 minutes.

Return the toasted bread cubes to the bowl.  Add the contents of the skillet, along with the bacon, shredded cheeses, chives and broth.  Stir until the bread is evenly moistened.  Spread the mixture in the baking dish and cover with lightly oiled foil.

Bake the bread mixture in the center of the oven for 30 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake until the top is crispy, about 15 minutes longer.  Carefully remove the baking dish from the oven and using a ladle, press 6 indentations into the bread mixture (you can do 8 if you want to).  Crack an egg into each indentation.  Return the dish to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny.  Cook longer if you do not want runny yolks.

Serve right away while it’s warm.

This is the perfect little nest for an egg…you will not be disappointed!

Bacon, Tomato and Cheddar Breakfast Bake with Eggs
Adapted from Food & Wine

1 pound white artisan bread cut into 1″ cubes (16 cups)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound sliced applewood smoked bacon or other good quality smoked bacon, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
One 28 ounce can whole Italian tomatoes-drained, chopped and patted dry
1/2 pound extra-sharp cheddar, shredded (8 ounces)
1/2 pound Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (8 ounces)
2 Tablespoons snipped chives
1-3/4 cups chicken broth
6 large eggs

Serve right away while it’s warm.

Two Years Ago: Pumpkin Spice Pancakes with Cinnamon Syrup

38 Comments and 1 Reply

1. Excuse me while I go wipe up the drool from my desk… I will be making this breakfast bake on Saturday! I’ll have to put cheesy scrambled eggs on DH’s side, but I think it will be delicious both ways! Thank you for putting this recipe on my radar!

2. Lisa 2

would this work for scramble eggs, if so, how would you do? This looks amazing!!

3. Wow! That looks unbelievably good! Anything with that much bacon has got to be delicious. I love how the eggs are baked whole. Very nice!

4. marty 4

Oh. My. What a great sight to wake up to this morning! This looks amazing and I cannot wait to try it! I’m always looking for breakfast-for-a-crowd recipes.
    Thanks!

5. Noble Pig 5

Oh….I wouldn’t.  Scramble them and put them on the side.

6. Faith 6

I can’t wait to make this. I wish I cold have it for breakfast this morning. I will serve this when I have my Christmas brunch. Thanks!

7. YUM! I was looking for something to make on Christmas morning and now the search is over! This looks delicious.

8. That would be perfect for our crowd on Christmas morning! Theresa

9. Gary 9

I plan to make this at my first opportuity.

10. The only thing I might change is replacing the tomatoes with sun-dried. I’m totally addicted to them and use them whenever a recipe calls for tomatoes; otherwise, WOW! I was half expecting the carb to be potatoes, but I will DEFINITELY be making this with the bread!

11. Rose 11

Great timing! Oodles of family going to gma’s for Thanksgiving – this will be perfect for the “family” breakfast! Can hardly wait to dig in!

12. May I just say that one thing I’ve always loved about you, Cathy, is your LOVE of bacon? 😉 This looks fabulous! Definitely a great recipe for Christmas morning breakfast or New Year’s Day. Super yum–thank you, dear! :-)

Shirley

13. this looks wonderful !! we have a half loaf of bread left that I was going to make a bread pudding with, now I think it may be this…

14. Before I even read that you suggested this for Christmas morning I had already cut and pasted the recipe with that note attached! Some flat leaf parsley or cilantro over the top and it would literally look like Christmas! I don’t know where you find the time between making and selling your wonderful wine and raising your family but I’m glad you do – your recipes are always ones I want to make immediately!

15. Larry 15

I just love this meal and will have to try it very soon.

16. I’m hungry as it is, so this just leveled me.

17. I love these type of bakes. We use them at church often in the winter for our social time after church. This would be delightful one for Christmas when our daughter comes home from school. She doesnt’ like the one I normally make since she hates hash browns. She would gobble this up

18. laura 18

i could really use some of this right now!

GOOD GLORY!!! I must now go see if I have the ingredients…for dinner…I too, might be drooling.

20. Ooh baby that looks good!

22. Bugaboo 22

Yes please, lots & lots of this breakfast. Stat!

23. Arland Dorais 23

Oh, this will be on my table Christmas morning! I’ll be making a batch before then, just to make sure its yummy… Like it wouldn’t be or something! Oh, I want that now!

How beautifully that breakfast turned out! It is so pretty and has the perfect ingredients to satisfy anybody. That would be perfect for overnight guests. Also your photography is excellent. Congratulations to the winner of the Kitchenaid Mixer. That was a fun giveaway. Looking forward to the next one!

25. This looks so beautiful! What a perfect holiday breakfast for Thanksgiving or Christmas! I can’t wait to try it!

26. Kari 26

This looks delicious! I’ve been looking around for some new breakfast recipes. I host my family (20+) every year for Christmas Eve and every year we choose a different theme for the menu. This year is breakfast/brunch so I may just have to try this one. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

best vehicle for eggs ever, and i’m not exaggerating in the slightest.

28. Garden Suite is a self catering cottage offered by Fullham Lodge. The sea view from your double bed room will take your breath away, as will the comfort and sheer spaciousness of the lounge area. The Garden Suite also boasts a private patio and seperate entrance, giving you unlimited freedom and privacy.

29. We are having this for Christmas brunch! Looks marvelous!
    Bernice
    link to livingthebalancedlife.com

30. just found this through pinterest. this is amazing. my kids and husband saw me looking at this picture and are now begging for me to make it!!!!

31. This will definitely be made the next time I have weekend company.

32. Joelle 32

I’ve made this twice and it was the first big breakfast dish I made, but it’s so good I can’t find a single thing tastier which has since then created really disappointing breakfast experiences.

If I could I would make this at least once a month. This is the best breakfast you will ever make.

(also the thicker cut of bacon you can get the better :])

33. Lisa 33

I don’t know where you find your ideas for recipes but I want to make each & every one! Maybe a cookbook is in your future????

34. Amanda 34

This is why I love you to bits.
    (But I also hate you a little. How can you eat all the things you post and stay skinny? You must run a marathon like every other day.)

35. Fries and Gravy 35

Looks delectable…has anyone made it ahead to the egg baking stage? That would be the ultimate.

36. Morgan 36

Would it be possible to add potatoes to this? Possibly 1/2 bread 1/2 potatoes? What would be the best way to incorporate potatoes, you think?

37. Beverly 37

Could you make this ahead of time and leave it till the next morning and put the eggs in then and finish the backing?

38. Erik Jensen 38

Anyone have suggestions on how to incorporate white mushrooms or is that a bad idea?
    I’m trying to make a casserole with as many traditional Irish Breakfast items as possible.