Mushroom & Fettuccine with Red Pepper Flakes

Oh how we love quick, yummy dinners over here! This dish has loads of flavor and a bit a heat from the red pepper flakes. It was pretty snazzy and sophisticated all around.

Here's my favorite part. Probably one the best wine/food pairings with Oregon Pinot Noir is anything with an earthy, mushroom flavor. This recipe calls for either a red or white wine deglazing of the pan, poured right into the mushrooms. I have done it with both our Noble Pig Pinot Noir and our Noble Pig Pinot Gris, then served the dish with the same wine. Fantastic!! The Pinot Noir complements all the earthy flavors of the mushrooms and the dry, crisp Pinot Gris is light enough to let the mushroom flavors shine through. Perfection.

I hope you give this a try and enjoy it with a lovely glass of Pinot!!

Yum.

• 1-1/2 lbs Sliced baby bellas or cremini mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup Dry red or white wine
  • 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan
  • Salt to taste
  • Chopped fresh parsley

Directions

• Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain pasta reserving 1/2-1 cup of the pasta water; set aside.
  • Heat butter and oil in a saute pan over medium-high. When bubbles subside add garlic and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms, cooking until they release their liquid and it's nearly evaporated, about 20 minutes. Deglaze pan with wine, simmering until nearly evaporated.
  • Add fettuccine to pan and stir in pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, until it loosely coats pasta. Off heat, toss pasta with Parmesan and season with salt. Garnish each serving with chopped parsley and more Parmesan.

Perfect wine Pairing: Noble Pig Pinot Noir or Noble Pig Pinot Gris - depending on whether you deglaze with white or red wine

24 Comments and 1 Reply

1. Ally_R 1

This looks just too good for words!

2. Diane 2

That looks good! I love pepper flakes – normally only on pizza though so I will be adventurous and try it on something else too!

3. Julia 3

This looks delicious… especially how you got such a lovely caramelization on the ‘shrooms.

4. Look at those beautiful bottles of wine! And that pasta doesn’t look too bad either! yum. :-)

5. Christine 5

Looks delicious! I love mushrooms, although I don’t have many friends who feel the same way. It’s kind of funny how people tend to either LOVE or HATE mushrooms! No one seems to be able to remain neutral on them. That’s okay, though — it just means that when I make this I won’t have to share. 😛

Just a quick question: are ‘red pepper flakes’ also known as ‘chili flakes’? Because when I hear ‘red pepper flakes’ I think of flakes made from the same kind of vegetable that paprika is made from.

6. I *love* mushrooms cooked this way. Yum, yum, yum!! :)

7. Noble Pig 7

8. Dale 8

This sounds great…looks great. I too, am from a small Northern California college town that built a tunnel to save toads from vehicular frog-slaughter. Now in Salem, but visit McMinnville often. Looking forward to getting to know your wine more! Thanks…

9. LilSis 9

YUM! Not only does it sound super easy, but it looks delicious. I’ve finally gotten the guys in my house to like mushrooms. I’ll be trying this one out on them soon. A lot of times when a recipe calls for mushrooms, I’ll use a combo of baby bellas, creminis, and shitakes. I can’t wait to try it out on this dish.

10. this looks delicious and easy… I will have to try this with some of our Noble Pig wine!! :)

11. MissPi 11

Goodness! I’m gonna need a mop for the drool, this looks so very delicious!

I can just imagine the “kick” that the red pepper flakes give to this dish of earthy mushrooms and pasta. You know my taste…..anything Italian! I like Pinot too!

13. Katrina 13

That looks SO good! And I love that it’s super simple.

14. Thanks you … .as.s.s.

15. Dana 15

This looks absolutely delicious… I love anything with mushrooms or some heat, so this is a winning combo for me!

16. megan 16

That has me salivating just looking at it….

17. Red pepper flakes pick up a lot of things besides pizza.

18. Yum. Yum. YUM!

19. Mmmmmm…this looks amazing!

20. Tiffany 20

YUMMY! I made this tonight for dinner. I loved how easy it was! Next time I think I will grill up some steak to throw in! Thanks for the recipe.

21. Katrina 21

A-ma-zing. I made this for dinner last night and the smell alone was enough to bring my husband drooling into the kitchen. I literally had smack his hand to stop him eating the mushrooms while they cooked…If I hadn’t been so vigilant he probably would’ve ate every last one. The only complaint he had was that it’s meatless-he doesn’t understand that vegetarian is an option sometimes. I like what Tiffany said about adding steak-I think that would be the perfect protein.

22. ohh.. drooooool

23. Ive just made this and Im eating it now. I couldnt find red pepper flakes so I used a black and red pepper and a shitty wine but this still tastes amazing!! Def a quick, cheap and easy meal, thank you!

24. Judy 24

Made it tonight. Threw some red onion dice in. Forgot the parsley, oops… Used Pinot noir. Absolutely delicious, a keeper!!